Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Which he's done. More than any other coach in the history of this organization.

And yet...prob left a good 10 games on the table...and 2 cups...if only he would adjust some his weaknesses

I believe Goevia..walters...McManus...rigmaedan...and others brought players in...and in many  instances the best were not put on roster...or were used as 2nd string/role players...

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

In before we get an argument about winning without the best team on the field

Yup...lol...typical ya buts....but being satisfied with really good as opposed to altime generational...4 time Champs....if really good for a bit...but failed due to poor decisions...avoidable ones...and not learning from the first failure is good enough for some...and viewed as excellence..than so be it for that faction....doesn't work for me tho

27 minutes ago, Booch said:

I believe Goevia..walters...McManus...rigmaedan...and others brought players in...and in many  instances the best were not put on roster...or were used as 2nd string/role players...

Not always.  Some of you were real big on Eli getting a shot on the starting OL.  He had that opportunity, and it appears the coaches were correct in having him as depth. 

14 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Not always.  Some of you were real big on Eli getting a shot on the starting OL.  He had that opportunity, and it appears the coaches were correct in having him as depth. 

He hasn’t had an opportunity at C. He’s still a large upgrade at C. They double shift him because Dobson is the only other guy who snaps, and he excels on the heavy set in his spot. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He hasn’t had an opportunity at C. He’s still a large upgrade at C. They double shift him because Dobson is the only other guy who snaps, and he excels on the heavy set in his spot. 

There is the possibility that the pro coaches know more than a couple fans online tho. I mean that is pretty likely. 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

There's only a handful of people that believe this and none of them watch him practice daily. 

I liked Eli, still do but it’s apparent he’s not a very good pass blocker. He’s a great running mauler type but 3 downs so passing league requires QB to be protected to throw. Eli isn’t good at that. Wallace looks to have potential at guard tho. I’m not sure how a guy who struggles to pass protect could be a better center than the one we use, I mean it’s prob not favorites that kolo is starting ahead of Eli there. Kolo isn’t great tho so it likely means Eli is actually worse in reality regardless of what scouting reports 5 years ago or more said. 

On 2024-09-11 at 2:51 PM, wbbfan said:

2999 passing yards 9 tds 13 picks in 14 starts, with 7.8 per completion. This year in 13 starts he has 2932 yards 8tds 13 picks 8.3 per completion. 

I've been saying that Zach has regressed to his mean before his resurgence and these stats (thanks for compiling them!) eerily show that may be the case. But he's our QB and has been showing signs of life that will hopefully persist in the home stretch and playoffs. 

26 minutes ago, Goalie said:

There is the possibility that the pro coaches know more than a couple fans online tho. I mean that is pretty likely. 

Appeal to authority fallacy much? Would you like to make a fact based claim to defend the likes of kola, Johnson, Jackson etc? I can give you a large list of names and you can take first pick and I’ll respond in turn with a fact based break down. 
Sure they know more. But if knowledge was the primary limiting factor money ball would’ve won all the ships. I can give tons of examples of the smartest guys not succeeding, and even not being coaches.

Weve seen this for years here. Guys that don’t get a sniff else where start here for extended periods of time. 
 Plus mos is open about it, he values intangibles over much else. 
 Kola is hands down the worst C in the league.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's only a handful of people that believe this and none of them watch him practice daily. 

It’s far more than a handful, and the same guys who watch him daily started Johnson for weeks then cut him keeping pr guys, ran Damien Jackson out as di for 10 weeks then cut him etc. The decision making process is not based on talent or even efficacy. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Very true. The lack of discipline from the O this year is really interesting. With buck moving down and mos over ruling some calls I feel like some thing is going on. 

6 minutes ago, K-Shack said:

I've been saying that Zach has regressed to his mean before his resurgence and these stats (thanks for compiling them!) eerily show that may be the case. But he's our QB and has been showing signs of life that will hopefully persist in the home stretch and playoffs. 

