Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Most coaches in the league would've excelled with our team in the back half of 19-22. He's a great force for culture and leadership. But if mos was fired at the mid way ish mark of 19 and paul took over, every thing else being the same, nothing changes. 

There has been plenty written about the culture that was developed here, which has led to players wanting to sign in Winnipeg - Players taking less, players encouraging their buddies to come here, etc. That kind of stuff has value. To say that nothing changes if he's fired, is just false. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

There has been plenty written about the culture that was developed here, which has led to players wanting to sign in Winnipeg - Players taking less, players encouraging their buddies to come here, etc. That kind of stuff has value. To say that nothing changes if he's fired, is just false. 

Miller and Walters laid out the blue print fir what they wanted...Oshea carried it out...he didn't mastermind it..he was a guy entrusted to carry out the master plan with culture...

7 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

His logic was he was going on the 6 game because he wasn't listed on the injury report, all the while Chris Streveler was listed on the injury report....

Yeah...that was some bad lazy assumption journalism

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Much has also been written about the fact that the locker room has owned and ran the culture since before the 19gc, so no, it wouldn’t just change over night even with a hc change. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Much has also been written about the fact that the locker room has owned and ran the culture since before the 19gc, so no, it wouldn’t just change over night even with a hc change. 

What happens when the players in charge of the locker room culture start to become deficiencies on the field, do their teammates initiate a mutiny and vote them off the island?

13 hours ago, Booch said:

People are quick to toss all the accolades on a guy....but will ignore the negatives and bad traits...cause we won some games....we did this...we did that...bkah blah blah

Well we could and should have won more...had 4 cups....maintained an re-stocked top end players....but we havnt....and it fell right on the coaches feet....

Every coach I have ever known first hand....or in leagues I have been in for all their success's...had fault's and bad traits/bias'....it's not to take away anyhing they have done, but more of a it should have been better...or imagine what if, but most the people here spin it as some posters think they know more...and maybe in some instances some do see the forest thru the trees and do see a better way....it's not un-common

And many still look past the fact that in the first 2 cup runs...in many instances we won despite the short sightedness....That will happen when you have some top flight generational talent in their prime able to play above an beyond and mask the short comings...we don't have that now....but still have some poor rostering...and poor game plans...and we sit 7-6 and lucky to be in first...due to a few teams tanking, but also we are close to at par with talent now with everyone...some instances below par....and the record reflects it....Osh didn't in game 5 formulate a new plan or do something radically different to turn it around...he did nothing really....only when injuries happened...we just Lucky Campbell screwed his team dynamic up and Mace is just an idiot

Coaching lost us the last 2 cups...any argument otherwise is just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking....and the 2021 cup was a lucky win too....we escaped that one...were almost outcoached in that...and were severely outcoached in 2022 and 2023....but ya but we made it??...who effin cares...we lost...when we shouldnt have

I will reiterate...out of the coaches in the league Osh is the one I want before all the trolls start their usual tripe....But he can be better...and based on past failures and why we failed...he should be better....learn from your past failures...dont repeat them

Bro...be the change. Or stop talking about it....EVERYONE gets it. 

It's almost spam at this point. 

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly the biggest failing point of our coaching staff has been in the 2 gc loses. Not just in roster management, but in game plan, execution, adjustment and having the team ready to go at their best. And not many coaching staffs would survive 2 bad back to back GC loses. 

I can't imagine the grief of Bills fans (and Marv Levy) after 4 losses in a row. At least we had our 2 wins first. 

14 hours ago, wbbfan said:

He even gave up a high rate of hard hit balls in play.

But were they as hard as Cornelius throws?

5 hours ago, K-Shack said:

I can't imagine the grief of Bills fans (and Marv Levy) after 4 losses in a row. At least we had our 2 wins first. 

thank god for that,,,I couldnt imagine 4 losses in arow

5 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Do us all a favor...when Walter's jumps ship or gets fired...

Be public with your application for the job? 

Have no issues with Walters to be honest other than at times he's too quiet....

12 hours ago, Mark H. said:

For sure. Numerous players have come out and flat out stated that the reason they came here/reason they stayed was MOS. Guys thinking that a couple minor wonky roster moves outweighs that are not putting enough value on it imo.

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I believe that MOS has been here since 2014, so yes that culture was started pre-19. Yes, there would be a different culture. GUARANTEED. Might take a half season, or season, but things would almost certainly.

players wanna play in a good room...good culture....they not gonna go and sabotage that...especially with a vet core, and yrs of success.....unless the G.M was an idiot and brought in bad characters....and I dont see Walter's....and definitely Miller going that route

Osh is definitely the curator of the football aspect of things...not a doubt at all about that....and any player will like playing for a coach that respects them...and a "team" that does the same and compensates them fairly...and not just monetarily

If Osh was to have moved on in 2021...2022...we would have had the same success if the other pieces from Wade to the waterboy...and staffers were all in place...and who knows...we may have been possibly better...but I know we wouldnt have fell off the cliff and saw a mass exodus of talent run away

I'd be more concerned if Miller jumped ship...and to lesser extent Walters

Edited by Booch

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

players wanna play in a good room...good culture....they not gonna go and sabotage that...especially with a vet core, and yrs of success.....unless the G.M was an idiot and brought in bad characters....and I dont see Walter's....and definitely Miller going that route

