Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

in all honesty....I hope we find someone or pick up someone in free agency to move on from Holm....He'd be great as an over the top...slide over to help in coverage safety....but yeah...run support....nope....he'd be in the tub more than on the field

Moving into 2025....we definitely need to be moving on from BA...Biggie....Wilson...Thomas...Holm....even Schmeck on the defensive side....

I think we will be well situated to move on at dl and lber. Even S, I think they will have Cole there next year. 

in all honesty....I hope we find someone or pick up someone in free agency to move on from Holm....He'd be great as an over the top...slide over to help in coverage safety....but yeah...run support....nope....he'd be in the tub more than on the field

Moving into 2025....we definitely need to be moving on from BA...Biggie....Wilson...Thomas...Holm....even Schmeck on the defensive side....

Saying we definitely need to be moving on from Holm is just nuts. How can you compare him to over the hill expensive vets? 

12 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Saying we definitely need to be moving on from Holm is just nuts. How can you compare him to over the hill expensive vets? 

I compare him to...we can do better, plain and simple, as he has been the weak link all yr...apparently Darby was a weak link...we moved on so next up is Holm....his fancy feet and all...why stagnate and stand pat....you have to...need to be continually getting better....that goes for any position where a guy isn't the best of the best

Settling for ok....adequate...or status quo won't get you Championships...we have seen that all too apparent 2 yrs running now

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

I compare him to...we can do better, plain and simple, as he has been the weak link all yr...apparently Darby was a weak link...we moved on so next up is Holm....his fancy feet and all...why stagnate and stand pat....you have to...need to be continually getting better....that goes for any position where a guy isn't the best of the best

Settling for ok....adequate...or status quo won't get you Championships...we have seen that all too apparent 2 yrs running now

Of course there is a need to always get better but HB is one of the toughest spots to play and he won't be easy to just replace. If he wants tons of $ then ya may be time to go but otherwise there isn't a big need to get rid of him.  The other guys you mentioned are all old and broken and there is a need to replace them. 

Much rather move Holm to safety to replace BA.

20 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Of course there is a need to always get better but HB is one of the toughest spots to play and he won't be easy to just replace. If he wants tons of $ then ya may be time to go but otherwise there isn't a big need to get rid of him.  The other guys you mentioned are all old and broken and there is a need to replace them. 

Much rather move Holm to safety to replace BA.

I dunno...we have had great success in just putting new guys there for quite a few yrs now, so I don't think that should be a reason not to replace a guy. Who knows as well who could be available if FA...going into our Grey Cup at home shot.

I do agree tho...would love to see him at safety to see what he has there....especially if he not having to play that odd role we tried with BA before. I think his abilty to drift and close on a ball in the air would serve him way better there.

We also still have Parker who has been hurt this yr with a who knows what injury, but he is still young....very athletic and was the better of the 2, and was one of the better tacklers on the squad....so be interesting to see if he gets a shot in 2025 as well

The old dead weight tho.....put em out to pasture definately...we have really transformed the roster this yr, so next yr...2...3 guys will be easy

19 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

He's definitely the best.  Holm hasn't looked the same.  Bonds is good, but I wouldn't say better.  Everyone is hating on Alexander and I can't even name your boundary defensive halfback.

I know your schtick is to defend every Canadian player to the death... but I think you completely missed my point... I agree Ford is great but my point is it just shows the quality of our defensive backs when the leading INT guy is not even the best db on the team...

Not sure if I understand your second point... you can't name the boundary halfback? is this a joke?... you don't know Deatrick Nichols?... one of the best DBs in the league the past 4 years? Is that the guy you can't name?

11 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I know your schtick is to defend every Canadian player to the death... but I think you completely missed my point... I agree Ford is great but my point is it just shows the quality of our defensive backs when the leading INT guy is not even the best db on the team...

Not sure if I understand your second point... you can't name the boundary halfback? is this a joke?... you don't know Deatrick Nichols?... one of the best DBs in the league the past 4 years? Is that the guy you can't name?

The best DB in the CFL. PERIOD. No one knows his name except every QB and OC in the CFL because they simply must game plan to never throw his way.

18 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'd go so far as to say you seldom see the best DB lead the team in ints. Off the top of my head the last time our best DB lead us in picks mightve been bolden in 01? heath tied randle in 17 and mo was a monster that year, I don't think 19 rose was better than BA either. 

48 minutes ago, johnzo said:

yeah, I think that in our recent TiCat game, Bo challenged Nichols a bit more than QBs usually do ... and he paid the price.  Nichols' interception was a thing of beauty.

yeah...that was an interception from coverage and ability...unlike prob 4 of Milligans that were arrant throws to basically right in his chest while he was essentially covering someone else....which is another reason INT's aren't the whole story...Houston prob had 3 or 4 of those too last yr

46 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I'd go so far as to say you seldom see the best DB lead the team in ints. Off the top of my head the last time our best DB lead us in picks mightve been bolden in 01? heath tied randle in 17 and mo was a monster that year, I don't think 19 rose was better than BA either. 

Last I can think of was when Brown had 14 and Hill had 12 in same season...1990 I think....which is just hard to wrap mind around

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

The best DB in the CFL. PERIOD. No one knows his name except every QB and OC in the CFL because they simply must game plan to never throw his way.

It says something when Duane Forde spent the whole game gushing about Nichols. Tsn usually only cares about stats but Forde isn't a dummy and he took every opportunity to point out how good Nichols is and has been.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yeah...that was an interception from coverage and ability...unlike prob 4 of Milligans that were arrant throws to basically right in his chest while he was essentially covering someone else....which is another reason INT's aren't the whole story...Houston prob had 3 or 4 of those too last yr

Last I can think of was when Brown had 14 and Hill had 12 in same season...1990 I think....which is just hard to wrap mind around

Yeah that was in the background for me, hill/browne. We might've had it happen 3 times in 40+ years. 

Passing TDs against is a much better stat imo. A QB will take 10 picks if he throw 30 tds. Unless the INT takes points off the board, I'd value an INT similarly to how you value a big play surrendered. (30 yard pass) A pass knock down on 2nd down can be more valuable than an INT at times. 

QBr against should be widely available on the cfl site through their partnership in stats. I think that would drastically shift how a lot of fans view DBs. 

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It says something when Duane Forde spent the whole game gushing about Nichols. Tsn usually only cares about stats but Forde isn't a dummy and he took every opportunity to point out how good Nichols is and has been.

yeah...he is an actual talent evaluator

With high volume plays against you....you are gonna have guys with high volume stats...

Sask has by far the most pass attempts against them....2nd most yards against....71% passes completed against....3rd most 30+ yards plays against...just shy of 400 completions against at 397...and until recently were a team that gave up more than they scored...or was basically even

Those numbers right there tell you teams wanna throw at you...why?...because you are weak there

we give up 59% completion percent....least yards given up...and only 297 completions against...so what defense would you think if you looked at record....passing numbers....points differential would you think had the MODP type DB's on it?

With high volume plays against you....you are gonna have guys with high volume stats...

Sask has by far the most pass attempts against them....2nd most yards against....71% passes completed against....3rd most 30+ yards plays against...just shy of 400 completions against at 397...and until recently were a team that gave up more than they scored...or was basically even

Those numbers right there tell you teams wanna throw at you...why?...because you are weak there

we give up 59% completion percent....least yards given up...and only 297 completions against...so what defense would you think if you looked at record....passing numbers....points differential would you think had the MODP type DB's on it?

To be fair to them (eww) their run defense is solid.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think of this whenever that CFL ad runs showing Houston getting beat for the TD in the Cup to lose the game.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair to them (eww) their run defense is solid.

While that is true, run D always looks better when the other team passes at will lol. 

58 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

I think of this whenever that CFL ad runs showing Houston getting beat for the TD in the Cup to lose the game.

I really love that guy and root for him to succeed and take care of his family. But im sure as hell glad we aren't playin or payin him any more. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I like forde, he just needs to be lead by a strong PBP voice or panel host. He seems like he's never comfortable talking on camera. Which is understandable its not by any means an easy thing to do. He's never really improved though. You can tell he has 10x better things swimming in his head than he manages to get out.