Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

The beauty of football is you can actually do a lot. 

Roll out, boot leg, slide protection, play 6 ol and or two backs/wr to have an extra blocker on each side, pinch the ol to reduce gaps, use passing concepts that have blitz busters, are easier and faster to read, generally better first down play calls too. 
We aren’t committed or productive enough with the run on first down, and we need for Collaros not to be in 2nd and long a lot or throwing on first and ten. So use pre snap motion and run the ball with Demski/strevy more and more one/two step drop timing routes. 

1000% agree. There’s so much we can do to help with protection and run blocking. In addition to what you said, maybe crack the de’s a few times. Might slow down the rush a bit if they’re worried about being decleated.

I thought in the Ottawa game we moved Collaros around more, to mixed results, but it was better than standing in the pocket.

Also, our use of Strevy has sucked so far. If anything, we’re using him less than we did Prukop last year. I don’t understand why we aren’t using him more, especially given our struggles to move the ball.

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

1000% agree. There’s so much we can do to help with protection and run blocking. In addition to what you said, maybe crack the de’s a few times. Might slow down the rush a bit if they’re worried about being decleated.

I thought in the Ottawa game we moved Collaros around more, to mixed results, but it was better than standing in the pocket.

Also, our use of Strevy has sucked so far. If anything, we’re using him less than we did Prukop last year. I don’t understand why we aren’t using him more, especially given our struggles to move the ball.

Yeah, bit of protection improvement for sure. 
 It seems like buck is waiting for our current stuff to work in order to progress, but it isn’t just gonna start working. He’s got to create the success and use schemes and guys not wait to counter. He’s being too tentative like a bad amateur fighter. Waiting soo long to land the knock out counter that he loses the fight. 
 We’ve used some better plays but way too infrequently, and not when we need it.  As long as Brady is out first down should either have demski motioning or in the back field, both qbs, or a good timing hot route queued up. And we need to go hurry up after converting with Strevy, who needs to throw the ball. Especially when he comes on in 2nd and one or short. 

I think past success isnt a reason to cling on it for future success.....They leaned on it since second cup win....and it's not worked...has been degrading ever since to the point now where we "could" be teetering to bottom of the West level ineptitude....things eveolve and change....you see it all the time especially in football.

I also look at it as if maybe...past success was a result of the benefit of a lot of top end talent...in its prime that kinda coached /policed itself......and very well for that matter....before that we were awful and the HC was on his way out the door...had a foot out.....fast forward 3 yrs post dominance....older team that is not was it was...some guys we still leaning on that should have been gone last yr already.....similar ussues and problems creeping in like pre 2019 run...HC seemingly clueless and not having answers....be it on the field or with media.....hmmmmm....Maybe he isn't the be all end all and a lot of people seem to wanna believe,,,as we as a team have been out-coached...alot of late (last several years) and he still is relying on his "room" to maintain their process and it will right itself.....something to think about.....he definately not showing above average coaching and decision makong skills

Edited by Booch

25 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think past success isnt a reason to cling on it for future success.....They leaned on it since second cup win....and it's not worked...has been degrading ever since to the point now where we "could" be teetering to bottom of the West level ineptitude....things eveolve and change....you see it all the time especially in football.

You can't use Grey cup rings as the only metric of success- that is unrealistic and borderline dishonest.

By every other metric- we have had an enormous amount of success these past 4 (5) years.  literally one play away in each Grey cup from winning. Don't you get started on "wellifwerostered9dlineandsatthesealandschoenandcutjakethomasandwipethatsmugfaceoffoshblahblahblahblahwewouldhave4greycupsyadayadayadayada" - we know, we have heard it a 1000 times and most would agree with that.

But.

Despite all the cracks and so forth- it was a great deal of success that we fans have witnessed over the past 4 (5) years. That glosses over any need for wholesale changes- because there were winning. 

Just posting this for some perspective. 

5 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

You can't use Grey cup rings as the only metric of success- that is unrealistic and borderline dishonest.

By every other metric- we have had an enormous amount of success these past 4 (5) years.  literally one play away in each Grey cup from winning. Don't you get started on "wellifwerostered9dlineandsatthesealandschoenandcutjakethomasandwipethatsmugfaceoffoshblahblahblahblahwewouldhave4greycupsyadayadayadayada" - we know, we have heard it a 1000 times and most would agree with that.

But.

Despite all the cracks and so forth- it was a great deal of success that we fans have witnessed over the past 4 (5) years. That glosses over any need for wholesale changes- because there were winning. 

I appreciate this perspective but I think what’s being glossed over is that the TALENT is what got us there.

The primary issue now is that we don’t seem to be valuing talent over everything. Our whole philosophy on how we get to these winning records seems to be slowly going out the window.

I know this is going to be a bit of an unfair argument but in the past two years, can anyone name me any coaching decisions that O’Shea has made that benefited us? Or have we mostly just been going at it with a set it and forget it type approach to the game and letting the chips fall where they may?

Obviously I don’t mean specific schemes, but have we challenged at a huge moment? Pulled off a fake? Made a midweek roster change that paid dividends? Even the scripted first drive that we used to dominate on seems to have gone by the wayside.

