Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah I mean it’s really how things soured quickly and how he responded to the bombers wanting accountability and a reasonable contract. Bad attitude and stuff I think is a bit over blown. He’s a great guy and player I have a lot of love for him. I don’t think he was a fifo problem while under contract here. I think he expected us to be happy with him no matter what and he clearly was not physically up to it any more. 

zachs interview on bonfire sports makes me feel sick. Had the guys and the looks felt good felt ready just missed some times you miss. 
 Idk what to expect him to say but that isn’t it. He really needs to have a big game vs ott to take the taste out of people’s mouthes or it’s gonna get ugly quick. 

At one point I’d have expected him to. Now, I don’t know.
Last time I saw Zach play that badly, he was about to be run out of Hamilton. 

15 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

At one point I’d have expected him to. Now, I don’t know.
Last time I saw Zach play that badly, he was about to be run out of Hamilton. 

He was that lost for reason in ssk too. Some of his answers to such questions just awful back then. 
 I didn’t think he had the ssk mild career come back in him or the big one here. So I hope he again proves me wrong. But damn I’m worried.  

Just now, JohnnyAbonny said:

I just realized in Montreal’s last 3 games, their D has made both the last 2 MOP QB’s look like old pee diapers. Maybe they’re just really, really good. 

If ZC plays like that against Ottawa though, I’m calling him Uncle Rico from then on. 

They are really good. However Zach was tossing gutter balls all over the place and missing reads badly. And missing open guys. Really gotta hope it’s rust. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

He was that lost for reason in ssk too. Some of his answers to such questions just awful back then. 
 I didn’t think he had the ssk mild career come back in him or the big one here. So I hope he again proves me wrong. But damn I’m worried.  

I keep forgetting he even played in Sask. I only remember him getting hit by Simoni, and getting shut out by the Bombers in 2018. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

They are really good. However Zach was tossing gutter balls all over the place and missing reads badly. And missing open guys. Really gotta hope it’s rust. 

Yeah I would have completely chalked it up to Montreal being good otherwise. I’m still hoping that was the biggest factor. 

He couldn’t hit anything though. Those quadrupole pumps before ridiculous underthrows were just wild. 

6 minutes ago, do or die said:

Sure, the Als D is quick and hits hard.   But our O was simply a clown show......

I think Montreal’s D is on a run like ours in 19/21.
Still, even just a dog and pony show probably kept us in that game. 

Im trying so hard to cope with complementing Montreal. 
The reality is, I’m pretty sure the team buggered up the QB situation and Streveler had better be the answer or this thing’s toast. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

I sure hope it's rust with collaros but there's been concerning things with his game since the 2022 grey cup. Sure he had some big games last summer but otherwise he's been shaky. He started the year as MOP front runner but by fall Brady took over that mantle and was the straw stirring the drink for the Bombers offensively. Collaros continues to struggle and they must work streveler into the passing game much much more.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Our scouting department is so overrated.

American scouting? Oh yeah for a decade. Yeah totally. Nichols, Alford, Jeffcoat, BA, Wilson, Schoen, Dru Brown, BA, Strev, Mike Jones, Santos-Knox, Stove, Holm, Eli, Jamaal Westerman, Woli, Leggett, Sayles, Bailey all sucked during their time here. Not to mention a boatload of others. Fire Goveia. 

Come on. 

8 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

American scouting? Oh yeah for a decade. Yeah totally. Nichols, Alford, Jeffcoat, BA, Wilson, Schoen, Dru Brown, BA, Strev, Mike Jones, Santos-Knox, Stove, Holm, Eli, Jamaal Westerman, Woli, Leggett, Sayles, Bailey all sucked during their time here. Not to mention a boatload of others. Fire Goveia. 

Come on. 

I don't disagree in general but a couple of those guys were already known players (Westerman) or had already been signed elsewhere previously (Bailey) so I wouldn't consider those major scouting coups.  BA is also listed twice but otherwise, yeah they've done a pretty good job, especially on the defensive side of things.  

41 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I don't disagree in general but a couple of those guys were already known players (Westerman) or had already been signed elsewhere previously (Bailey) so I wouldn't consider those major scouting coups.  BA is also listed twice but otherwise, yeah they've done a pretty good job, especially on the defensive side of things.  

