Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wouldn't have minded seeing Mitchell get some reps at receiver and maybe Wilson gets sat.  Wilson has looked god awful.  No indication of any willingness to start and finish plays.  If he doesn't start being productive in this game I think he's gotta be done.  I can't believe we cut 16 guys that would be worse than him and Mitchell when the lights come on.

He's had what, two targets so far? Jury still out to me on Wilson. Mitchell hasn't had any time to play WR at all really in that time. 

Think Pokey Wilson clearly showed a lot in camp to be the Week 1 starter but I agree, I wonder if he doesn't do well this week if we'll see Josh Johnson there instead

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wouldn't have minded seeing Mitchell get some reps at receiver and maybe Wilson gets sat.  Wilson has looked god awful.  No indication of any willingness to start and finish plays.  If he doesn't start being productive in this game I think he's gotta be done.  I can't believe we cut 16 guys that would be worse than him and Mitchell when the lights come on.

I was actually thinking this myself. Mitchell showed decently as a receiver in preseason.

41 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Yeah I'm guessing he is still questionable to even play but they are leaving it to the last possible minute to decide.

That's my thought but they could always just add him to the roster tomorrow if he's good to go.

If a starter was questionable they would put game time decision beside his name, not sure if they do that with back ups.

As others have said…. I’m fairly happy with this lineup, based on who’s available, but I would have liked to see Eli in at C and Johnson in for Wilson.  Eli specifically, is the one I really can’t understand.  I assume the reasoning is MOS wants to give the line time to gel, but Kola has been a doormat for far too long.

Edited by BomberBall.

5 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

As others have said…. I’m fairly happy with this lineup, based on who’s available, but I would have liked to see Eli in at C and Johnson in for Wilson.  Eli specifically, is the one I really can’t understand.  I assume the reasoning is MOS wants to give the line time to gel, but Kola has been a doormat for far too long.

I have neen thinking... did Eli not getting vaxxed and being unavailable for the 2021 grey cup put him on the **** list? Cause there's no way he isn't one of our 5 best OL.

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I have neen thinking... did Eli not getting vaxxed and being unavailable for the 2021 grey cup put him on the **** list? Cause there's no way he isn't one of our 5 best OL.

Wouldn’t have brought him back imo. I think it’s just mos faves he loves kola. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I heard there were some guys kinda upset with how he left...but I also heard everything was washed after he returned. No hard feelings.

Also like WBB said, if that was the case...why bring him back?

6 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I heard there were some guys kinda upset with how he left...but I also heard everything was washed after he returned. No hard feelings.

Also like WBB said, if that was the case...why bring him back?

Agree with this. I think its more easily explained by Mike O'Shea giving incumbents several games to lose their jobs. I don't think he wants vets looking over their shoulders for having 1 or 2 bad games. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Agree with this. I think its more easily explained by Mike O'Shea giving incumbents several games to lose their jobs. I don't think he wants vets looking over their shoulders for having 1 or 2 bad games. 

It's a fine line. Sometimes you gotta give players rope to play through their struggles, like Zac right now for instance. However, sometimes you just gotta sit a guy down instead of beating your head against the wall. Kola likely toes the line right on the edge of both of those. Therefore, only hindsight will be 20/20 on what to do with him.

6 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Kolas has sucked for a couple seasons now. This isn't a case of a few games. I remember telling noeller last season that I bet kola starts the year but before the end of the season Eli has the job. So this isn't a this year thing.

12 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

they should be tho...any player should be constantly looking over their shoulder.....thats the whiole part of complacency that has crept in....Earn and maintain your spot...or be left by way side....shouldnt matter who you are..Perform...or be replaced...cut and dried

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Kola wasn't an incumbent last year though and people felt Eli should be in there.  Eli is also more of a vet on this team than Kola is.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

they should be tho...any player should be constantly looking over their shoulder.....thats the whiole part of complacency that has crept in....Earn and maintain your spot...or be left by way side....shouldnt matter who you are..Perform...or be replaced...cut and dried

I don't disagree.  Just stating what I think is the real reason we haven't seen a switch yet. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

Kola wasn't an incumbent last year though and people felt Eli should be in there.  Eli is also more of a vet on this team than Kola is.

I think in Mike O'Shea's view he was. I believe he started a lot of games the previous year in place of the injured Couture and Couture maybe only played late in the year and the playoffs or something like that. So they very much viewed him as next in line and sort of allowed Couture to move on. 

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Kolas has sucked for a couple seasons now. This isn't a case of a few games. I remember telling noeller last season that I bet kola starts the year but before the end of the season Eli has the job. So this isn't a this year thing.

I would imaging the leash for him would be shorter than the leash for Nuefeld as a result. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

Kolo was...this his 3rd yr now.....got a chance to come to camp after 2 yrs on street and nobody wanting him...Only got in due to injury....and Osh got this steamer for him and rest is history....and we now stuck with him at center like genital warts...

Just now, Booch said:

Kolo was...this his 3rd yr now.....got a chance to come to camp after 2 yrs on street and nobody wanting him...Only got in due to injury....and Osh got this steamer for him and rest is history....and we now stuck with him at center like genital warts...

Nice way to drive a point home. lol

Just now, Colin Unger said:

@DarrinBauming

23m

Sounds like Oliveira (knee) will be a game-time decision for the #Bombers. While he is there and working, he has not participated in practice in two weeks now.

Shouldn't even be in the equation...dress a guy who is ready to go, and usefull....typical Osh....let the dude rest and put Samson in the lineup...whom should have been in there before Hubert....Why dress a guy who may be limited at best...or get things tweaked and sit all game...or risk further injury?....just plain stupid and Osh just Oshin' as usual

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Nice way to drive a point home. lol

I do have my technical writing courses....

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Kola didn't win the starting centre job until week one 2023

Got it cause Eli was injured....tho I believe it was more a case of him being out of football a yr and had to work back to football shape.

I think we dressed Dobson as back-up and that putz who dressed a few games and didnt see the field

Again...poor rostering as we had no real natural center as a backup....and the hits have just kept coming since then

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Kola didn't win the starting centre job until week one 2023

Did he even win it then? Eli started last year on the IR and didn't play until the end of June so again Kola was in there due to injury.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

Did he even win it then? Eli started last year on the IR and didn't play until the end of June so again Kola was in there due to injury.

I think week 4 Eli was back at it...week 5?....none the less...was given the job as we had no other real center available...didnt win or earn anything....

Edited by Booch