Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

With the blocking we have been giving, I don't think just changing the returner is the solution.....yes a guy like Grant can occasionally do something in spite of lack of blocking, but IMO it's a greater issue than just returner.

I theorize that even as bad as we played if we had dressed even one extra D-lineman we probably would have won...my reasoning is look at how good we were getting pressure on Brown until Habba and Fox went down, then once our D-line was exhausted and no real threat Ott was able to run the clock and Brown was able to stay mostly clean....true our offence and specials were bad, but I do really believe that our lack of rostered D-line depth cost us one Grey Cup and recently cost us this game....

Damn didn't know that Fox got hurt as well. Totally agree that as bad as our returner has been....those punts bouncing off the turf yikes....he's not getting any help with the guys blocking for him.

2 minutes ago, ddanger said:

yikes....he's not getting any help with the guys blocking for him

The return game is predicated on making the first guys miss. To do that you need to be moving forward when you catch the ball and be willing to hit the cover guys sometimes. Mitchell is slow getting to the ball and guys are sitting waiting for him, and if he does catch the ball clean he turtles when he senses a hit coming. Never succeed as a returner doing that. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Yesterday, but that had nothing to do with him playing tackle early in his career.

I think Wallace should come in at RG and Eli should be the center.

Wallace flashed really well in the first pre season game, idk if he’s ready or not. Certainly wouldn’t be the worst ol or rookie ol forced into action. I’d be ok if we stuck Vanterpool at guard even. Ol needs shaking up that’s for sure. 

21 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

If only we had spent the last couple of years building depth.

yup...said going into 2022 that we needed to start....bitched constant last yr that if we dont....well....this is what we will see

21 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup...said going into 2022 that we needed to start....bitched constant last yr that if we dont....well....this is what we will see

Yup, they fiddle ****** around with the PR usage for over 2 years, longer really. 
Case in point- Tavares Harrison, (insert random American OL), Ali Baba Mourtada and the 40 jobbers. Kelvin McKnight. This is going back to 2021. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Worthy is ....well, worthy of a shot (sorry about that one) AND Oakman is out there....Considering the injuries we're experiencing on the D line I wonder if we will give either guy a call......................................not likely, most likely

I say not likely. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

The return game is predicated on making the first guys miss. To do that you need to be moving forward when you catch the ball and be willing to hit the cover guys sometimes. Mitchell is slow getting to the ball and guys are sitting waiting for him, and if he does catch the ball clean he turtles when he senses a hit coming. Never succeed as a returner doing that. 

The great returners are explosive. One step & they find a seam & run by tacklers. Mitchell has no explosiveness. Seeing Grant is Toronto is crazy. What a slap in the face to all the fans who support this team. He's better than anyone we have. And we had no money for him??? Watch attendance numbers fall off a cliff. 

28 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I say not likely. 

The great returners are explosive. One step & they find a seam & run by tacklers. Mitchell has no explosiveness. Seeing Grant is Toronto is crazy. What a slap in the face to all the fans who support this team. He's better than anyone we have. And we had no money for him??? Watch attendance numbers fall off a cliff. 

After two stinkers in a row, you bet the fans are going to start staying away if we don't start turning things around. 

42 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

After two stinkers in a row, you bet the fans are going to start staying away if we don't start turning things around. 

Yup. However I do think they might have built some brand loyalty but the average fan let’s change that to average non season ticket holder fan who decides the day of to purchase 4 tickets. That won’t happen if the team sucks. What do we as fans have to cheer for. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Yup. However I do think they might have built some brand loyalty but the average fan let’s change that to average non season ticket holder fan who decides the day of to purchase 4 tickets. That won’t happen if the team sucks. What do we as fans have to cheer for. 

I don’t think the casuals have it figured out yet, but if/when they come out like this against the Lions, oh man..

BC and Sask get the drinking crowd more riled up and the stadium can get ugly quick when we lose to them. 

Just now, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t think the casuals have it figured out yet, but if/when they come out like this against the Lions, oh man..

BC and Sask get the drinking crowd more riled up and the stadium can get ugly quick when we lose to them. 

casual fan right now....is likely thinking man...Injuries are killing us....and thats not 100 percent wrong either......it's just compounding things, and exploiting the fact we have minimal depth...had no contingency plan in lace, nor enough forward thinking.....and combine that with a poor roster make-up with inadequate back-ups for injured players (Tho Wheat's looked legit)  and next game him and Johnson with Schoen, Demski and Woli .would serve us well..I'd like to see Clericus too cutting his teeth with more involvement..well you see how 1 injury can cripple you...and 2..3..like last night killed us

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

casual fan right now....is likely thinking man...Injuries are killing us....and thats not 100 percent wrong either......it's just compounding things, and exploiting the fact we have minimal depth...had no contingency plan in lace, nor enough forward thinking.....and combine that with a poor roster make-up with inadequate back-ups for injured players (Tho Wheat's looked legit)  and next game him and Johnson with Schoen, Demski and Woli .would serve us well..I'd like to see Clericus too cutting his teeth with more involvement..well you see how 1 injury can cripple you...and 2..3..like last night killed us

Ideally next week, I’d like to see Wilson/Mitchell/ plus either Kolo/Neufeld off (if they insist on 7 OL) and Johnson/Clercius/Vanterpool on. 

