Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Chris walker looks good, a real lt prospect which is nice. 
I really like notree. I wonder if he draws in right away with his ability to play teams? 
 He isn’t an eye popping tester athletically. But he makes eye popping plays in every range. He can drop back, blitz, scrape to the run, spy, do any thing you want an Imp lber to do. Great great tackler, right mix of physicality and consistency with wrapping and tackling in good form not just hitting. Big wingspan too, and hs basketball player as well as de back then. 
 Has the strength to jolt blockers on kick cover, but won’t be able to do it vs ol. 
 He should fit in really well next to jones if we give him the shot. 

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

The funny thing about Ford for MODP... is I'm not even sure he's the second best DB on our team... nevermind the best

He's definitely the best.  Holm hasn't looked the same.  Bonds is good, but I wouldn't say better.  Everyone is hating on Alexander and I can't even name your boundary defensive halfback.

Just now, wbbfan said:

Chris walker looks good, a real lt prospect which is nice. 
I really like notree. I wonder if he draws in right away with his ability to play teams? 
 He isn’t an eye popping tester athletically. But he makes eye popping plays in every range. He can drop back, blitz, scrape to the run, spy, do any thing you want an Imp lber to do. Great great tackler, right mix of physicality and consistency with wrapping and tackling in good form not just hitting. Big wingspan too, and hs basketball player as well as de back then. 
 Has the strength to jolt blockers on kick cover, but won’t be able to do it vs ol. 
 He should fit in really well next to jones if we give him the shot. 

I liked him....I didnt know he got released when I saw we picked him up...but I do know he makes plays

I can see him slotting in this week as he plays teams...has experience and if Ayers is out...we meed him to get game reps in the defence system...I like this pick up...and may offer more down the stretch than Ayers soley based on he's seen it...and done it before

6 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

He's definitely the best.  Holm hasn't looked the same.  Bonds is good, but I wouldn't say better.  Everyone is hating on Alexander and I can't even name your boundary defensive halfback.

This is so insane I don't even know where to begin....

No respect on Deatrick Nichols who is maybe the best DB in the CFL???

2 hours ago, Booch said:

without a question

Brady for MOP. Ford for MOC.  That's how I'd do it. The screw job for Oliveira is on. You can just see how the media in this country hates the guy. As far as Rourke goes, how the media in BC can vote for that guy after just 6 games & no td passes in the last 3 is just incredible. Adams should have demanded a trade out of there. He's too nice a guy so he gets walked on. And Campbell has trampled him to death.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Says all that needs be said about his opinion. 

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I liked him....I didnt know he got released when I saw we picked him up...but I do know he makes plays

I can see him slotting in this week as he plays teams...has experience and if Ayers is out...we meed him to get game reps in the defence system...I like this pick up...and may offer more down the stretch than Ayers soley based on he's seen it...and done it before

Yeah we’ve gotten a couple sneaky good pick ups that could make good contributions. 
 Injuries are gonna have a big impact on this weeks roster. If ba misses, I think notree should be a lock. Then cole will be shifting over maybe to S again. 

I sure hope we don’t just role the crap we did late last game though, with 1-2 ni dl, mac, Sam, cb and S. 

Our system puts most all our guys in the best position to play well. Holm is the one guy who isn’t excelling as much as he could, but that’s mainly because he got thrown at more last year and was able to use his athleticism to make plays. If he grows more and uses his talents more moving the ball and carrier it’ll be tremendous for him too. 
 Bonds could start on any team in the league, Nichols would start on ever team team. Ford might not excel as much in a different system, though he learned and adjusted to this one soo quickly I wouldn’t bet against him. With his pass port and big play ability he would play for any team too. Kramdi has improved with in the system, and is doing a great job in the box the last month or so. 
 Ba, is still struggling with tackling but his coverage has been exactly what you’d expect from him since he made the switch in 19. 
 It’s a small list of guys in the league that could improve upon our secondary. Jy has done a phenomenal job getting the most  out of his guys. 

