Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

What a weird season for parity in the West. As bad as the Bombers were for most of the first half (and as mediocre as the offense still is), they probably should have won the Ottawa (weather delay) and Toronto (refs) games, and could have won the BC and Calgary games. Realistically we should be 6-4 and almost could have been home and free at 8-2 without playing anywhere near our best football.

The margins are thin as hell this year.

4 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

What a weird season for parity in the West. As bad as the Bombers were for most of the first half (and as mediocre as the offense still is), they probably should have won the Ottawa (weather delay) and Toronto (refs) games, and could have won the BC and Calgary games. Realistically we should be 6-4 and almost could have been home and free at 8-2 without playing anywhere near our best football.

The margins are thin as hell this year.

I think that's why, in part, some get so riled up over what would seemingly be trivial decisions (who is and isn't on the roster, who is and isn't listed as a starter) .. when you are a veteran team and your window to compete for championships is closing, those are the things that can make or break your season. 

23 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The **** are you talking about?

They had like 5 games in 2006 with Mike Toth, Marty York and Adrion Smith.  It was awful.

They picked up games that otherwise wouldn’t have been televised from 2004-2006, and had dramatically better camera work than the alternatives of the era. The booth work was mid pack, and while York was a pest covering the cfl he wasn’t bad on their panel. 
 You’ve lost the plot if you don’t remember how bad the camera work and quality back then. CBC had a much better panel and booth work than the rest back then or now. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Pretty sad for such an important partner to the cfl. But I mean the cfl can’t be assed to take care of their own stats. It’s the laziest era for the cfl I can recall. 

Sportsnet had really good quality when they had the cfl in the past. 
 It would be heavily dependant on politics, but the best partner for the cfl is the cbc imo. I don’t think they pay like they used to in the Olympics era, but if we could get decent dollars I think the volume of watchers they could bring as well as scheduling flexibility would be huge. 

Camera work yes iirc, or at least very different angles to what we were used to. 

Have to  hard disagree on overall quality though. Sportsnet  announcers were even worse than current TSN, like Rider radio broadcast level bad. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

They picked up games that otherwise wouldn’t have been televised from 2004-2006, and had dramatically better camera work than the alternatives of the era. The booth work was mid pack, and while York was a pest covering the cfl he wasn’t bad on their panel. 
 You’ve lost the plot if you don’t remember how bad the camera work and quality back then. CBC had a much better panel and booth work than the rest back then or now. 

Chris Walby's broken crooked fingers wrapped around the CBC microphone while he mused about the 'Hogs' was classic.

51 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Camera work yes iirc, or at least very different angles to what we were used to. 

Have to  hard disagree on overall quality though. Sportsnet  announcers were even worse than current TSN, like Rider radio broadcast level bad. 

I’d agree that most of the broadcast content is better now across the board. But back then it was also worse across the board for most sports. Tsns primary form of improvement has been through having a new generation of people in front of the camera. 
 I think people have forgotten how bad the old broadcasts used to be. I mean camera work is still bad, but it was horrid back in the day. 
 I vaguely remember them being kind of nooby, but it was honest atleast. I face palm at cjob now a couple times a game tbh. It’s hard to live up to bob. 

47 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Chris Walby's broken crooked fingers wrapped around the CBC microphone while he mused about the 'Hogs' was classic.

Loved those days. CBC really had tremendous on air talent for the cfl. 

10 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

A friendly reminder that Velcro shoes are practical and stylish. 

mmmmmmm in my experience you might get some debate on that depending on who and how they are being worn.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

54 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

mmmmmmm in my experience you might get some debate on that depending on who and how they are being worn.

Honestly, they are exactly what the doctor ordered in all the best assisted living facilities. Take a close look at Jake Thomas’ shoes.

giphy.gif

Edited by Rod Black

10 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Honestly, they are exactly what the doctor ordered in all the best assisted living facilities. Take a close look at Jake Thomas’ shoes.

giphy.gif

Oh for sure from a serious point of view (assisted living etc) but every time my not so serious mind hears velco shoes it also goes to crocs and flip flops and how some might want to rethink how and what they are wearing them with. 🙂

45 minutes ago, Stretch said:

For those slamming Sportsnet and hoping for CBC, remember that the former is basically the sports broadcasting partner of the latter. Similar to TSN and CTV.

The allure of cbc is the massive audience you can reach. I know they’ll never come back with a killer studio crew like they did back in the day. And chances of them ponying up any significant money are slim and none. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I’d agree that most of the broadcast content is better now across the board. But back then it was also worse across the board for most sports. Tsns primary form of improvement has been through having a new generation of people in front of the camera. 
 I think people have forgotten how bad the old broadcasts used to be. I mean camera work is still bad, but it was horrid back in the day. 
 I vaguely remember them being kind of nooby, but it was honest atleast. I face palm at cjob now a couple times a game tbh. It’s hard to live up to bob. 

Loved those days. CBC really had tremendous on air talent for the cfl. 

CBC did the best job of making the game itself seem like a big deal. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/20/saskatchewan-roughriders-qb-trevor-harris-named-cfls-top-performer-for-week-11-by-pff/

“The Bombers’ offensive line led the charge as the highest-graded unit this past week with a group score of 70.7. The best individual grade on the line belonged to left tackle Stanley Bryant who finished with a 70.7 score. He was followed by Canadian left guard Liam Dobson (63.7), then American right tackle Eric Lofton (63.3).“

Another suspicious pff grading. Our ok certainly played much better again vs bc, but big Stan had his roughest game in a while.  Lofton out played him with ease. Randolph out played him as well. 

2 hours ago, Rod Black said:

A friendly reminder that Velcro shoes are practical and stylish. 

Walby would be wise to purchase a pair of those skechers....you just slip your foot into them and away you go....Now size could be a problem and he'd most likely have to have them custom made for those boats

32 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I can’t stand that guy. I know some like him, but I’d seriously rather have Rod Black calling the games. And I HATE Rod Black calling the games, 

I thought Rod retired after his admission to the figure skating hall of fame...??