Osh is definitely the curator of the football aspect of things...not a doubt at all about that....and any player will like playing for a coach that respects them...and a "team" that does the same and compensates them fairly...and not just monetarily

If Osh was to have moved on in 2021...2022...we would have had the same success if the other pieces from Wade to the waterboy...and staffers were all in place...and who knows...we may have been possibly better...but I know we wouldnt have fell off the cliff and saw a mass exodus of talent run away

I'd be more concerned if Miller jumped ship...and to lesser extent Walters

Every HC bring his own internal locker room culture with him. Maybe Walters and Miller find a HC that keeps on keeping on with FIFO....maybe they don't...but the HC sets the standard of the room. Always have always will. Sure we wouldn't have fallen off a cliff with a new HC after 2019, however, as the FIFO vets age out the culture would definitely shift to the new HC's ideals. Osh attracts guys with the right attitude. If we replace him with a guy like, (just an example) Chris Jones we most certainly would see a seismic shift in the locker room....don't care what vets stay on.

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Every HC bring his own internal locker room culture with him. Maybe Walters and Miller find a HC that keeps on keeping on with FIFO....maybe they don't...but the HC sets the standard of the room. Always have always will. Sure we wouldn't have fallen off a cliff with a new HC after 2019, however, as the FIFO vets age out the culture would definitely shift to the new HC's ideals. Osh attracts guys with the right attitude. If we replace him with a guy like, (just an example) Chris Jones we most certainly would see a seismic shift in the locker room....don't care what vets stay on.

I agree for sure...every coach will bring some of his personality/ideals to the team....hence I said before if you don't bring in a true assbag...you would be fine, and I have full faith in Miller and Walters to not do that

Also Miller/Walters would stress in interview process....Like they did with Osh..."This is what we want to accomplish/create here" and if the candidate doesnt see it that way...seems to be incapable of it.....or wants to do his own bizzare take on things...they will be coaching elsewhere

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

I agree for sure...every coach will bring some of his personality/ideals to the team....hence I said before if you don't bring in a true assbag...you would be fine, and I have full faith in Miller and Walters to not do that

Also Miller/Walters would stress in interview process....Like they did with Osh..."This is what we want to accomplish/create here" and if the candidate doesnt see it that way...seems to be incapable of it.....or wants to do his own bizzare take on things...they will be coaching elsewhere

The thing is assbags generally reveal themselves after the fact. I am pretty sure no one figured Craig Dickenson or Corey Mace would have a bunch of d-bags running their locker room....but they did. I am also pretty sure they had incredible answers as to how they would change the culture of their teams....then didn't. MOS is a true leader of men. That, more than anything else in his job title, is what makes him the best HC in the CFL. Is he perfect? Nope. Is there any other coach that I would want leading our team at this moment. Nope. I think it seriously underscores just how good of a coach he is when people suggest we can get rid of him and nothing would change. Lots would change.

10 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

What happens when the players in charge of the locker room culture start to become deficiencies on the field, do their teammates initiate a mutiny and vote them off the island?

That’s a damn good question. If you have the right younger guys, kongbo and desjarlais were those types, they take over and push the former leaders to follow or get out the way. Do we have a batch of replacement guys? I don’t think so but we might. 

8 hours ago, K-Shack said:

truth. That’s gotta be one of the hardest stretches in history for football fans. That and the browns for like 15 years lol. 

8 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

Until then....we GET IT.... 

Some of us want to believe and talk about some positives in this team and the epic run we have witnessed these last 4 years. 

Ffs

it is well with in your control to not read things you don’t want to, block scroll etc. it’s 100% valid on topic bomber discussion. What isn’t? Whinging about 100% valid on topic bomber discussion. 

15 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

if Paul wasn’t a culture fit, they wouldn’t have brought him in though.  Many of the ast coaches could run the team with the same culture. Buck, jy, hall etc. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

For sure. Numerous players have come out and flat out stated that the reason they came here/reason they stayed was MOS. Guys thinking that a couple minor wonky roster moves outweighs that are not putting enough value on it imo.

I believe that MOS has been here since 2014, so yes that culture was started pre-19. Yes, there would be a different culture. GUARANTEED. Might take a half season, or season, but things would almost certainly.

And Walter’s before that. I said the culture was turned over to and ran by the locker room before 19. Not that it existed pre 19. 
 If you brought in an out side hc, the culture would change some, unless wade and Walter’s the highest level culture setters brought in another guy like mos. Even then you’d see similar culture but with tweaks. With an inside hire who was the ast hc and oc? Nah. 

2 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The thing is assbags generally reveal themselves after the fact. I am pretty sure no one figured Craig Dickenson or Corey Mace would have a bunch of d-bags running their locker room....but they did. I am also pretty sure they had incredible answers as to how they would change the culture of their teams....then didn't. MOS is a true leader of men. That, more than anything else in his job title, is what makes him the best HC in the CFL. Is he perfect? Nope. Is there any other coach that I would want leading our team at this moment. Nope. I think it seriously underscores just how good of a coach he is when people suggest we can get rid of him and nothing would change. Lots would change.

Some people are snakes in the grass and hide their nature, but they mostly fool people who want to be fooled or are vulnerable. If you set out for culture first and prioritize it, you will find it. 
 In the hirings of Dickenson, mace, Chris jones etc the respective teams were trying to get instant value when coaching development is a process like any other. When wade and Walter’s hired mos, they knew and accepted it would be an investment.