Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

our addition of 2 Rifles to the PR does nothing to help us...gives us zero coverage/depth and are total non factors for this season....last yr as well we had a guy on roster for no purpose....sure...its nice and warm and fuzzy showing support to the local junior team, but nobody else does that....because it's pointless.....and if that is the best we can scrounge together for PR depth in lieu of injury or under performing...we are in a sad state of affairs

A legit LB prospect...a Canadian Oline guy who actually has a chance of being on the roster....A legit return demon.....A actually punter....all things that would have served us well the last several weeks....but we seem to be more concerned with running some guys into the ground being not healthy, or just not good enough game in or game out....or playing guys out of positioon.....is that a characteristic of a well functioning team?....I think not...save the public relation and good vibes crap for training camp...or when the PR opens up for that several week window later in the yr....not when you are under seige with injury and lack luster performers...in the heat of a playoff positioning race

I don't think those 2 count as PR spots.  With the addition of Bowers-Kane, we have a full PR of 12 guys and that's not including the 2 Rifles players.  The CBA allows junior players to participate in practice without being signed to a contract so I assume that's what this is since there are zero transactions on the CFL site for either guy.

Not sure about Davis, but Banfield first joined the PR in May so they aren't new additions either.  https://portageonline.com/articles/banfield-joins-blue-bombers-practice-squad

36 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You think a cis kid who didn’t get a single cfl camp shot as an udfa is going to give us depth at Sam? Every cis school had a kid playing sam, and most all of them haven’t gotten a cfl look. We could’ve brought back nico McCarthy who was a Canadian db here in camp. Or gone digging through other teams cuts. 
 A Canadian db who wasn’t drafted and wasn’t brought into any ones camp doesn’t provide mid season depth in the cfl. That guy has a 0% chance of stepping in at Sam and succeeding. 
 But we don’t have a need for ni db depth. 

yeah...again...another what's the point signing...I actually liked what McCarthy brought and was kind of surprised we didnt keep him around

29 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I don't think those 2 count as PR spots.  With the addition of Bowers-Kane, we have a full PR of 12 guys and that's not including the 2 Rifles players.  The CBA allows junior players to participate in practice without being signed to a contract so I assume that's what this is since there are zero transactions on the CFL site for either guy.

Not sure about Davis, but Banfield first joined the PR in May so they aren't new additions either.  https://portageonline.com/articles/banfield-joins-blue-bombers-practice-squad

yeah....that is true now I look at it....but then looking at our PR and it's just trash...4 WR's....save for Wheatfall who looks like he has potential....3 of which really (Mitchell, Case, Murphy) serve no purpose and DB in McGhee who was an incumbent...who couldn't beat out new guys, and even when we need to bring a guy om another new DB (Bridges) comes on first...cut bait already with guys who really have zero chance of anything this yr, and ain't the future either

We do have a ton of talent on the 6 game tho. and that takes some of the suckage away, but who knows when they will be back as Osh just plays games when people ask...and they will...or should push the dead weight off and hopefully they never seen again.....but that being said in the meantime it's the perfect time to use the PR to evaluate and then keep/discard guys who just wont be a factor

1 hour ago, Booch said:

our addition of 2 Rifles to the PR does nothing to help us...gives us zero coverage/depth and are total non factors for this season....last yr as well we had a guy on roster for no purpose....sure...its nice and warm and fuzzy showing support to the local junior team, but nobody else does that....because it's pointless.....and if that is the best we can scrounge together for PR depth in lieu of injury or under performing...we are in a sad state of affairs

A legit LB prospect...a Canadian Oline guy who actually has a chance of being on the roster....A legit return demon.....A actually punter....all things that would have served us well the last several weeks....but we seem to be more concerned with running some guys into the ground being not healthy, or just not good enough game in or game out....or playing guys out of positioon.....is that a characteristic of a well functioning team?....I think not...save the public relation and good vibes crap for training camp...or when the PR opens up for that several week window later in the yr....not when you are under seige with injury and lack luster performers...in the heat of a playoff positioning race

As has been mentioned. Junior players are non counters. This is likely why we don't hear about other teams doing it. Bringing in a couple guys who might have what it takes to step forward in their careers is good imo....especially if it costs you nothing.