So, living in Calgary, I don't know if I got this right or not. The 1984 Grey Cup Champs are going to be honoured on Friday night at the Bomber game before being inducted into the manitoba Sports Hall of Fame. My complaint is, why are they doing this in October? The football season starts a month before NFL teams go to training camp. Why not do this in June? Tom Clements coaches in the NFL with Green Bay. he's not available once the third week of July starts for the rest of the CFL season. He was the game's MOP for crissakes & I don't think Matt LaFleur will allow him the time off to come to Winnipeg to be part of the induction ceremony or the game Friday. Little has been done for Clements by the club since he left recognizing him for the 4 1/2 seasons he played for the Bombers. I kinda feel that he's been snubbed. This should have been done in June as he desrves to be there. 

6 hours ago, blue85gold said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/10/08/blue-bombers-transactions-october-8/

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to practice roster:
American linebacker Bryce Notree (6-3, 225, Southern Illinois)
American offensive lineman Chris Walker (6-6, 305, Montana)

Released from practice roster:
American quarterback Darren Grainger
American defensive linenman Brandon Wright

Wright was also signed to a futures contract today so the team plans on bringing him back next year.

28 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Our system puts most all our guys in the best position to play well. Holm is the one guy who isn’t excelling as much as he could, but that’s mainly because he got thrown at more last year and was able to use his athleticism to make plays. If he grows more and uses his talents more moving the ball and carrier it’ll be tremendous for him too. 
 Bonds could start on any team in the league, Nichols would start on ever team team. Ford might not excel as much in a different system, though he learned and adjusted to this one soo quickly I wouldn’t bet against him. With his pass port and big play ability he would play for any team too. Kramdi has improved with in the system, and is doing a great job in the box the last month or so. 
 Ba, is still struggling with tackling but his coverage has been exactly what you’d expect from him since he made the switch in 19. 
 It’s a small list of guys in the league that could improve upon our secondary. Jy has done a phenomenal job getting the most  out of his guys. 

They’re playing Holm in a different way than last year. Tough to compare. Playing deeper and coming up to tackle vs playing man all the time. Younger had said this over the summer 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Easily best in the league but we see him snubbed every year. I think this might be his best year yet. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

That’s true, Ford would be rated 99 Canadian on Madden and Nichols would be rated 0, so I can’t realistically argue that Ford isn’t better 

2 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

You're able to ride Kramdi's nuts but don't know who Nichols is?  Ok then.

orly.gif

1 hour ago, Bombertown said:

They’re playing Holm in a different way than last year. Tough to compare. Playing deeper and coming up to tackle vs playing man all the time. Younger had said this over the summer 

Easily best in the league but we see him snubbed every year. I think this might be his best year yet. 

Not exactly but kind of. Teams just don’t play that much straight man in the cfl any more. The difference is split field zone in groups vs more isolated zones. 
 He was still coming up on the ball, but more breaking in on lateral routes vs playing down hill on top of guys. 
 In our scheme bonds plays the most man type of cover frequently riding the deepest out side man on the back side. But that’s also a spot seldom thrown at even with the hash move. 

I wonder if holm wouldn’t excel more in griffins dime/wil sub package as an inside wall type vs playing over WRs. 
 He’s done a good job tackling, but a lot is coming in laterally on the back end of plays. For a guy with great hips he seems to struggle to play north south vs east west. He’s young though and could develop. 
 I’m sure griffin could play his half back spot well. Might be pure gain to swap them. 

Nichols is like Randle now in terms of being under rated. He doesn’t play the island like Randle did, but teams just don’t go at him like Randle. 
 Though nichols has been fantastic taking gaps in the run fits. His physicality and reliability tackling has been essential. Nichols could be plugged into any role in our secondary and not miss a beat. Same goes league wide. He’s not good at every thing, he’s very literally great at it all. 
 I think on top of jy, ba and Nichols have done a fantastic job supporting and helping all these young kids over the rest of the secondary. 
 It was wild when we ran 2 rookies side by side previously, now, we are running a bunch of guys with low cfl experience across the secondary and excelling with them. 

I’d go Nichols. Bonds. Ford. Holm. 

ford gives me Demario Houston but Canadian vibes. He’s good but I think it’s the spot he plays but he’s a very good starting CDN. 

Nichols is just the guy back there. Mr everything and everywhere. The strong veteran leader in the DB field. Bonds is a rookie and outside the Edmonton game, shutdown. Just completely shutdown. 

