Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Powell is injured.  So is Shiltz.  Think could easily have Shiltz for like a 5th round pick if he’s ready to return.

In the off-season I’d agree.
I can’t see how or why Calgary (or anyone really) would do anything to help us in the middle of the season for as little return as a 5th rounder. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

In the off-season I’d agree.
I can’t see how or why Calgary (or anyone really) would do anything to help us in the middle of the season for as little return as a 5th rounder. 

Shiltz is nothing to them today and nothing to them in the future.  He's never been a starter, he never will be.

The Riders traded Collaros for a conditional 4th round pick at the end of July 2019.  Guys like Arbuckle have been traded around for 4th round pick.  Shiltz is below that level.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well they weren't great either. Very first series both tackles got schooled hard.

Agreed.  But they settled down and were mostly solid. ZC wasn't throwing check downs immediately, he was going through several reads for the most part. 

If Strev is out long term, which is obviously highly likely, I really do think Wilson will be bumped into the QB2 role...BUT they will add a veteran somehow as the third guy, with a chance to swap him in if things go poorly. 

OL wasn't perfect but still pretty solid today. Bryant back after the bye gives us the original starting five - with the hope that health has helped the problem for some, like Neufeld.

36 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Disagree, the OL wasn't bad today. I give them quite a bit of credit for how they are gelling with all the changes.

Thought they were awful both ways.  Couldn't do anything on first down basically the whole game but especially the last 3 quarters.

Hard to adjust when you both can't move anyone and can't make a pocket.

Hit a few nice outside zone runs on last drive for FG including the direct snap.

Bad game overall though.

That was like a 6-12 team OL out there today.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Shiltz is nothing to them today and nothing to them in the future.  He's never been a starter, he never will be.

The Riders traded Collaros for a conditional 4th round pick at the end of July 2019.  Guys like Arbuckle have been traded around for 4th round pick.  Shiltz is below that level.

All good points for sure, especially Arbuckle.  I guess I’m stuck on the gamesmanship aspect of it.

Especially in an undecided division, personally I wouldn’t give us a thing without a kings ransom coming back. 

If I was a GM, especially in the west, it’d be “Give me an elite starter, high draft pick or have fun with your rookie backup QB” 

27 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

All good points for sure, especially Arbuckle.  I guess I’m stuck on the gamesmanship aspect of it.

Especially in an undecided division, personally I wouldn’t give us a thing without a kings ransom coming back. 

If I was a GM, especially in the west, it’d be “Give me an elite starter, high draft pick or have fun with your rookie backup QB” 

Just remember there's about a half dozen agents that negotiate most of the contracts and they want their guys playing if they are able to.  There's not a lot of guys dying on the vine if there's somewhere for them to play.

Also the money aspect.  They are paying real money and salary management space to Shiltz if he comes off 6 game.  Money in both aspects they could use to re-sign someone they actually want to keep into 2025 and lower their burden on their 2025 budgets to open up space for more moves.  Shiltz basically has no value to them so ship him off for a lottery ticket.

They are basically crashing out of the playoff race.  Are they going to put Shiltz on the field?  Probably not.  They are going to try to rehabilitate Maier who still has guaranteed money or move to a guy with potential to be something more than Shiltz could be.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Just throwing a name out there, Arbuckle is the third string in Toronto.

Hasn't played much past couple seasons.

The more he played the less comfortable he looked in terms of being able to hit guys on time intermediate and vertical.

IMO Dolegala is better.

Arbuckle is basically a junior QB coach on the roster for Dinwiddie...not sure anyone wants to use him for any significant stretch.

51 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Just remember there's about a half dozen agents that negotiate most of the contracts and they want their guys playing if they are able to.  There's not a lot of guys dying on the vine if there's somewhere for them to play.

Also the money aspect.  They are paying real money and salary management space to Shiltz if he comes off 6 game.  Money in both aspects they could use to re-sign someone they actually want to keep into 2025 and lower their burden on their 2025 budgets to open up space for more moves.  Shiltz basically has no value to them so ship him off for a lottery ticket.

They are basically crashing out of the playoff race.  Are they going to put Shiltz on the field?  Probably not.  They are going to try to rehabilitate Maier who still has guaranteed money or move to a guy with potential to be something more than Shiltz could be.

I can’t argue any of that, especially the point about agents.
It’s not out of the realm of possibility to suggest a club not wanting to help out a rival, but probably letting my imagination run away with me in regards to other teams going out of their way to stick it to anyone else.