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

As has been mentioned. Junior players are non counters. This is likely why we don't hear about other teams doing it. Bringing in a couple guys who might have what it takes to step forward in their careers is good imo....especially if it costs you nothing.

Basically the Western teams use it extensively.  BC has a territorial exemption receiver on PR who is a legit CFL prospect.  One of Calgary's best special teamers was a territorial exemption two years ago.  Cottoy was a territorial exemption.  Logan Ferland was for Sask.

8 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah...again...another what's the point signing...I actually liked what McCarthy brought and was kind of surprised we didnt keep him around

Yep. We had another Final Cut that was an ni db. If every team has 1-2 that are cut each tc that’s a good pile of guys you could dive through who have atleast seen the field with pro level talent. 

5 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

With the Bombers being short Canadians, is this someone they should look at picking up?

Depends on if feltmate/mci will be healthy soon. Though even if they aren’t it’s not a bad move. 
 I wonder if we could look at converting one of our globals to fb. Lucky is not a de in the cfl. Weitz is a bit small but if he packs enough of a punch it’d be fine. 

The junior freebies are great for grass roots development. We arent at a point where it’s going to yield us a player, though I’m sure it will one day. But it’s a huge investment in the riffles. Those guys soak up a lot and bring it back with them. We’ve seen high upside guys from junior on the pr and in camp. Hasn’t clicked yet but it will at some point.  wade and the brass love and put a lot into the grass roots development. 

So...Biggie out likely a while...if not the season...I assume it's Adams back on again...Stan for Vanterpool?

I'd like us to just continue with the 6 oline guys as Schmeck actually fared well crashing in off the edge...maybe that's his niche this yr as part of the jumbo...and he brings good intensity there...pleasant surprise there

Now when Wilson is ready to go...does it not make sense to add him ...keep Jones and Ayers and dump Johnson? 

With Lawler..Demski..Woli...Wilson..Lucky and Clercius we have more than adequate receiver coverage...still have Augustine and assume when MCI ready to go he bumps the global LB off...so not like Johnson is key to any offensive success and when the leaves start to fall.. and the run game becomes key...The bigger bodied guys...and the skill Lucky brings far surpasses the reps Johnson gets...and having Adams..Ayers..Wilson and Jones all on roster makes our defence very deep 

Our D turned a corner when Wilson went out.

They didn't give up a TD in the first 3 games he was out.

Not sure I'm rushing him back.  Don't really see a good fit for him unless we have a time machine to 2019 or 2021.  Keep playmakers in.  Use Griffin more at WIL.  Like Jones playing more of that tackle to tackle spot with minimal downfield pass coverage responsibility.  I don't see why Gauthier can't essentially fill in for Bighill when we want two more old-school type LB's out there with Jones stepping up to every down.

Kind of like in 2019 when half our secondary lost their jobs when Taylor, Mike Jones and Maston stepped up mid-season.

I think more and more we're seeing guys suited for the roles in this particular scheme get into the lineup and on the field.  And the results pour in.

They need to figure out how to get a pass rush from the DL.  Adams back on should be a no brainer.  Personally I like Garbutt over Haba, keep Haba around if you really want but start bringing guys in who are that 5'11-6'1 230-250 body type to press the edge and maybe win some reps, hassle QB's.

10 hours ago, Booch said:

So...Biggie out likely a while...if not the season...I assume it's Adams back on again...Stan for Vanterpool?

I'd like us to just continue with the 6 oline guys as Schmeck actually fared well crashing in off the edge...maybe that's his niche this yr as part of the jumbo...and he brings good intensity there...pleasant surprise there

Now when Wilson is ready to go...does it not make sense to add him ...keep Jones and Ayers and dump Johnson? 

