Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I can’t stand that guy. I know some like him, but I’d seriously rather have Rod Black calling the games. And I HATE Rod Black calling the games, 

He hasn't been there long enough for me to hate him as a pbp announcer. The problem is teaming him with Glen Suitor. He's always been the problem no matter who he's teamed with. 

6 hours ago, bearpants said:

you say this all the time... but can you name one example of someone who was denied access to the team for asking a tough question?? 

C'mon man....  What cave have you been hiding in the past 10 years? ;) The best writers on team beats get hired by the different CFL teams to do their pro team writing on ther website. Ed Tait is an example. Do you think he'll ever write a negative piece about the Bombers who are his employers? Highly unlikely.

Jean Lefebvre, was a Calgary Sun beat writer for years. He was hired in a similar role with the Stamps in charge of Media Relations. From what I heard from another former (laid off by Postmedia) writer LeFebvre wields a lot of power. He controls who gets in & who doesn't get into the press box as well as locker room access. I know of another former Global broadcaster who maintains a media & film company. Lefebvre refuses to let him into the press box even though he covered the team for nearly 30 years. Another former broadcaster who covered the team in the 80's, 90's & 2000's also has to treead lightly around the guy or he's worried he may lose his accreditaion provelidges as well. 

We also now have a Stamps beat write named Danny Austin who I follow on X. Last  game, despite the loss he said that the Stamps really tried hard. That's it. No criticism of play calling or any player. He never criticizes. 

Postmedia is no longer sending anyone to cover the Stamps on road trips. Austin announced that since he's not getting paid to watch the teamon tv that he would no longer have any ongoing commentary on the game on X. he does make a few comments here & there but it's just like a fan watching the game. And guess what? Nothing about the Stamps appear in either the Calgary Herald or Sun the next  publshing day. No storyline. No score, Nothing. It's like the game is never played. 

I do know that there was a time where someone covering the Stamps or Bombers would find a way to cover road games even if their boss said no. Guys like Jack Matheson would have done it for free as they had a passion for the game & absolutely loved the Bombers. The same here in Calgary with guys like Calgary Herald Sports Editor Hal Walker & others. Different generation of media now today who do things a lot different. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

8 hours ago, the watcher said:

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this or commented on it, but TSN hasn't updated their CFL standings page. According to them the Bombers are sitting at 3 wins.  I know it really isn't all that important but it really pisses me off that they pay so little attention to one of the few sports they have exclusive rights to. In my opinion  their attitude towards the CFL is a contributing factor towards the ridiculous attendance at Argo games . I long for the day when the CFL ditches the Toronto Sports Network.

To go where, exactly?? That's the problem. 

5 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Paul Munz? Not Brian??

Combining Edmonds and Munz is fair...

17 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I hated him as a PBP announcer after the first game. He reminds me of a young Paul Munz. 

It is a LOT of guttural yelling for sure.....

37 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

To be fair , I love Paul Edmunds as PBP.

To each their own. I mean that’s the thing about broadcasting voices, it’s very subjective for the most part. (Except Suitor obviously)

I’ve always preferred the drier type of PBP, especially for TV.  Don Wittman was a master of when and how to use emotion without going overboard. Same with Irving. Mark Lee was really underrated too I thought. 

Marshall Ferguson is my favourite currently on TSN right now for the same reason, though he’s still pretty raw and he usually gets really dull east games. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

To each their own. I mean that’s the thing about broadcasting voices, it’s very subjective for the most part. (Except Suitor obviously)

I’ve always preferred the drier type of PBP, especially for TV.  Don Wittman was a master of when and how to use emotion without going overboard. Same with Irving. Mark Lee was really underrated too I thought. 

Marshall Ferguson is my favourite currently on TSN right now for the same reason, though he’s still pretty raw and he usually gets really dull east games. 

TSN doesn't currently have anyone great on football. Gord Miller is the best they have and he doesn't do football anymore. Smith WAS pretty good but he's just so old and he's not really a PBP guy... He can do it, but it's not his forte. Neilson is enthusiastic but not everyone's cup of tea.... Ferguson is so raw. His Ontario accent also drives me bonkers, but that's a whole other thing. 

