Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Think Fayad and Smith will be on.  Mitchell and someone else will be off, likely Bridges or Ayers.

Well Fayed on for Haba...Smith for Mitchell...no need to drop anyone else....Also Woods for FOX will be 1 for 1...why we dont have another end here....or even a muti technique interior guy is odd....but not surprising

14 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

These updates are getting me to think it’s going to be the status quo again this week. No urgency to change things and get better. The arrogance from the coaching staff.. 

Same here. I expect mostly across the board position for position swaps on the AR. 

4 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Woods and Samson were added to the active roster over the weekend. Doesnt guarantee they will be playing however.

if Woods isnt...and we only have WJ and Adams ...OSh should be canned right after the game and I'm not even kidding

I thought the DL in pre season was solid and that was with a ton of different guys. They were ok game 1 and looked better game 2 until the injuries hit. Aslong as you dress enough guys, I think we should be ok there. 

seriously way more concerned about the O. If they can’t move the ball it don’t matter who you dress on D, they gonna tire out regardless. They have been on the field lots the past 2 games. Most of that is because the O ain’t moving the ball. How many first downs do we even have. 

Edited by Goalie

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

At this point they need to establish a  run game. Collaros ain't gonna pass his way out of trouble now. Need a run game to lean on for now.

Or reliable plays to get 4-6 yards on first down.  What works to get that changes based on personnel and strength of the group.  Our OL isn't moving anyone in run blocking or holding a pocket for very long so that needs to change the approach until they are changed.

Screens, quick stuff.  If we're in 2nd and 8-15 the whole game we can't stay on the field or really challenge any defense.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

14 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Or reliable plays to get 4-6 yards on first down.  What works to get that changes based on personnel and strength of the group.  Our OL isn't moving anyone in run blocking or holding a pocket for very long so that needs to change the approach until they are changed.

Screens, quick stuff.  If we're in 2nd and 8-15 the whole game we can't stay on the field or really challenge any defense.

Well collaros has sucked at the quick game forever so not hopeful if it's not a run game. 

47 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I thought the DL in pre season was solid and that was with a ton of different guys. They were ok game 1 and looked better game 2 until the injuries hit. Aslong as you dress enough guys, I think we should be ok there. 

seriously way more concerned about the O. If they can’t move the ball it don’t matter who you dress on D, they gonna tire out regardless. They have been on the field lots the past 2 games. Most of that is because the O ain’t moving the ball. How many first downs do we even have. 

Keep in mind we gave up 130 rush yards and 6plus yards per carry while generating 2 sacks. Our  was better in preseason with out Thomas. O is the big worry for sure though. 

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Well collaros has sucked at the quick game forever so not hopeful if it's not a run game. 

We have run some fast stuff with success with him, problem is he only sticks to it for soo long. It’s like not throwing deep tears him up in side lol. 

1 hour ago, BomberBall. said:

Starting Eli over Kola would be a good start

Eli over neufeld would be better. Or Wallace or an American. Neufeld is cooked. Kolo not great but he’s probably a fine 6th OL. Neufeld is cooked.  If I’m the coaches I’m cutting neufeld Thomas and BA. Start sending the message that performance on the field matters cuz right now, it doesn’t. 

is O’Shea so loyal to his washed up vets that he can’t tell a guy or 2 or 3 or more they are done? 

if so, I really hope Kyle and if need be wade steps in and says something although I feel Osh has bought himself teflon 

does it end when Zach is carted off the field cuz you start inferior washed up players? It might. Cuz Strev atleast has the ability to run away or escape the pressure or truck a dude, Zach certainly don’t. 

Edited by Goalie

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We have run some fast stuff with success with him, problem is he only sticks to it for soo long. It’s like not throwing deep tears him up in side lol. 

I was bored last night so I watched some 2019 playoff highlights. Interesting to see how collaros back then took a lot of heat in the pocket too, but he was able to avoid it and make a play. These days he never seems able to avoid it. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

I was bored last night so I watched some 2019 playoff highlights. Interesting to see how collaros back then took a lot of heat in the pocket too, but he was able to avoid it and make a play. These days he never seems able to avoid it. 

He has very little mobility currently it seems. Even less than last year. And I’ve noticed him staring guys down quite a bit already this season. All QBs do it, Brown did also a couple of times, Zach tho doing it more often than not. I don’t think you can say it’s rust anymore. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Eli over neufeld would be better. Or Wallace or an American. Neufeld is cooked. Kolo not great but he’s probably a fine 6th OL. Neufeld is cooked.  If I’m the coaches I’m cutting neufeld Thomas and BA. Start sending the message that performance on the field matters cuz right now, it doesn’t. 

is O’Shea so loyal to his washed up vets that he can’t tell a guy or 2 or 3 or more they are done? 

if so, I really hope Kyle and if need be wade steps in and says something although I feel Osh has bought himself teflon 

does it end when Zach is carted off the field cuz you start inferior washed up players? It might. Cuz Strev atleast has the ability to run away or escape the pressure or truck a dude, Zach certainly don’t. 

