Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed American defensive end Jay Person to their practice roster.

The six-foot-two, 233-pound defender made 228 tackles, 56 tackles for loss, 27 sacks, nine forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, and five knockdowns over 48 collegiate games at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. He was a two-time AP All-American and was named the conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2022 and 2023.

Person most recently spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, appearing in all three preseason games and recording four total tackles. He signed with the team after spending the month of July on the practice roster of the Toronto Argonauts, acquiring his release to return to the NFL. He had previously signed with the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent and was waived in mid-June.

Edited by Firekid

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Dustin was the sellers of the NHL. *

One of the very few games blink missed, it sounded bad right after the game on the coaches show too. Old dave though roberts tore his meniscus. Ended up being turf toe IIRC. 

But man, sellers was like a dad playing his kids pop warner team. Soo fun to watch. It was especially glorious as they were trying to hype up Szarka into being sellers equal back then and it just wasn't close. 

Since you mentioned him...

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

One of the very few games blink missed, it sounded bad right after the game on the coaches show too. Old dave though roberts tore his meniscus. Ended up being turf toe IIRC. 

But man, sellers was like a dad playing his kids pop warner team. Soo fun to watch. It was especially glorious as they were trying to hype up Szarka into being sellers equal back then and it just wasn't close. 

Funny, right after I posted, I said the exact thing in my head. Absolutely.

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That team should have won a championship. 

It’s such a shame, because the 02 team was actually more talented than 2001. 

IIRC Stegall broke his collarbone in the WSF, Roberts got hurt at the beginning of the WF and they had to finish the final without either of them.
Still almost pulled off a comeback after being down 28 or so.
Edmonton was keying on Sellers and Bruce, Khari was throwing to guys like Geoff Drover.
Just a brutal loss. 

21 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

That team should have won a championship. 

It’s such a shame, because the 02 team was actually more talented than 2001. 

IIRC Stegall broke his collarbone in the WSF, Roberts got hurt at the beginning of the WF and they had to finish the final without either of them.
Still almost pulled off a comeback after being down 28 or so.
Edmonton was keying on Sellers and Bruce, Khari was throwing to guys like Geoff Drover.
Just a brutal loss. 

That's a great sum up of what lifelong longterm Bombers fans have endeared so I have no issues with us being a bit edgy when we win or lose. 🙂

24 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Stegall got hurt in like the last week of the season, it was ribs. Robert's got hurt first series in the West final, Doug brown was playing through a high ankle sprain and the edmonton grounds grew made sure the turf was abysmal. 

My story from that ******* game in 2002... I'm just into my career at the Dauphin radio station at that point and we're part of the Bombers Radio Network... So I'm the in studio producer for that game. I can't remember how bad we were down at the worst part of it, but because I'm producing the ******* thing I have no choice but to listen to every gruesome detail. No shutting the TV off for me.... And then lo and behold, we come BACK and almost win the goddamned thing.... **** what a rollercoaster that night was. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Stegall got hurt in like the last week of the season, it was ribs. Robert's got hurt first series in the West final, Doug brown was playing through a high ankle sprain and the edmonton grounds grew made sure the turf was abysmal. 

I just got mad thinking about 1 how bad that playing surface was, and 2 how they’d not let visiting teams on it til the last minute so it was always a mad rush to prep cleats. 

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My story from that ******* game in 2002... I'm just into my career at the Dauphin radio station at that point and we're part of the Bombers Radio Network... So I'm the in studio producer for that game. I can't remember how bad we were down at the worst part of it, but because I'm producing the ******* thing I have no choice but to listen to every gruesome detail. No shutting the TV off for me.... And then lo and behold, we come BACK and almost win the goddamned thing.... **** what a rollercoaster that night was. 

am I alone in never tuning out/ turning off? Seems like most every one I know will turn it off at some point. I’m just too masochistic to do it, it’s like touching a hot element and refusing to stop lol. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I just got mad thinking about 1 how bad that playing surface was, and 2 how they’d not let visiting teams on it til the last minute so it was always a mad rush to prep cleats. 

I know we talk about it lots, but **** the 1996 West Semi til the day I die.......

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

am I alone in never tuning out/ turning off? Seems like most every one I know will turn it off at some point. I’m just too masochistic to do it, it’s like touching a hot element and refusing to stop lol. 

I’ve got better over the years but still challenging for me to keep touching the hot element. Not to mention the fact of how hard it is for me to watch other CFL games that happen right after a loss. I can be a big sore loser (and winner) with the best of them. :)

2 hours ago, Firekid said:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed American defensive end Jay Person to their practice roster.

The six-foot-two, 233-pound defender made 228 tackles, 56 tackles for loss, 27 sacks, nine forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, and five knockdowns over 48 collegiate games at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. He was a two-time AP All-American and was named the conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2022 and 2023.

Person most recently spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, appearing in all three preseason games and recording four total tackles. He signed with the team after spending the month of July on the practice roster of the Toronto Argonauts, acquiring his release to return to the NFL. He had previously signed with the New England Patriots as an undrafted free agent and was waived in mid-June.

Nice! Could be a good prospect. We desperately need some juice on the DL whether or not he gets any chance this year, but could be an interesting piece  in 2025. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer