Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

19 hours ago, Booch said:

Darvin was soooo underrated, and vital part also to our turn around and how our receiving group goes about it's business...even today....he was a huge influence

Never liked how he went out here, should have been better in my opinion....Or even have a one day signing and retire as a Bomber and have him up in front of a big crowd....

Lawler credits Darvin with teaching him how to study the playbook until he knew it inside out, something Lawler admits he did not do seriously when he first arrived in Wpg..

6 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

969m2b.jpg

It’s kinda funny the 3 best trades of the modern bomber era is probably all 3 mafia qb trades. A 5th(iirc) for Nichols, the swap for Collaros, and the fortune we got for Willy. Honourable mention for grant trade. Has any other trades been even close since the joke that was ray to Toronto? 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It’s kinda funny the 3 best trades of the modern bomber era is probably all 3 mafia qb trades. A 5th(iirc) for Nichols, the swap for Collaros, and the fortune we got for Willy. Honourable mention for grant trade. Has any other trades been even close since the joke that was ray to Toronto? 

Those were all great trades. Really the Nichols trade ended up changing our franchise forever it was the first real domino dropping and setting things in motion..

the QB trades are some wizard trades but I'll always say that the opening kickoff of the modern Bomber era was Kyle Walters' first trade: Alex Hall for Paddy Neufeld (and a 4th, which became Christophe Normand)

Getting a Canadian starter for a decade in exchange for a rental on an American rush end is some fine work indeed ... and the fact that it came at the expense of the Roughriders is (chef's kiss)

Edited by johnzo

1 minute ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Those were all great trades. Really the Nichols trade ended up changing our franchise forever it was the first real domino dropping and setting things in motion..

Consider the trade for Nichols probably saved O'Shea's job, so nothing else would be the same if that one hadn't happened.

4 minutes ago, johnzo said:

the QB trades are some wizard trades but I'll always say that the opening kickoff of the modern Bomber era was Kyle Walters' first trade: Alex Hall for Paddy Neufeld (and a 4th, which became Christophe Normand)

Getting a Canadian starter for a decade in exchange for a rental on an American rush end is some fine work indeed ... and the fact that it came at the expense of the Roughriders is (chef's kiss)

That could have been the first step, but it took Neufeld a long time to recover from the injuries he was suffering when he first arrived, he wasn't seen as a great pickup for the first year or two.  

38 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

it took Neufeld a long time to recover from the injuries he was suffering when he first arrived, he wasn't seen as a great pickup for the first year or two.  

yeah, at the time the Neuf trade was kind of a nothing trade -- guy with big injury question marks vs. legit star rush end with NFL aspirations ... but it turned out real nice for us in the long run.

I recall arguing at OB about this being a trade with massive upside for us and I'm so rarely right about these things that my victory lap on it will probably last far beyond the end of Neuf's career.

Edited by johnzo

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

yeah, at the time the Neuf trade was kind of a nothing trade -- guy with big injury question marks vs. legit star rush end with NFL aspirations ... but it turned out real nice for us in the long run.

I recall arguing at OB about this being a trade with massive upside for us and I'm so rarely right about these things that my victory lap on it will probably last far beyond the end of Neuf's career.

The riders also had him shoe horned in at rt and that took time to adjust to g. 

41 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The Doug Brown trade was pretty great 

That was what, a rando first for his rights? Pretty tough to beat. 

the kg run around with tor pretty good too. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

If you can believe it, it was a conditional 7th round pick. That's value!

Maybe it turned into a 5th round, was that the condition upon re-signing perhaps?

https://www.bluebombers.com/2016/10/18/the-doug-brown-story/

That’s when Taman made one of the greatest trades in Bomber history, sending a first-round and third-round pick to Calgary. The first rounder turned out to be Jon Oosterhuis who, ironically, was cut by the Stamps and scooped up by the Bombers and became a solid defensive tackle and one of Brown’s best friends; the third rounder was Mike Labinjo.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

57 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

If you can believe it, it was a conditional 7th round pick. That's value!

Maybe it turned into a 5th round, was that the condition upon re-signing perhaps?

Damn! I’m thinking that’s what it was, I have 5th stuck in my head. Looking at it, I see 7th round conditional pick so I’m guessing it conveyed as a 5th with starts or resigning. 
Either way that’s basically 0 value lol. 

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

For what he had to work with (almost nothing... The organization was a mess) Taman did so much good work. Ya it seems wildly unprofessional by today's standards but that was where we were as a team at the time. I'll always go to bat for the work he did. 

There's a lot that can be appreciated about that era - Roberts, Stegall, Brown, et. al.  It was what it was, more good football than bad.

29 minutes ago, Noeller said:

3 of the elks fines are to mbt for speaking out against late hits schedules and the command centre too. 

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

Dirty players get fined. Dirty teams get rewarded. 

Look at the that ratio. 13 - 3. The dirtiest team on the field. 

And the Argos are the dirtiest team off the field. 

Yep. Honestly we could’ve and should’ve seen more suspensions this year. A lot of intent to injure type crap only getting fines or less. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

3 of the elks fines are to mbt for speaking out against late hits schedules and the command centre too. 

Yep. Honestly we could’ve and should’ve seen more suspensions this year. A lot of intent to injure type crap only getting fines or less. 

One of the Bombers fines is for Sergio talking about the microchipped footballs as well

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Also shud have seen more ejections as well.

Reavis was fined but shud have been thrown out as well for the punch.

So fwiw, DT said on the pre game show that, at the Gala event earlier this week, Bighill was on crutches but Streveler was not only without crutches or a cane, but was walking up and down the stairs without any sign of a limp or anything... Wild. 

15 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So fwiw, DT said on the pre game show that, at the Gala event earlier this week, Bighill was on crutches but Streveler was not only without crutches or a cane, but was walking up and down the stairs without any sign of a limp or anything... Wild. 

That guy is not human. He could honestly be any level of injured or healthy and seem ok/tough it out.