Yeah we are pretty much married to zach for better or worse. Probably for next year too. 

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Weve seen this for years here. Guys that don’t get a sniff else where start here for extended periods of time. 
 Plus mos is open about it, he values intangibles over much else. 
 Kola is hands down the worst C in the league.

And MOS is probably correct in some of those scenarios.  He has won plenty of games by valuing intangibles. 

41 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Appeal to authority fallacy much? Would you like to make a fact based claim to defend the likes of kola, Johnson, Jackson etc? I can give you a large list of names and you can take first pick and I’ll respond in turn with a fact based break down. 

But the wins/losses record is just as factual as any of that.

53 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

However you can't discount some of the losses that have happened because of roster usage issues. There's not many but they do exist. They're a good team, they could probably be better. They've had a lot of empty uniforms on the roster at various points 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

However you can't discount some of the losses that have happened because of roster usage issues. There's not many but they do exist. They're a good team, they could probably be better. They've had a lot of empty uniforms on the roster at various points 

I don't disagree with that. But the other side of story also needs to be acknowledged. 

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Playing a guy out of position...instead of where he was one of top rated players in the nation at his position isn't being given a chance really

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Just like Thomas is better than Fox..Woods...Adams...yup...OK

Kramdi better than Griffen...sure

Johnson better than ....well anyone 

Mitchell on PR because?.

And that's just this yr

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

And MOS is probably correct in some of those scenarios.  He has won plenty of games by valuing intangibles. 

Mos was on the hot seat before the 19 win, and we won because of generational talent disparity between us and the rest of the league. Plus some what fluking into zach collaros. No zach trade, mos wouldn't have lasted or gotten close to the record. 

Most coaches in the league would've excelled with our team in the back half of 19-22. He's a great force for culture and leadership. But if mos was fired at the mid way ish mark of 19 and paul took over, every thing else being the same, nothing changes. 

Wins, are not facts. They are biproducts. And they can be produced a great number of ways. Not just coaching and qbing. 

Enter, Gustavo Chacin. A former Starting pitcher for the toronto blue jays. in 2005 he was 5th in roy voting, and was among the league leaders at the mid way point in Wins. However, his ERA was above 5, 1.5 walks plus hits per inning pitched, he didn't get strike outs and didn't get ground outs. He even gave up a high rate of hard hit balls in play. He was abnormally lucky amongst other things. He went 25-15 as a starter with the jays (in an era when .500 starting pitchers got major paydays.) but pitched just 5 games after his time with the jays. In 2005, he had more wins that Roy Halladay and tied for the team lead in wins. But he wasn't the best starter on that team, or the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th. The depth was filled out with miguel batista (27 wins next 2 years), dustin mcgowan(34 wins after 05), shaun marcum (61 wins), and chad gaudin (26 next 3 years and 45 career after going to the pen.)  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/chacigu01.shtml

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Well then, it must be a miracle. Some sort of magical potion, perhaps an out of team experience. In spite of this mismanaged roster, and not playing the best players. We have a defense that has given up the least points in the league, with only Montreal even in shouting distance. And that's also this year.

False dilemma lol.

Or, you know, its multiple factors lead to wins and it can't be boiled down so simply. Some teams win because of coaching, some teams win inspite of it. Some teams would win no matter who was at the helm. I'm not saying mos hasn't had a part in our winning, he certainly has. But he is far from the top cause for our recent success. 

IF you look at that D closer, you might see that our best 2 DL this year have been rookies in woods and adams. If you look at our secondary, bonds, ford, griffin, and nichols are all in the top elite tier of DBs in the whole league. Despite the fact that griffin plays dime in a sub package instead of starting. If you look at our D last year and this year you see a big change, do you think that is more mos than JY? I see credit for our D quality as  front office for filling 2-3 starter gaps with all stars including new to the cfl guys, then JY for the system change and tremendous coaching, then Hall and mos are about equal.