I would also like to see holm at safety.  He seems like he’d be very good there. Perhaps next season. 

is Parker expected back. Cuz don’t know about that McGhee 

Edited by Goalie

Dunk missed a stat or two...

Passing yards against by Riders  294.5 - 2nd Last!

--------------------------------------------------

Riders are upper tier in pass rush.  Boy if Milligan is actually half as good as they say what does this all tell you about the talent in the rest of the Riders secondary?

Edited by Colin Unger

41 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Dunk missed a stat or two...

Passing yards against by Riders  294.5 - 2nd Last!

--------------------------------------------------

Riders are upper tier in pass rush.  Boy if Milligan is actually half as good as they say what does this all tell you about the talent in the rest of the Riders secondary?

he missed about 3..4 key stats where they are last...or bottom 3....

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

I’d go Nichols. Bonds. Ford. Holm. 

ford gives me Demario Houston but Canadian vibes. He’s good but I think it’s the spot he plays but he’s a very good starting CDN. 

Nichols is just the guy back there. Mr everything and everywhere. The strong veteran leader in the DB field. Bonds is a rookie and outside the Edmonton game, shutdown. Just completely shutdown. 

I would also like to see holm at safety.  He seems like he’d be very good there. Perhaps next season. 

is Parker expected back. Cuz don’t know about that McGhee 

First I don’t disagree with the ranking. I’d put griffin over holm for sure. 
 The first 3 play pretty different roles in our D and it’s hard to compare really. Though Nichols is the only guy who’d be turn key in any role. So he is a tier above the next two. 
 I can understand the trepidation with ford after Houston, but ford isn’t Houston by any means. I can think of two times early in the year when he gambled hard for picks, made one gave up catch on the other though is was very close and a very hard catch. 
 Ford is closer to early Winston rose in that he’s just making great plays on the ball due to athleticism and very strong positioning. 
 Keep in mind that ford has one of the lowest completion % against in the whole league with the most attempts against. He’s getting to that point where teams don’t want to the to him. But he’s generally in the area with 2-3 opposition targets so it’s hard not to. Griffin is in a low volume spot ford in the high volume spot. 

Idk with what I’ve seen this year from Holm I don’t think he’d excel at S. he’s not doing great playing down hill, he’s better breaking laterally and defending seams/sidelines. I think sam (which isn’t happening) or being the dime/wil is his best position in our D. Unless he progresses more, which he might. 

For a long term replacement for ba, I’d be looking at nichols, griffin, Cole, or Kramdi. Though they’ll never move kramdi. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

First I don’t disagree with the ranking. I’d put griffin over holm for sure. 
 The first 3 play pretty different roles in our D and it’s hard to compare really. Though Nichols is the only guy who’d be turn key in any role. So he is a tier above the next two. 
 I can understand the trepidation with ford after Houston, but ford isn’t Houston by any means. I can think of two times early in the year when he gambled hard for picks, made one gave up catch on the other though is was very close and a very hard catch. 
 Ford is closer to early Winston rose in that he’s just making great plays on the ball due to athleticism and very strong positioning. 
 Keep in mind that ford has one of the lowest completion % against in the whole league with the most attempts against. He’s getting to that point where teams don’t want to the to him. But he’s generally in the area with 2-3 opposition targets so it’s hard not to. Griffin is in a low volume spot ford in the high volume spot. 

Idk with what I’ve seen this year from Holm I don’t think he’d excel at S. he’s not doing great playing down hill, he’s better breaking laterally and defending seams/sidelines. I think sam (which isn’t happening) or being the dime/wil is his best position in our D. Unless he progresses more, which he might. 

For a long term replacement for ba, I’d be looking at nichols, griffin, Cole, or Kramdi. Though they’ll never move kramdi. 

in all honesty....I hope we find someone or pick up someone in free agency to move on from Holm....He'd be great as an over the top...slide over to help in coverage safety....but yeah...run support....nope....he'd be in the tub more than on the field

Moving into 2025....we definitely need to be moving on from BA...Biggie....Wilson...Thomas...Holm....even Schmeck on the defensive side....