I’d rip the bandaid off right now and have the OL Bryant/Dobson/Eli/Wallace/Lofton with Vanterpool as the 6th and one of the 2 crappers as 7th. 
If an OL goes down, Vanterpool goes in and Clercius comes in for an American receiver. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

7 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Ideally next week we see, I’d like to see Wilson/Mitchell/ plus either Kolo/Neufeld off and Johnson/Clercius/Vanterpool on. 

I’d rip the bandaid off right now and have the OL Bryant/Dobson/Eli/Wallace/Lofton with Vanterpool as the 6th. 
If an OL goes down, Vanterpool goes in and Clercius comes in for an American receiver. 

and since we wasting a 7th on another oline guy anyway...dress Neuf as that....To me he had a bad game...who didnt....but do any of us know the calls...did Kolo make bad blocking scheme calls....and hag guys out to dry....did he not realize on tandems...meat calls...Charlies...that he needs to maintain his guy....a lot of time the guard is to engage and leav to next level based on centers call...if center made wrong call...of course it will look like the guard is "running away from the play" which is one of the more funnier brain dead comments I have seen here....he is doing his role to go seal off a backer ...who isnt there because the center effed his call up...I bet it would be night and day difference with a Dobson ..Eli Neuf interior..

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

and since we wasting a 7th on another oline guy anyway...dress Neuf as that....To me he had a bad game...who didnt....but do any of us know the calls...did Kolo make bad blocking scheme calls....and habg guys out to dry....did he not realize on tandems...meat calls...Charlies...that he needs to maintain his guy....a lot of time the guard is to engage and leav to next level based on centers call...if center made wrong call...of course it will look like the guard is "running away from the play" which is one of the more funnier brain dead comments I have seen here....he is doing his role to go seal of a backer ...who isnt there because the center effed his call up...

I see it as the C being the main weakness too. 

Everything in football starts from the middle, and I’ve just seen dude knocked on his ass so many times in so many games when the other linemen were getting it done. 

I just can’t see how a proper center wouldn’t make the line look 100x better. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I see it as the C being the main weakness too. 

Everything in football starts from the middle, and I’ve just seen dude knocked on his ass so many times in so many games when the other linemen were getting it done. 

I just can’t see how a proper center wouldn’t make the line look 100x better. 

Collaros will be on the 6 game IR if they don't figure out their OL blocking & fast. That play where Kolo & Neuf just left their blockers & they sacked Zach was just so sad to see. I mean, some of us laughed because it looked so stupid.... It was so bizarre I watched that play over three times in slo mo just trying to understand what happened. But it won't be funny when our season & any chance of making the playoffs goes down the drain when Collaros is making like a Drew Willy piniatta. 

Why Eli doesn’t start is just baffling honestly. Eli and Wallace next week could no way be worse than kolo and especially neufeld who looked like at times that he wanted no part of pass protection at all. 

O’Shea does piss you off tho if you listen to his pressers or after the game radio things but that’s how he is. 

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Normally I would say - new OL they should get a chance to gel.

Im not an expert in o-line play. But there's one thing that stands out to me more than anything and that's the lack of push on the QB sneaks. For a bunch of guys that are supposed to be maulers they sure aren't getting a lot of push.

So much this. After the last however many years, where we could get 2 or 3 yards every time almost automatic... These last two games have been shocking to watch. Barely getting a yard or less. It's hard to watch. 

53 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

We have Woods and rookie Canadian DE Huebert left on the pr for DL reinforcements. Walters needs to bring in a few guys asap.

I hope they can get Garbutt off the 6 game early because frankly he’s starting to turn into a bit of a white buffalo. Lotta guys made the club from the tub this year. 
If he’s staying the full 6, you’re right they need an airlift already. 

Silver lining, I’m pretty sure Hubert already offers more than Anthony Bennett did. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

53 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

We have Woods and rookie Canadian DE Huebert left on the pr for DL reinforcements. Walters needs to bring in a few guys asap.

Yeeeep. But they might delay it. Adam’s is being used soo much as an end and we use the 30 front more than the 40. 

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

Normally I would say - new OL they should get a chance to gel.

Im not an expert in o-line play. But there's one thing that stands out to me more than anything and that's the lack of push on the QB sneaks. For a bunch of guys that are supposed to be maulers they sure aren't getting a lot of push.

It’s not a bunch is the problem. Dobson is a mauler. Eli, wallace but he’s raw. Neuf is toast. We could put out a killer road grading interior if we wanted. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Yeeeep. But they might delay it. Adam’s is being used soo much as an end and we use the 30 front more than the 40. 

Yeah, JY uses a lot of 30 front.
I actually like a lot of the looks on D, even if it’s by necessity due to injuries/personnel 

When they’ve blitzed it’s (so far) been less telegraphed than under Hall. 

Granted the lack of Offence, rookies gelling, injuries, I have no major beef with the defensive performance overall.
Room for improvement but the amount of points they’ve given up is more than good enough to win games with even borderline competent O and ST.