Bottom line, TSN needs DT and I have no idea why he's not there already unless he just doesn't want to be...

You know it’s funny, I kind of feel bad for Rourke. He seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. He’s got incredible arm talent and dynamic running ability. He got rushed up with hype before he should’ve, gotta get past the sophomore bumps as a starter before mop talks and mega pay days. 

It’s not his fault, but here he is. This league needs QBs, and stars and Canadian stars. I want us to beat him like every one else in the league. But I really want us to shut up the natl media clowns. 

Edited by wbbfan

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

TSN doesn't currently have anyone great on football. Gord Miller is the best they have and he doesn't do football anymore. Smith WAS pretty good but he's just so old and he's not really a PBP guy... He can do it, but it's not his forte. Neilson is enthusiastic but not everyone's cup of tea.... Ferguson is so raw. His Ontario accent also drives me bonkers, but that's a whole other thing. 

Bottom line, TSN needs DT and I have no idea why he's not there already unless he just doesn't want to be...

I agree that TSN doesn’t have a great PBP right now currently. I still think Marshall could be one in time. Cuthbert was pretty raw in the early 90s and he became one of the all time greats. 

I don’t mind Gord Miller, but he has this habit that someone else on here mentioned before of using an incredulous tone on nearly every play. I’d still agree he’s currently better than anyone they have. 

Rod Smith has always been terrible on PBP. He’s a pure desk host. Neilson clearly loves the game, I’ll give him that. He’s just got too much of an obnoxious middle schooler vibe in his voice for me to ever be a fan, and he feigns confusion as a gimmick. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

C'mon man....  What cave have you been hiding in the past 10 years? ;) The best writers on team beats get hired by the different CFL teams to do their pro team writing on ther website. Ed Tait is an example. Do you think he'll ever write a negative piece about the Bombers who are his employers? Highly unlikely.

Jean Lefebvre, was a Calgary Sun beat writer for years. He was hired in a similar role with the Stamps in charge of Media Relations. From what I heard from another former (laid off by Postmedia) writer LeFebvre wields a lot of power. He controls who gets in & who doesn't get into the press box as well as locker room access. I know of another former Global broadcaster who maintains a media & film company. Lefebvre refuses to let him into the press box even though he covered the team for nearly 30 years. Another former broadcaster who covered the team in the 80's, 90's & 2000's also has to treead lightly around the guy or he's worried he may lose his accreditaion provelidges as well. 

We also now have a Stamps beat write named Danny Austin who I follow on X. Last  game, despite the loss he said that the Stamps really tried hard. That's it. No criticism of play calling or any player. He never criticizes. 

Postmedia is no longer sending anyone to cover the Stamps on road trips. Austin announced that since he's not getting paid to watch the teamon tv that he would no longer have any ongoing commentary on the game on X. he does make a few comments here & there but it's just like a fan watching the game. And guess what? Nothing about the Stamps appear in either the Calgary Herald or Sun the next  publshing day. No storyline. No score, Nothing. It's like the game is never played. 

I do know that there was a time where someone covering the Stamps or Bombers would find a way to cover road games even if their boss said no. Guys like Jack Matheson would have done it for free as they had a passion for the game & absolutely loved the Bombers. The same here in Calgary with guys like Calgary Herald Sports Editor Hal Walker & others. Different generation of media now today who do things a lot different. 

I realize that there are issues with the Stamps and the way they are run and covered but I call you on this statement: "Nothing about the Stamps appear in either the Calgary Herald or Sun the next  publshing day." I can't comment on the Herald but the Stamps lost to the Redblacks this past Thursday and the next day (Friday), they were on the front page of the Sun.

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying here... of course teams hire media people to control their message... but how does any of the above have anything to do with media being barred for asking tough questions?... so I'll ask again (because you've made the claim several times) can you name one example of someone in the media being barred from the team for asking tough questions?