Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Nolby said:

Is the gap where the 13th goes?

I think it is intended to be boofed by Rider fans.

On 2024-08-22 at 10:51 PM, Nolby said:

I'm enjoying this bit of depth were developing at receiver. Bailey not coming back shows we've got a good stable.

As an FWIW item, apparently the reason Bailey was not brought back is that he had a hissy-fit when released as he felt he should have been given preferential treatment because of taking a big pay cut last year.

16 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

CC is terrible but how did the officials get so bad. So many calls that are obviously incorrect. Makes you miss Jake Ireland.

It starts with kids sports it’s so crappy being an official these days with the abuse they have to take you don’t get many sticking with it. This lowers the amount that come up through the ranks. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

That's how they used to do it right? When it was first implemented... and it sucked then too. The problems from my perspective are pretty straight forward.... the CFL made reviews subjective and it caused them to make bad calls, and now that it's become a problem for perception they are knee perking trying to fix things. 

Just get back to basics, making sure the correct call is made. 

Everyone saw in a close up how Alexander took the ball away from White. All, except the CC. It's gone from the occasional screw up to at least one bad call a game now. The problem is just getting worse. It can't be enjoyable working under such pressure. Now, more mistakes are being made because of it. If I was a head referee, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job once I retired. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Everyone saw in a close up how Alexander took the ball away from White. All, except the CC. It's gone from the occasional screw up to at least one bad call a game now. The problem is just getting worse. It can't be enjoyable working under such pressure. Now, more mistakes are being made because of it. If I was a head referee, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job once I retired. 

Yup it even had Forde and Nielsen a bit gobsmacked after watching the replays that it wasn’t overturned. White never secured the ball. And I understand why the field refs called it a catch but this is a perfect example of why coaching challenges were brought into the game but something is obviously amiss in cc land.

11 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

It starts with kids sports it’s so crappy being an official these days with the abuse they have to take you don’t get many sticking with it. This lowers the amount that come up through the ranks. 

Yup anyone who has had kids in sports have seen it first hand. 30 40 50 year old men/women yelling at 14 year old referees. Gross.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

CC is terrible but how did the officials get so bad. So many calls that are obviously incorrect. Makes you miss Jake Ireland.

Guys retiring imo. The league needs to make reffing a decent paid full time positions. The league is hurting bad right now from the quality of rule enforcement. 

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

And let’s be real, the cfls ability to develop and draw refs is terrible. The lowest probably of any pro sport in North America. 

10 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

What a weird season. It's as if somebody wished for the Bombers to be 1 point out of first going into Labour Day, but they did it on a monkey's paw 

No joke. 5 games league wide with a score 40 points or higher. 0 50+ scores. Compared to 6 teams winning scoring 20 points or less, in the last 6 weeks alone. 8 games in the last 6 weeks had a combined score under 40 as well. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

There must be a TON of talent sitting on NFL practice rosters. The product is suffering. 

192 extra spots a year since 2020 for guys that may have given the CFL a shot in the past. 
One thing I’ve noticed due to this is more American rookies coming into the CFL (and playing right away) who weren’t starters in college, especially from power 5 schools. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

18 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup it even had Forde and Nielsen a bit gobsmacked after watching the replays that it wasn’t overturned. White never secured the ball. And I understand why the field refs called it a catch but this is a perfect example of why coaching challenges were brought into the game but something is obviously amiss in cc land.

Yup anyone who has had kids in sports have seen it first hand. 30 40 50 year old men/women yelling at 14 year old referees. Gross.

When I was 14ish I once stopped a soccer game and told one mother the game wasn't starting again until she was gone. But yeah reffing sucked

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Does Zach really only have 5 TD passes?

Every game we question if we will score a offensive TD or not, so sounds about right.

10 minutes ago, Atomic said:

No. CFL only updates their stats site on weekdays. He has 6 TD and 12 INT now.

I noticed that, pretty lame. Especially when their gaming site updates points for fantasy immediately after each game is finished. I think CFL.ca is a league run site and that sure is a fail in my mind. To be successful in anything you have to do the little things right. 

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What pressure are they under?  They never have to explain their decisions and seemingly face no repercussions.

1 hour ago, BomberBall. said:

What pressure are they under?  They never have to explain their decisions and seemingly face no repercussions.

I'm sure the message has come down from above as in CFL Head office, Commissionr, Board of Governors, GMs, fans & media to get it right. I don't like the automatic review of the last 3 minutes of every half on turnovers. Unless it's being challenged by a coach then it shouldn't be automatically reviewed. The CC should stay out of the way & let the teams play. We should only hear from them once a game or none at all. 

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

But less being spent on the OL 

It’s prob close to league average. Receivers and QBs get paid. The OL itself tho used to be elite, now we are probably in reality league average. Nobodies OL is great. Every QB takes shots every game. League average. 

CFLs 2 biggest problems are reffing/replay and the lack of future QBs. We had one and traded him away. Why do ppl think TSN slurps Rourke so hard. Lack of star future QBs. It’s a problem 

If I’m the bombers I’m going after Tre Ford and Powell. 

Edited by Goalie

Will terry Wilson take a snap this season. I hope so in a meaningless game later on but not holding my breath. We all know Streveler isn’t allowed to pass so wonder if Wilson gets a quarter in the last game. 

29 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Will terry Wilson take a snap this season. I hope so in a meaningless game later on but not holding my breath. We all know Streveler isn’t allowed to pass so wonder if Wilson gets a quarter in the last game. 

Maybe if the Bombers have a playoff spot locked up and Zach doesn't dress, other than that, probably not.