With Lawler..Demski..Woli...Wilson..Lucky and Clercius we have more than adequate receiver coverage...still have Augustine and assume when MCI ready to go he bumps the global LB off...so not like Johnson is key to any offensive success and when the leaves start to fall.. and the run game becomes key...The bigger bodied guys...and the skill Lucky brings far surpasses the reps Johnson gets...and having Adams..Ayers..Wilson and Jones all on roster makes our defence very deep 

Yeah he looked solid there. 
Just saying, Walby did start out as a DL..

Looking at last yr Neuf was arguably our best O-line guy all yr not named Bryant....so doubt he fell off the map in play like some think in 1 yr....O-line guys generally don't...especially well coached smart ones unless they have no athletic ability to begin with. So was he really hampered with something and we held him in until we figured Randolph/Wallace were up to snuff?

Moving forward if he heals up, is our best lineup for late season ground and pound a unit of Bryant..Dobson...Kolo...Neuf and Coleman.....??

I think we be better served with Bryant....Neuf...Kolo....Randolph and Lofton with Dobson and Eli as the extra's

I use this combo as Lofton and Randolph worked really well in tandem and Neuf is vet enough to switch sides with ease, and him and Bryant in tandem I sure would be more than fine...I keep Kolo in there as I know Osh won't make that move even tho I believe Eli is the better of the 2.....and he actually did fine last game working at guard when thats not his natural position

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Looking at last yr Neuf was arguably our best O-line guy all yr not named Bryant....so doubt he fell off the map in play like some think in 1 yr....O-line guys generally don't...especially well coached smart ones unless they have no athletic ability to begin with. So was he really hampered with something and we held him in until we figured Randolph/Wallace were up to snuff?

Moving forward if he heals up, is our best lineup for late season ground and pound a unit of Bryant..Dobson...Kolo...Neuf and Coleman.....??

I think we be better served with Bryant....Neuf...Kolo....Randolph and Lofton with Dobson and Eli as the extra's

I use this combo as Lofton and Randolph worked really well in tandem and Neuf is vet enough to switch sides with ease, and him and Bryant in tandem I sure would be more than fine...I keep Kolo in there as I know Osh won't make that move even tho I believe Eli is the better of the 2.....and he actually did fine last game working at guard when thats not his natural position

I think that Lofton and Dobson have struggled at times this year. Neuf was very clearly not up to snuff and I was surprised by that, and I think it was pretty apparent something was ailing him. Either Neuf was banged up or he was trying to do too much to help Lofton who has gotten better, but is still not a great RT.

22 hours ago, Booch said:

11 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah he looked solid there. 
Just saying, Walby did start out as a DL..

This. He looked great in the limited reps on heavy set. In pre season he showed much more motor than we saw from him last year, but it hasn’t translated to the field at all on D. 
 I’d continue to carry him as the 7th ol and a general two way big body, but also have him work as an ol in practice. Especially at C. He’s not a huge guy by any means, but he’s a fairly average size Ni C. That motor and mobility could be huge at C, if he can get down snapping. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

the wheels fell off yosh pretty fast. It’s really a testament to how much worse our ok was last year than neufs play as well. 
 He looks 100% toast to me. 
 Larnel Coleman? He was cut a ways back. Randolph has been good at guard, and does have the mobility to play T, but he needs a lot of time and polish there. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

This. He looked great in the limited reps on heavy set. In pre season he showed much more motor than we saw from him last year, but it hasn’t translated to the field at all on D. 
 I’d continue to carry him as the 7th ol and a general two way big body, but also have him work as an ol in practice. Especially at C. He’s not a huge guy by any means, but he’s a fairly average size Ni C. That motor and mobility could be huge at C, if he can get down snapping. 

the wheels fell off yosh pretty fast. It’s really a testament to how much worse our ok was last year than neufs play as well. 
 Larnel Coleman? He was cut a ways back. Randolph has been good at guard, and does have the mobility to play T, but he needs a lot of time and polish there. 

Yeah, that’s the type of versatility the club loves too. If he can keep it up in the heavy set he could carve out a nice career as 2-way depth, or (maybe jumping the gun a bit) even grow into a serviceable starting OL in a few years. 

