Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The difference between people who know how to watch a game to understand what’s happening, and regular viewing is gigantic. Most people try to follow the ball and miss 90% of the play. Even if you know the X’s and O’s, relative position play etc if you’ve never been taught how to watch film you see a different game. 

On top of that you have things like understanding positions from a competitive stand point. This is where observations like tipping plays, kick stepping too far too fast etc come in. 
 You also have understanding from the x/o level you get the difference between Dbs coming over to try and make up plays vs being beaten. 

Football has the most strategic nuance of any main stream sport. A little bit of knowledge goes soo far. Guys like mike booch jbr and a couple others clearly have high level understanding of these various areas. 
 Some people don’t like what they hear because it doesn’t match what they see and they can’t counter the points on merit so they attack the posters. And when I see posters attacking those people it just tells me all I need to know about those posters. 
 They love the bandy about not a real fans, or hot hand fallacy etc. as if what happened here 4 and 5 years ago is more important than what we see on the field today. 

Maybe Pepperidge farms is ed tait! 🤣 

Wheatfall sure looked like a beast in a few catches last week. If Schoen is healthy he should have a good chance to shine. 

Agreed. I attended a coaches clinic in Texas years ago that illustrated the art of breaking down film, and I had no idea at that point just how poorly I had been doing it previously. lol. I fairness to almost everybody here, we are all trying to be film warriors from broadcast film and that is difficult to do zoomed in for TV.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Idk. I always thought he was kind of milquetoast, then I’ve heard him in more informal interviews/stories from others. Lapo’s f’n hilarious. 
Even last week on CJOB “Well, Derek Taylor’s  taking about hookers on the golf course” 

He was excellent on the broad cast. He really she be in the booth full time. 

8 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Pro Stats Canada just named Kramdi top SLB/S of week 2.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?id=1626415874309039&story_fbid=3920914588192478

Is that the new pff? Haven’t heard any thing about them. I’m distrustful of home made stat accumulators in the cfl. It’s way too easy to have bad values. 
 For instance Kramdi had 7 tackles, which can be good or bad for a Sam. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is that the new pff? Haven’t heard any thing about them. I’m distrustful of home made stat accumulators in the cfl. It’s way too easy to have bad values. 

Yea, context is everything especially in a stat like tackles. That's why I hate seeing tackles as an indicator of good MIKE play for instance. It might be....but it might not be as well.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I don't think it's the new PFF. They are still doing their own thing. PFF actually had Tyrell Ford as one of their top ten players in week 2, the only Bomber that made their list.

24 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'll predict we dress 7 Dlineman this week.

Right now on the active roster we have seven: WJ, Woods, Adams, Thomas, Schmek, Samson, and Hubert. That could obviously change by the time they put out the depth chart.

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yea, context is everything especially in a stat like tackles. That's why I hate seeing tackles as an indicator of good MIKE play for instance. It might be....but it might not be as well.

Where are the tackles made...before yard's...at line of scrimmage...that's what to look for...same with a guy who..awesome a tackle after a pass and gaining ofnyards...he was "right there" etc..etc...I'd rather see a pass break up...turnover...or Maki g the qb make either a bad...or perfect throw...that's my issue with Kramdi...sure he seems like he all over the place..but mostly after the fact...where has he causes a turnover...break up a play? That Cole interception first game...anticipation...speed to close..athletic ability to get in position to take it away...Ktamdi can't make that kind of play...but he good in cushion coverage and trying to limit the gain...we.need better 

19 minutes ago, Booch said:

Where are the tackles made...before yard's...at line of scrimmage...that's what to look for...same with a guy who..awesome a tackle after a pass and gaining ofnyards...he was "right there" etc..etc...I'd rather see a pass break up...turnover...or Maki g the qb make either a bad...or perfect throw...that's my issue with Kramdi...sure he seems like he all over the place..but mostly after the fact...where has he causes a turnover...break up a play? That Cole interception first game...anticipation...speed to close..athletic ability to get in position to take it away...Ktamdi can't make that kind of play...but he good in cushion coverage and trying to limit the gain...we.need better 

There are far bigger issues than Kramdi on the other hand...

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

There are far bigger issues than Kramdi on the other hand...