I don’t agree. Either would be an upgrade, but every one has played a nose against us going back to mid to late last year and ravaged the pocket. 
 I think going imp at guard would be fine, Wallace could slide in and be an upgrade too. He has some struggles to endure and a learning curve but he has tremendous upside and looked fantastic in pre season game one. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

19 Collaros was a different animal for sure. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

He has very little mobility currently it seems. Even less than last year. And I’ve noticed him staring guys down quite a bit already this season. All QBs do it, Brown did also a couple of times, Zach tho doing it more often than not. I don’t think you can say it’s rust anymore. 

I don’t think it’s some physical issue preventing him from running, though he could certainly have lost a step and he was never crazy fast. 
 He’s soo hesitant, and just tucks it right away so the D pins their ears back when they see it. 

I do suspect Zachs hand has never been the same going back to last year. Twice last year and once the year before he hit his throwing hand bad on helmets during the follow through. Could be part of the hesitant thing though. But the ball looks terrible leaving his hand this year. He hasn’t just struggled with touch this year or accuracy it’s been both and under throwing virtually every window. 

It’s hard to say how much is rust (he clearly has been struggling with game speed) how much is deterioration, and how much is supporting cast. If we fix the ol and get weapons healthy things will improve. But I don’t expect to see the guy who scores a td on every drive while cruising to 400/4 and an early to mid 4th quarter exit. 

Edited by wbbfan

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

At this point they need to establish a  run game. Collaros ain't gonna pass his way out of trouble now. Need a run game to lean on for now.

Does anybody think Johnny Augustine is a guy who can carry the run game as the starter behind Oliveira? I don't. Sure would be nice to know the situation with Brady but as usual there's no info. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

To me a cooked Neufeld is still better than a center that simply isn’t good enough to be playing pro football. Not that either should be anything more than backups at this point. 

Ideally Eli and Wallace in and Kolo/Neufeld out. I’ll eat my own hat if that actually happens with this coaching staff though. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Does anybody think Johnny Augustine is a guy who can carry the run game as the starter behind Oliveira? I don't. Sure would be nice to know the situation with Brady but as usual there's no info. 

Bully-ball should be in this club's DNA. But something is evidently broken with this Oline. Johnny A is an excellent back and he could carry the rock with success any day. He averaged better YPC than Strev or Brady in the loss vs Alouettes. But Bombers don't seem to be committed to the run so far this season. Surprising given Collaros's lacklustre play behind this O line.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They should at least use him and see... yet another ******* bonkers preseason idea. Give all the carries to Americans they were always going to cut... why notjgive augustine reps if is your guy when Brady is out?

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They should at least use him and see... yet another ******* bonkers preseason idea. Give all the carries to Americans they were always going to cut... why notjgive augustine reps if is your guy when Brady is out?

They're going to have to now considering we have no freaking idea when Augustine will be back. 

47 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

He isn’t that guy. Good change of pace back, really just a first down back. 

40 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Bully-ball should be in this club's DNA. But something is evidently broken with this Oline. Johnny A is an excellent back and he could carry the rock with success any day. He averaged better YPC than Strev or Brady in the loss vs Alouettes. But Bombers don't seem to be committed to the run so far this season. Surprising given Collaros's lacklustre play behind this O line.

Out side of own carry Augustine averaged barely 2 yards per carry. You can’t run bully ball when you’re constantly in 2nd and 7 or 8. Augustine can’t and doesn’t punish defenders physically. He can gash yardage and get into the secondary. 

Listening in on the coaches show. First caller is wondering if O'Shea is frustrated with all the injuries and throwing stuff against the wall in his office. O'Shea assures the caller that he is not throwing things against the wall in the office. DT asks if he would like to hit the reset button like in Madden. Mike has not played Madden before. Nor has he played Tecmo bowl. Only Coleco.

Second caller. Judy likes Mike's shorts. That's it. Just likes the shorts.

Now we've got Jeff on the line. Asking about departures of Dru Brown, Houston, and Janarion. And Collaros is getting a bit older, was that a tough choice? O'Shea says no, not a tough decision. Collaros is the best. Also we prefer players who stay even when we can't match other teams' offers.

Edited by Atomic