It’s become fairly clear to me the players and their talent is what propped us up and O’Shea seems content to let that continue, even though it’s not good enough anymore. Make the adjustments. Make unpopular decisions. Feel the game and coach within it. Where has ANY of that been?

I was gonna say earlier....when was the last time we saw some unique play and or strategy....a fake of any kind.....a big gamble....When have we ever gone for 2 points...and be adept at that in case a time comes when we need to?....We have basically had things in aut-pilot for some time now

2 hours ago, Booch said:

I was gonna say earlier....when was the last time we saw some unique play and or strategy....a fake of any kind.....a big gamble....When have we ever gone for 2 points...and be adept at that in case a time comes when we need to?....We have basically had things in aut-pilot for some time now

Very Vanilla....you're right....Seems something out of the ordinary is too daring for the club....Nothing like catching the opposition napping and pulling off a long gainer ....We have the perfect guy to pull something like that off   ....his name is Chris.....I say when the chips are down do something sneaky and innovative....or is that now beyond us

Edited by Stickem

49 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

But.

I disagree about the 4/5 years. It's more like 7/8. This team has been at the very least exciting to watch for almost a decade. The W/L record since 2016 can't be matched by anyone else. We've had a good long run of success outside of just GC wins and losses. 

Edited by Bigblue204

6 hours ago, Booch said:

i enjoy it as well....and have a good chuckle at the assumptions of many, and the mocking that I think I know more than anyone..Including Osh..when I talk to players and management of pretty much every team...still train with many....help train new guys looking to get up here and in the NFL and have a pretty good inside pulse.....And yeah I will say if I was given the reigns of this team in camp...I could have had us sitign here at 2-0...Laugh all you want....yhou all know who you are!

Perfectly fine to voice your opinion as a fan. But the arrogance of two dudes named “Booch” and “Mike” on these boards is hilarious. 
bombers have some real problems, O’Shea has some real flaws. They’ve also won two grey cups and four straight west titles, unlike two dudes named “Booch” and “Mike”.

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah, bit of protection improvement for sure. 
 It seems like buck is waiting for our current stuff to work in order to progress, but it isn’t just gonna start working. He’s got to create the success and use schemes and guys not wait to counter. He’s being too tentative like a bad amateur fighter. Waiting soo long to land the knock out counter that he loses the fight. 
 We’ve used some better plays but way too infrequently, and not when we need it.  As long as Brady is out first down should either have demski motioning or in the back field, both qbs, or a good timing hot route queued up. And we need to go hurry up after converting with Strevy, who needs to throw the ball. Especially when he comes on in 2nd and one or short. 

Buck of all people should get this quicker. They rolled him out for like 2 years straight when our oline was hot trash. 

11 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Is he though?  We have some of the worst teams play in the CFL.  That's not an indictment of just Karamoko - that whole phase of the team is letting us down. Karamoko's utility is that he's a cheap, global player .. not that he's doing anything meaningful on teams.

Hell .. they should just start Adams at RB.  

Defensive lineman, punter .. snaps at running back.  Guy seems like he can do it all!  I kid .... sort of.

Get him in the army reserves and teach him to long snap. He could be a young Damian Jackson if he plays his card right. 

41 minutes ago, TommyClements said:

Perfectly fine to voice your opinion as a fan. But the arrogance of two dudes named “Booch” and “Mike” on these boards is hilarious. 
bombers have some real problems, O’Shea has some real flaws. They’ve also won two grey cups and four straight west titles, unlike two dudes named “Booch” and “Mike”.

Lol, the better part of the forum has pretty much the same ideas. This was a Booch and Mike thing like 2 years ago. 
The constant whining about 2 out of the 10 guys who share the same opinions is more repetitive than the points you’re complaining about. 

47 minutes ago, TommyClements said:

Why did you put my name in quotations? That’s literally my name.

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They're not wrong,  they're just assholes.

More generous review than my wife would give 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Lol, the better part of the forum has pretty much the same ideas. This was a Booch and Mike thing like 2 years ago. 
The constant whining about 2 out of the 10 guys who share the same opinions is more repetitive than the points you’re complaining about. 

I don’t disagree with some of their actual points about lineup decisions. Although blaming Thomas, Kramdi and Gauthier for everything is getting old.

Mostly I find it funny that two guys off the street literally say they could run the CFL club better. Who wants “Booch” and Mike in charge of anything?

8 minutes ago, TommyClements said:

I don’t disagree with some of their actual points about lineup decisions. Although blaming Thomas, Kramdi and Gauthier for everything is getting old.

Mostly I find it funny that two guys off the street literally say they could run the CFL club better. Who wants “Booch” and Mike in charge of anything?

Cuz they been there ,done that ? Have you??

Just now, TommyClements said:

Tbf, they’d use the DA rule at least..

Personally, I know damn well I don’t know the X’s and O’s like a pro coach, but at times this year and last, I feel like I ( or Mike, or Booch or yourself for that matter) could put just the gameday roster together as well or better than our staff, straight up. 

I’ve always felt it’s not a glass half empty/half full argument so to speak.
Moreso, what better place than a fan forum to theorize about how to keep water up to the brim? 

That’s what I think these guys have been getting at on here, and somewhat misunderstood as “negative”. There’s more nuance to it than that. 

18 minutes ago, TommyClements said:

I like your use of "s.