Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Would like to see Haba cut and a couple edge rushers brought in during this bye.

We have absolutely nothing in terms of pressure or explosiveness on the edge.  It's like a half speed scrimmage for opposing OT's.

Jefferson is reading QB eyes trying to disrupt passing lanes, hardly ever actually rushes these days.  Could see after the one Sask march he must have got **** and came out next drive actually trying to press the pocket a bit.  Personally I like what Hall did the last few years using Willie more in the middle of the line with his length reading QB eyes.  On the edge at this point he's not very impactful.  Teams know what's coming and just work around it or away from it.

Garbutt is very steady, assignment sound.  No pressure.  Like him for when we play someone like Ford.  Has a role to play here but in concert with a guy opposite him on the boundary side who is more of a pure rusher.

28 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Would like to see Haba cut and a couple edge rushers brought in during this bye.

We have absolutely nothing in terms of pressure or explosiveness on the edge.  It's like a half speed scrimmage for opposing OT's.

Jefferson is reading QB eyes trying to disrupt passing lanes, hardly ever actually rushes these days.  Could see after the one Sask march he must have got **** and came out next drive actually trying to press the pocket a bit.  Personally I like what Hall did the last few years using Willie more in the middle of the line with his length reading QB eyes.  On the edge at this point he's not very impactful.  Teams know what's coming and just work around it or away from it.

Garbutt is very steady, assignment sound.  No pressure.  Like him for when we play someone like Ford.  Has a role to play here but in concert with a guy opposite him on the boundary side who is more of a pure rusher.

I agree. Haba’s  just not cutting it. With the smaller amount of linemen we dress especially, we need more out of that edge

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

27 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I agree. Haba’s  just not cutting it. With the smaller amount of linemen we dress especially, we need more out of that edge

yup...has regressed tho really never really had a big season prior to this anyway....is it because he isnt totally healthy and what he was ? If anything Adams for him if Osh isnt willing to dress 4 imports would be the better call...but again Haba supersedes Adams cause the Osh way is to favor the vet/incumbent which I just hate....and it dos hurt us regardless of the 103 wins and people praising him.....sure you can show loyalty and support a tenured h=guy, but you also have to show the same for a new guy busting his ass and just making plays too...

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

100% agree. Habba made some hay last year with a lean then cut, which takes advantage of his long arms and shorter stature. But his one move has been shut down and he hasn’t grown at all. 
 Garbutt is like an imp version of Kongbo, with out the motor to get in on the back end of down field plays. He deserves more time and another camp but shouldn’t be a starter right now. 
 We need rookies and maybe to look for a vet we can bring in. We need a lot more production on the edge opposite Willy. We really miss that guy who can bull rush tackles on any snap. Bending the pocket helps Willy a lot. 

I really like Adam’s, but I don’t know that he’s ready for huge volume in snaps yet and we are best off with him moving around different spots on the line. 

The expansion of nfl prs has really killed the air lift market for nfl cuts though. 

39 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup...has regressed tho really never really had a big season prior to this anyway....is it because he isnt totally healthy and what he was ? If anything Adams for him if Osh isnt willing to dress 4 imports would be the better call...but again Haba supersedes Adams cause the Osh way is to favor the vet/incumbent which I just hate....and it dos hurt us regardless of the 103 wins and people praising him.....sure you can show loyalty and support a tenured h=guy, but you also have to show the same for a new guy busting his ass and just making plays too...

From what I’ve seen ol aren’t letting him get leverage. They get the punch move in earlier and deny him that tight angle rush. With out that he doesn’t really have much. 
 Need Adam’s on, and to find another end who can consistently rush. 

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

100% agree. Habba made some hay last year with a lean then cut, which takes advantage of his long arms and shorter stature. But his one move has been shut down and he hasn’t grown at all. 
 Garbutt is like an imp version of Kongbo, with out the motor to get in on the back end of down field plays. He deserves more time and another camp but shouldn’t be a starter right now. 
 We need rookies and maybe to look for a vet we can bring in. We need a lot more production on the edge opposite Willy. We really miss that guy who can bull rush tackles on any snap. Bending the pocket helps Willy a lot. 

I really like Adam’s, but I don’t know that he’s ready for huge volume in snaps yet and we are best off with him moving around different spots on the line. 

The expansion of nfl prs has really killed the air lift market for nfl cuts though. 

Should of payed Jeffcoat ...we employ other injury cases..Biggie...Wilson...

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

From what I’ve seen ol aren’t letting him get leverage. They get the punch move in earlier and deny him that tight angle rush. With out that he doesn’t really have much. 

He had that good bend...Ala Hunt but not as explosive but havnt seen it much since he back..is it cause he not healthy enough with the knee to do it...or teams just did the film and know that was his go to and have schemed it away?

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Cedric Wilcots is available as is AC Leonard, preferred when they were pursuing the long lean pass-rushers in the mold of Jeffcoat and Jefferson, the thicker DE's maybe more powerful but they're not as quick.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Should of payed Jeffcoat ...we employ other injury cases..Biggie...Wilson...

