Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

57 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hamilton is about a 75/25 Pass/Run offense.  I bet we run with Kramdi/Jones/Griffin set we did against BC quite often again as a primary look....basically 7 DBs, 3-4 DL, 1-2 true LB's.

so that set is about blanketing the field with pass coverage and forcing the TiCat QB to go through his reads, right?  that seemed to be how it worked against BC.

would you adjust that approach based on who's playing QB for Hamilton?  Like if BLM is in there, do you really want to extend the play and give him time to find someone?  figure the guy knows how to progress through his reads by this point in his career.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

so that set is about blanketing the field with pass coverage and forcing the TiCat QB to go through his reads, right?  that seemed to be how it worked against BC.

would you adjust that approach based on who's playing QB for Hamilton?  Like if BLM is in there, do you really want to extend the play and give him time to find someone?  figure the guy knows how to progress through his reads by this point in his career.

If there's 9 guys in coverage it doesn't matter unless there's huge breakdowns.

But they will blitz and show different fronts.  It's not like he's going to have more than 3-4 seconds back there even with 3-4 rushing.  If a QB is on his 3rd read after the snap he's probably already dead.

They'll show a lot of different looks though in terms of where Kramdi, Alexander, Griffin both start pre-snap and end up during the play.

one interesting thing about the second BC game was that Stanback gashed us pretty bad but we never really paid for it on the scoreboard and we continued to drop eight or nine guys.  I wondered why they didn't try to bullyball us.  I've seen the Bombers win games by spamming Oliveira or Harris with just a token passing attack.

So, coming back to the Hamilton game, I think Butler is a better back at this point in their careers, do you worry about the TiCats countering our coverage blanket by committing hard to the run and forcing us to adjust?

26 minutes ago, johnzo said:

one interesting thing about the second BC game was that Stanback gashed us pretty bad but we never really paid for it on the scoreboard and we continued to drop eight or nine guys.  I wondered why they didn't try to bullyball us.  I've seen the Bombers win games by spamming Oliveira or Harris with just a token passing attack.

So, coming back to the Hamilton game, I think Butler is a better back at this point in their careers, do you worry about the TiCats countering our coverage blanket by committing hard to the run and forcing us to adjust?

They healthy scratched Butler last game, I'm not sure if he'll even play. Jury's still out on their new guy Greg Bell. He had some decent runs against EDM but I'm not sure he's a difference maker.

36 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Then the Bombers went with the 40 front and 2 LB's, put them in 2nd and 8 a couple times and they gave up on the run.

3 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’ll take Gauthier in for Bighill if it means Woods and Adams on the field at the same time for the majority of snaps. 

Gauthier wasn’t much of a down grade from biggie any way. 
also helps the ratio if Demski can’t go. 

35 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No one in the cfl has the patience to run the ball that much. 

which is pretty crazy given how prominent the short passing game is. The hash mark change took QBs from attempting 7-9 yard passes to attempting 0-4 yard looks. Idk what the hard stats are but I bet passes behind the line haven’t been even close to this high in the past 30 ish years. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If there's 9 guys in coverage it doesn't matter unless there's huge breakdowns.

But they will blitz and show different fronts.  It's not like he's going to have more than 3-4 seconds back there even with 3-4 rushing.  If a QB is on his 3rd read after the snap he's probably already dead.

They'll show a lot of different looks though in terms of where Kramdi, Alexander, Griffin both start pre-snap and end up during the play.

we did a lot of that in the 21 late season and play off run too. It’s clearly been the strongest base our D has run this year, the strongest any one has really. 
 That and the 4 end package with every one pass rushing the qb. I think that might come back more with Habba back as our pressure pack, with less of the db blitz. 
 All very much the rave down south too with the nikel pack fangio cover 6. Even down to the Iowa state 3s cover 3 pack. 

On 2024-08-20 at 9:35 PM, Noeller said:

Neilson is enthusiastic but not everyone's cup of tea

He has a couple of crutches that bug me and they're both indicative of buying time to think of what to say next.

1 is his halting - period. after. every. word. crutch

2 is adding an "uh" to the end of words'uh. You know what I mean'uh?

Other than that I find him genial and enthusiastic enough although I would prefer a little less of both. But most of what bugs me about him is that he always works with Suitor.

5 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

He has a couple of crutches that bug me and they're both indicative of buying time to think of what to say next.

1 is his halting - period. after. every. word. crutch

2 is adding an "uh" to the end of words'uh. You know what I mean'uh?

Other than that I find him genial and enthusiastic enough although I would prefer a little less of both. But most of what bugs me about him is that he always works with Suitor.

Why is working with Suitor his fault? 

16 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Is it another bye week already? Beginning to wonder with the lack of actual chatter about the team, practice or anything like that. 
I’m off work this week and I need this place for the news I might get around the water cooler or radio. 

Have we heard anything about Demski or Oliveria? Both got knicked up in the game?

totally agree with you...has nothing happened??

On 2024-08-20 at 8:35 PM, Noeller said:

TSN doesn't currently have anyone great on football. Gord Miller is the best they have and he doesn't do football anymore. Smith WAS pretty good but he's just so old and he's not really a PBP guy... He can do it, but it's not his forte. Neilson is enthusiastic but not everyone's cup of tea.... Ferguson is so raw. His Ontario accent also drives me bonkers, but that's a whole other thing. 

Bottom line, TSN needs DT and I have no idea why he's not there already unless he just doesn't want to be...

Smith old? You are one of the biggest age discriminators we have here. He's 58. You're rapidly getting there yourself age wise now thaat your're in your 40's. The way the radio & tv biz is in Canada, you better hope you don't get laid off as you're probably looked upon as old yourself by program directors at least ten years younger than you. Don't fret, though as you can always get a job behind the salex counter at a gas station in Olds. Oh wait, there's that foreign worker thingy going on... 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Smith old? You are one of the biggest age discriminators we have here. He's 58. You're rapidly getting there yourself age wise now thaat your're in your 40's. The way the radio & tv biz is in Canada, you better hope you don't get laid off as you're probably looked upon as old yourself by program directors at least ten years younger than you. Don't fret, though as you can always get a job behind the salex counter at a gas station in Olds. Oh wait, there's that foreign worker thingy going on... 

you're continuously an ancient ray of sunlight around here.  You must have been something before electricity, huh?

25 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You're not your age, you're your energy?

Go Bombers. :-)

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Judging by the transactions page and injury report, I'm guessing it's:

Bighill, Karamoko, Schmekel OFF

Adams, MCI, Lucky Ogbevoen ON

...but we'll see when the depth chart comes out in a bit.

Makes sense. I believe we acquired Feltmate to play FB when MCI went down. Then he got hurt. MCI is now back and rightfully takes his spot back. It comes at the expense of Schmekel because we have the extra depth coming on with Adams (for Bighill) and Lucky OG

We already had a tonne of LB depth so Karamoko is no big loss.