Westerman still had to be scouted, regardless of weather people knew who he was. They still need to watch his film, reach out,  convince him to come up here. That’s all part of scouting, anyone can make a neg list. 

Bailey was never anywhere else in the CFL before here. 

and yeah, I typed BA twice. 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Westerman still had to be scouted, regardless of weather people knew who he was. They still need to watch his film, reach out,  convince him to come up here. That’s all part of scouting, anyone can make a neg list. 

Bailey was never anywhere else in the CFL before here. 

and yeah, I typed BA twice. 

Westerman was being recruited by every single team in the CFL after he spent 6 years in the NFL - no scouting was required.  He chose to come here which falls more on management and what they pitched him.

As Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters says, his services were highly coveted this CFL off-season.

“Jamaal was highly recruited throughout the CFL this off-season and we are very grateful and fortunate he chose the Winnipeg Blue Bombers,” said Walters. “He’s a big, physical defensive end who we feel can be an immediate impact player on our roster.”

https://www.cfl.ca/2015/05/07/blue-bombers-bring-dl-westerman-to-winnipeg/

Bailey was briefly on BC's PR back in 2015.  The Lions released him so he could sign with Jacksonville.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/10/20/9576543/jaguars-eagles-receiver-rasheed-bailey-practice-squad

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah I mean it’s really how things soured quickly and how he responded to the bombers wanting accountability and a reasonable contract. Bad attitude and stuff I think is a bit over blown. He’s a great guy and player I have a lot of love for him. I don’t think he was a fifo problem while under contract here. I think he expected us to be happy with him no matter what and he clearly was not physically up to it any more. 

zachs interview on bonfire sports makes me feel sick. Had the guys and the looks felt good felt ready just missed some times you miss. 
 Idk what to expect him to say but that isn’t it. He really needs to have a big game vs ott to take the taste out of people’s mouthes or it’s gonna get ugly quick. 

He's gonna turn it around, He's gonna turn it around, He's gonna turn it around said in fetal position.

20 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Westerman was being recruited by every single team in the CFL after he spent 6 years in the NFL - no scouting was required.  He chose to come here which falls more on management and what they pitched him.

https://www.cfl.ca/2015/05/07/blue-bombers-bring-dl-westerman-to-winnipeg/

Bailey was briefly on BC's PR back in 2015.  The Lions released him so he could sign with Jacksonville.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/10/20/9576543/jaguars-eagles-receiver-rasheed-bailey-practice-squad

Ok, I didn’t know that. I could argue the point remains. Keeping track of a guy who spent a week on the Lions PR for 4 years is good scouting. 

I hope that if Zach is throwing up goose eggs he's pulled early and let Strev have several series to see how things shake out.  Let Zach watch from the sidelines to see how the defense is playing, then bring him back in.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Ok, I didn’t know that. I could argue the point remains. Keeping track of a guy who spent a week on the Lions PR for 4 years is good scouting. 

If I had to guess, I'd say Ryan Rigmaiden was responsible for that.  He was the Lions main US scout in 2015 when Sheed signed with them.  He was working for us when we signed him in 2019 so Rigmaiden may have kept tabs on him.

20 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Ryan Rigmaiden was responsible for that.  He was the Lions main US scout in 2015 when Sheed signed with them.  He was working for us when we signed him in 2019 so Rigmaiden may have kept tabs on him.

Rigmaiden is a front office loss that sucked.  Glad he left for a promotion but he took our scouting to another level.

42 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

I hope that if Zach is throwing up goose eggs he's pulled early and let Strev have several series to see how things shake out.  Let Zach watch from the sidelines to see how the defense is playing, then bring him back in.

It's probably going to take Zach getting knocked out of a game before we get to see Strev. in an expanded role, till then he's stuck with a pretty small playsheet.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

It's probably going to take Zach getting knocked out of a game before we get to see Strev. in an expanded role, till then he's stuck with a pretty small playsheet.

Zach is our starter .. no doubt about it.  But ....

As I alluded to in the game day thread, you can't make Streveler just a gadget guy.  He's an athlete and god yes, take advantage of that athleticism but he's needs to execute in passing situations as well - if for no other reason than to keep teams honest when he's on the field.