Oh for sure...I agree...tho we can do much better there especially when the position doesn't need to be a Canadian one....do you not want the best possible talent playing? If Osh feels the need to give him moocho rep' as he obviously a Fav....stick him at safety where his ability would be more in line with his impact

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The difference between people who know how to watch a game to understand what’s happening, and regular viewing is gigantic. Most people try to follow the ball and miss 90% of the play. Even if you know the X’s and O’s, relative position play etc if you’ve never been taught how to watch film you see a different game. 

On top of that you have things like understanding positions from a competitive stand point. This is where observations like tipping plays, kick stepping too far too fast etc come in. 
 You also have understanding from the x/o level you get the difference between Dbs coming over to try and make up plays vs being beaten. 

Football has the most strategic nuance of any main stream sport. A little bit of knowledge goes soo far. Guys like mike booch jbr and a couple others clearly have high level understanding of these various areas. 
 Some people don’t like what they hear because it doesn’t match what they see and they can’t counter the points on merit so they attack the posters. And when I see posters attacking those people it just tells me all I need to know about those posters. 
 They love the bandy about not a real fans, or hot hand fallacy etc. as if what happened here 4 and 5 years ago is more important than what we see on the field today. 

Maybe Pepperidge farms is ed tait! 🤣 

Wheatfall sure looked like a beast in a few catches last week. If Schoen is healthy he should have a good chance to shine. 

As a long term fan i realize my expertise is not Football and all the nuances of the game like some poster's here. Never professed to be an expert but i do have some ability to see when a team has been to 4 straight Grey Cups and have won 2 ,that perhaps these professional coaches  might have a little more insight and knowledge than our highly esteemed and knowledgeable posters. It is just a theory but i am sticking to it.😊

2 minutes ago, bb1 said:

As a long term fan i realize my expertise is not Football and all the nuances of the game like some poster's here. Never professed to be an expert but i do have some ability to see when a team has been to 4 straight Grey Cups and have won 2 ,that perhaps these professional coaches  might have a little more insight and knowledge than our highly esteemed and knowledgeable posters. It is just a theory but i am sticking to it.😊

2021....is now basically 4 seasons ago now...things change...we havn't.....resting on laurels...or past success.....gets you...well where we are teetering right now....the encouraging part minor tweeaks to lineup...minor changes in philosophy and things will be all right....sad part...we have a HC who is resisting doing it

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

I'm of the opinion that I don't care if you've been around the game 20 years or 2 days .. everyone should have a voice.  It doesn't matter if you know the X's and O's, this is a place for *all* fans to talk about and support the team.

8 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

I'm of the opinion that I don't care if you've been around the game 20 years or 2 days .. everyone should have a voice.  It doesn't matter if you know the X's and O's, this is a place for *all* fans to talk about and support the team.

and we may not always agree and squabble....but thats what discussion and debate is

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

1 hour ago, Booch said:

That’s exactly why I broke down one games worth of tackle info last year between awe and biggie. awe had like 10 tackles and biggie 6, but biggies average depth of tackle was 3 yards and awe’s was damn near 10. The expectant yards per play on biggies stops were all more than the stamps actual yardage by a good 3. And we were gaining almost double our average against awe. 

even that, gain after first contact on the tackler is a huge factor, all those are higher effort to track and require manual tracking though. Most of these analytics are just using the score box. which just isn’t enough to evaluate a bunch of positions.  

7 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Agree with your comment(s). I limit my time on this site, as its the same stuff over/over by those in the know and seconded by those that are the followers. 

In conclusion, voodoochylde, I voiced my concern back in Mar, got into a back/front with a couple posters on here which wasn't worth my time or theirs... This group/site is what is.  

21 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Agree with your comment(s). I limit my time on this site, as its the same stuff over/over by those in the know and seconded by those that are the followers. 

In conclusion, voodoochylde, I voiced my concern back in Mar, got into a back/front with a couple posters on here which wasn't worth my time or theirs... This group/site is what is.  

You keep saying this (you said it back in March too) but it seems like what you’re really looking for isn’t a discussion forum, it’s a diary.

I looked back through your post history. You haven’t really gotten into it with anyone, you just don’t seem to enjoy being asked to explain your opinion or being told that someone disagrees with you. 

Gdr isn’t as bad as I had thought it would be which is nice. Worry about bridges taking over for Nichols. Strange they roster bo but start Augustine must not be 100%? Smith is back and kring which is good. 
 Dl looks ok, but I hope Adams gets lots of reps inside while Fayad comes in at end.