Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Just now, Goalie said:

The guy living in the bus shack on portage could replace Mitchell. I mean how bout a guy who catches the ball ? Surely we have a few options. Bonds returns kicks also. 

Go look at the current roster - we don't. 

I wouldn't put Bonds back there unless I needed to, he's got enough on his plate trying to adjust as a starting rookie DB.  Also, we're banged up enough that I'm not sure risking injury to another starter is a great idea (especially with Nichols going down in the last game).  We'd end up having to play McGhee again and watch him get burnt repeatedly - no thanks! 

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Go look at the current roster - we don't. 

I wouldn't put Bonds back there unless I needed to, he's got enough on his plate trying to adjust as a starting rookie DB.  Also, we're banged up enough that I'm not sure risking injury to another starter is a great idea (especially with Nichols going down in the last game).  We'd end up having to play McGhee again and watch him get burnt repeatedly - no thanks! 

JA can return kickoffs but not punts. The only other proven punt returner we have is Demski, which no way should happen. 

I’d send both Mitchell and Wilson packing for sure. 

Bring in Worthy. Even Ronnie Blackmon again, or anyone.

At some point someone who doesn’t perform has to lose their job. 

I would like to have been a fly on the wall when they made their decisions on 20 receivers competing in camp and came up with Wilson and Mitchell as the winners.

Mitchell especially was a hot mess in preseason games.

Seems to me there might be 1-2 guys in those cuts we might be able to bring back.

Obviously Johnson is already here so he should get a shot at the SB spot.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

JA can return kickoffs but not punts. The only other proven punt returner we have is Demski, which no way should happen. 

Best option would be Worthy, IMO.  He's not Grant but he's a proven returner.  Mitchell hasn't even shown a glimmer of hope that he can develop into something.

Just now, bigg jay said:

Best option would be Worthy, IMO.  He's not Grant but he's a proven returner.  Mitchell hasn't even shown a glimmer of hope that he can develop into something.

If they feel they have to stand pat for whatever misguided reason, I’d give Wilson a game returning punts over Mitchell again. He’s the one that’s got to go for sure. 

Ideally they’re both off the roster though. 

With the blocking we have been giving, I don't think just changing the returner is the solution.....yes a guy like Grant can occasionally do something in spite of lack of blocking, but IMO it's a greater issue than just returner.

I theorize that even as bad as we played if we had dressed even one extra D-lineman we probably would have won...my reasoning is look at how good we were getting pressure on Brown until Habba and Fox went down, then once our D-line was exhausted and no real threat Ott was able to run the clock and Brown was able to stay mostly clean....true our offence and specials were bad, but I do really believe that our lack of rostered D-line depth cost us one Grey Cup and recently cost us this game....

1 minute ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

With the blocking we have been giving, I don't think just changing the returner is the solution.....yes a guy like Grant can occasionally do something in spite of lack of blocking, but IMO it's a greater issue than just returner.

I theorize that even as bad as we played if we had dressed even one extra D-lineman we probably would have won...my reasoning is look at how good we were getting pressure on Brown until Habba and Fox went down, then once our D-line was exhausted and no real threat Ott was able to run the clock and Brown was able to stay mostly clean....true our offence and specials were bad, but I do really believe that our lack of rostered D-line depth cost us one Grey Cup and recently cost us this game....

It's not just about what kind of yards Mitchell gets, it's also about how he fields the ball and his ball security.  His decision-making is hurting the team.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

It's not just about what kind of yards Mitchell gets, it's also about how he fields the ball and his ball security.  His decision-making is hurting the team.

He also comes across as a horses ass on the field FWIW 

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Obviously Johnson is already here so he should get a shot at the SB spot.

Honestly thought he was the best of the ones that played in preseason.

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

He is a ***** plain and simple. Afraid of catching the ball, afraid of getting hit. Just the most useless kind of returner.

42 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Ford is a returner...was very good at it too....and having played Canadian ball all his life knows what he looking at with general coverage schemes with 12 men...we fail to use him tho.

28 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Isaid that earlier too...we had the dline rotation from game 1...we win that game...all those excessive reps too...alsolead to greater chance of injury

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly thought he was the best of the ones that played in preseason.

He is a ***** plain and simple. Afraid of catching the ball, afraid of getting hit. Just the most useless kind of returner.

said same...Johnson lokked the most polished and ready, and even had the look like he had been in the league for a while...another questionable keep...I really am not sure what we look for these past several yrs to determine why we keep...why we discard...if it's this locker room "mystique" and some guys seem more intoit....at the expense of the talent....then maybe the coaches should cahnge their process....unless a guy is just a complete moron....selfish and arrogant prick....they wont survive in any locker room....Think it's time for this FIFO to FO....lets go with BTWP instead...BEST TALENT WILL PLAY

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Ford is a returner...was very good at it too....and having played Canadian ball all his life knows what he looking at with general coverage schemes with 12 men...we fail to use him tho.

Great point, I’d forgotten all about Ford. 

Forgetting the quibbles about which guy should have been kept or not... the real issue with the roster is that there's no rhyme nor reason to the way the game day roster is constructed. They seem to put guys on it for unknown reasons which doesn't leave them flexibility if things go sideways in a game or to maximize the performance of every one... some one really needs to sit down with oshea and tell him to stop wasting spots on the game day roster and actually have some contingencies a d development plans in place. 