He had that good bend...Ala Hunt but not as explosive but havnt seen it much since he back..is it cause he not healthy enough with the knee to do it...or teams just did the film and know that was his go to and have schemed it away?

Yeah honestly when you look at guys we decided not to pay and move on from, grant, jj, gray, brown, and the guys we clung to in Thomas, biggie, zach etc we made bad choices. If jj is in shape I’d take him back right now. 

Yeah, I’m not sure how much is injury, but I think not growing and developing is a big part of it. If he isn’t healthy enough he probably just won’t be able to cut it health wise. 

2 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Cedric Wilcots is available as is AC Leonard, preferred when they were pursuing the long lean pass-rushers in the mold of Jeffcoat and Jefferson, the thicker DE's maybe more powerful but they're not as quick.

Screw Leonard. Wilcots would be worth a look. Jj if he’s up to it, even jagared davis if he is. Might be a thing of having to make a trade to find a better vet than that. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yeah honestly when you look at guys we decided not to pay and move on from, grant, jj, gray, brown, and the guys we clung to in Thomas, biggie, zach etc we made bad choices. If jj is in shape I’d take him back right now. 

Yeah, I’m not sure how much is injury, but I think not growing and developing is a big part of it. If he isn’t healthy enough he probably just won’t be able to cut it health wise. 

If we payed just even  Jeffcoat...Grant...Bailey...and signed one FA to replace Thomas...or augment..even replace Biggie we'd be sitting pretty good right now

Gray was I almost 100 percent certain moving on...but we could have used his money on a free agent lineman 

Our "loyalty" to long in tooth vets was a bad decision...and kill me now if Osh figures Biggie..Thomas..Wilson..Kramdi...Schmeck ..Gauthier are gonna be key pieces for 2025...even ZC...we need to sign a vet QB and work that SMS/Marketing money however we need too...if Strev has a knee rebuild coming up...

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Walters needs to not sign a few guys in the off season such as Biggie, Wilson, Thomas, Gauthier and for Zach, I'm not sure what to do what that $250,000 he's owed.

Sign a impact player in FA and throw 225k into the marketing fund...that's about it

Or rework his deal that all.his salary for 2025 outside that comes at end of 2024

Other than that...we screwed and are eating that taking money away from an area of need

Definitely can't allow a qb. to stand in there and pick you apart with zero pressure like Harris did in the Banjo.....At least look at some of the nfl cuts and see what we can come up with because right now our D ends are failing....Luv it that Willie has that big reach, but he has to do more than that and get to the qb more than he has....Looking at that clip of Hunt back in the day reminds me of how good that guy really was and what we're missing....No Stoves around either it appears...We need pressure and we're not getting it...It's going to cost us

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Walters needs to not sign a few guys in the off season such as Biggie, Wilson, Thomas, Gauthier and for Zach, I'm not sure what to do what that $250,000 he's owed.

Needs to resign ford, after that we have a lot of cap pruning to do. 

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Needs to resign ford, after that we have a lot of cap pruning to do. 

Yes, but at what cost?  Re-signing Ford is less important than re-signing Brady was, because as good as he is, he's much easier to replace. $140k is the final offer.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Definitely can't allow a qb. to stand in there and pick you apart with zero pressure like Harris did in the Banjo.....At least look at some of the nfl cuts and see what we can come up with because right now our D ends are failing....Luv it that Willie has that big reach, but he has to do more than that and get to the qb more than he has....Looking at that clip of Hunt back in the day reminds me of how good that guy really was and what we're missing....No Stoves around either it appears...We need pressure and we're not getting it...It's going to cost us

He did play with Odell Wills and Doug Brown though, so that was a huge advantage.

I find it interesting that the defense is where posters here feel there are players that we 'need to move on from.'  

They could be better, of course, but the defense is playing much better than the offense. And, several of those defensive players are key contributors on special teams.

The much bigger issues for this team are on offense.  

19 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yes, but at what cost?  Re-signing Ford is less important than re-signing Brady was, because as good as he is, he's much easier to replace. $140k is the final offer.

You're sure about that? Not many Canadian DBs even start. He's one of the best defensive players in the league.

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So @Booch, you'd try to do something with Zach like convert the $250,000 guaranteed to marketing $ thus taking it off the SMS, and pay him 200,000 or so of the remaining 350,000 on his contract to reduce his 2025 costs to $150,000?

I'd push the bulk of if not all the guaranteed to this yr if we can do that with garuanteed...if not move most of what we can of the non guaranteed salary into 2024 with a restructure...so essentially we only on the books for 250k of his contract for 2025

But if this marketing is a no limit thing..I'd be top bidder for the most impactful free agent fish in 2025 regardless of position played...and then adjust our roster to fit...none of this stand pat and be content with player X...or player Y at certain positions cause they been here for so many yrs...or they are Canadian (looking at dline with that comment)