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I think that Lofton and Dobson have struggled at times this year. Neuf was very clearly not up to snuff and I was surprised by that, and I think it was pretty apparent something was ailing him. Either Neuf was banged up or he was trying to do too much to help Lofton who has gotten better, but is still not a great RT.

yeah...I think he wasnt 100 percent...and was also taking on too much....so looked like he was a weak link...as he was having to favor Lofton's side...and Kolo's....and was a basic pick your poison scenario...and we just didnt have enough fingers to stick in the dyke to stop the leaks

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think tho with Yosh was his size slowly got bigger and bigger...and then the injuries and lack of mobility and quickness got amplified

agree tho...I think we should use Schmeck as that 7th ol for jumbo and emergency on defence guy if Neuf isnt back....I also think we should stop being nice guys and go PR poaching and snag a upside National lineman off someones roster and insert them as the 7th....

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe the expedient thing to do is send Randolph back to the PR once Neufeld returns and prepare him for a position change to LT so he's better prepared once Stanley calls it a day.  Pretty sure after the incident the other week this will be his last season. Benefit to Randolph he'll eventually earn more money on the outside.

19 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Maybe the expedient thing to do is send Randolph back to the PR once Neufeld returns and prepare him for a position change to LT so he's better prepared once Stanley calls it a day.  Pretty sure after the incident the other week this will be his last season. Benefit to Randolph he'll eventually earn more money on the outside.

It’s hard to say if Randolph needs reps in general in the pros/cfl or if he needs time and polishing with Marty. I’d love to pick his brain about some of these guys. 
 I would think best case scenario for his development would be to be on the field this year and maybe slide him to te over the t in the heavy set. 
 I don’t think neuf will be back. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

yeah...I think he wasnt 100 percent...and was also taking on too much....so looked like he was a weak link...as he was having to favor Lofton's side...and Kolo's....and was a basic pick your poison scenario...and we just didnt have enough fingers to stick in the dyke to stop the leaks

I think tho with Yosh was his size slowly got bigger and bigger...and then the injuries and lack of mobility and quickness got amplified

agree tho...I think we should use Schmeck as that 7th ol for jumbo and emergency on defence guy if Neuf isnt back....I also think we should stop being nice guys and go PR poaching and snag an upside National lineman off someone’s roster and insert them as the 7th....

Size and injuries certainly played a huge part in yoshis down turn. Especially when you compound that with age. Imo, super tall linemen drop off more from age. Right up there with super heavy weights weighing 340+. Which again yosh was probably 350 plus last year. 

loftons struggles have been speed off the edge epically on deep paths. Which isn’t mobility based imo, we saw him kick step like he was trying to win a 2 stepping race this year. (Right into Zachs lap lol) I think his primary limiting factor is his ability to improve mechanics. He makes the same mistakes now as he did in his first trip here. He’s gotten better, but he’s basically a guy that you’re doing a favour when you bull rush him. He doesn’t seem comfortable, fluid or natural at kicking or sliding. And he doesn’t seem to know what technique to use any time other than locked up in position. Which worries me when it comes to his upside. 
 That said, I don’t think neuf was made worse by Lofton. Certainly by kola though. Lofton wasn’t struggling with inside rushes, or pick ups. Kola always does, but nuef has played a lot of games next to kola. He knows what to expect, and played better beside him early in kolas time here. 

I actually don’t think Wallace would’ve been much different from either project imp “tackle”. But he has upside that makes sense to develop imo. Randolph has upside but the pass port is huge. 

I agree we should be pilfering and searching for big bodies. Until Lawson is back and close to 100%, which I doubt happens this year now, we could use a big pile pushing Canadian dt. Not a guy who looks like he’s running the 100m relay going from a yard off into the ol. 
 I wish we recruited imp ol like we do ni ol and imp dl. Try and polish athletes who can knock guys on their ass. Not character experienced guys at playing inside. 

7 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Sask. would be plenty dumb it they didn't grab Armstead, has more power than Hickson.

piss poor attitude and character issues as well would blend right in.....Oullette too is a bust....benefitted from a superior oline in T.O....and is always hurt too....not good value for that 165k ...barely over 4 yards a carry aint cutting it for your high paid bell cow