43 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

I mean there's no way to block for a guy who can't catch the punt to set up a return.

The whole concept of blocking on punts is basically to slow guys down on their release to give space and then recover to tie guys up when you have the ball.  There's always going to be multiple guys who appear unblocked.  It's all on the return man to get it going.  

was Nichols in a sling?...So the likelyhood of our vet leadership now in the DB is gonna be Holm next week....and 3 rookies?....We are soooo screwed if so....

Titus Wall anyone?...but I sure we will get the "we like who we have in the clubhouse" schtick.....and if we trot out Ford..Holm..Bonds..Mcghee....my oh my....the VAJ gonna carve us right up....especially if our Dline rotation is WJ...Adams...Woods...which is very solid....and then Schmeck?..Thomas????..Hubert???Samson????....as thats all we have to choose from....shall we get the puke pails lined up?

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

was Nichols in a sling?...So the likelyhood of our vet leadership now in the DB is gonna be Holm next week....and 3 rookies?....We are soooo screwed if so....

Titus Wall anyone?...but I sure we will get the "we like who we have in the clubhouse" schtick.....and if we trot out Ford..Holm..Bonds..Mcghee....my oh my....the VAJ gonna carve us right up....especially if our Dline rotation is WJ...Adams...Woods...which is very solid....and then Schmeck?..Thomas????..Hubert???Samson????....as thats all we have to choose from....shall we get the puke pails lined up?

Oh no doubt this is going to get way worse.

IF they make all the right choices moving forward, they’re still screwed by injuries for a good month it looks like. Any kind of turnaround won’t happen in the summer now imo. 
Most realistic path is them figuring it out after LD and sneaking into the playoffs. 

Starting to look more and more like a lost season leading into a full on rebuild though, and it was completely, completely avoidable. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

... it was completely, completely avoidable. 

100% There are multiple problems on this club that might have been avoided. But one thing many in the off season said was trade Zach & keep Brown. So obvious - since Brown is the best QB prospect to enter the league in years. Effing brain trust must've seen that too. Would be interesting to know if they considered such a move. Of course we don't know contract details and what might have prevented this - even if Walters considered it. Apart from that, bone-headedness, stubborness complacency and arrogance as evidenced in 2 GC losses appear to be continuing, hastening the downswing.

19 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

100% There are multiple problems on this club that might have been avoided. But one thing many in the off season said was trade Zach & keep Brown. So obvious - since Brown is the best QB prospect to enter the league in years. Effing brain trust must've seen that too. Would be interesting to know if they considered such a move. Of course we don't know contract details and what might have prevented this - even if Walters considered it. Apart from that, bone-headedness, stubborness complacency and arrogance as evidenced in 2 GC losses appear to be continuing, hastening the downswing.

they mayhave considered it....But you know Osh would have tried whatever to trump it....and same with a few other spots......The only way to avaod it was have Walter's overule...and not resign certain guys, or just say the money doesn't work......or hire Tanya Harding haha

The only way we as a team will be able to get out of this funk of roster dificiency, and the coddling and favortism of certain vets and birhtrights...is to remove them from the pool of players.....or remove the enabler....that being said...If we brought in different guys, I am totally convinced Osh will do it again with new guys, and it repeats...over and over....

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

I’d sign wall and one of the other two dbs. Make the rookies win their spot every week. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’d sign wall and one of the other two dbs. Make the rookies win their spot every week. 

yup...theres 2..3 dudes out there now who would totally help us...with experience.....something Osh likes to trumpet about.....I'd also love that Rose was out on the corner...sure do wonders right now ....but we effectively pissed all over him last yr with a pet of the yr....and he said see ya....Bolo did it....Woli had a foot out the door...and more will...

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yup...theres 2..3 dudes out there now who would totally help us...with experience.....something Osh likes to trumpet about.....I'd also love that Rose was out on the corner...sure do wonders right now ....but we effectively pissed all over him last yr with a pet of the yr....and he said see ya....Bolo did it....Woli had a foot out the door...and more will...

Honestly we are in a position we need to start an air lift of guys moving. Our needs are piling up and we don't have the bodies to fill the holes. 

Yeah losing bolo really hurt. I really like Clercius but we could've been in an incredible situation with ni wr depth. We even did it to petey, he hasn't gotten a real chance but has kicked around a bunch since he left here. That guy was wasted to a tragic degree. 

On 2024-06-12 at 2:22 PM, 17to85 said:

The old adage is that special teams are a sign of your depth... well I'd agree. Our depth has taken a massive hit the last few years for a variety of reasons and teams have been poor. Not a coincidence in my opinion.

And talking about special teams.....who is the returner in Ottawa...Mitchell

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Dedmon is elite. 

He is and there's got to be someone else who can do the job on this club.....Ford is one but do you risk a pretty good db's health on that grinder position??  I think we better start beating the bushes for one that is at least adequate

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Oh no doubt this is going to get way worse.

IF they make all the right choices moving forward, they’re still screwed by injuries for a good month it looks like. Any kind of turnaround won’t happen in the summer now imo. 
Most realistic path is them figuring it out after LD and sneaking into the playoffs. 

Starting to look more and more like a lost season leading into a full on rebuild though, and it was completely, completely avoidable. 

If only we had spent the last couple of years building depth.