Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

The play calls last game too....Like *uck right off. You basically handed the game away on 3 plays. Running with 11 seconds left in the half. Calling a bomb on 2nd and 6 from our 45 with just over 2 minutes left, and blitzing everyone on BC's 2nd and 10 with just under 2 minutes left. Buck and Younger need to collectively pull each-others heads out of each-others asses. Just god awful play calling from start to finish.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

DT saying Murphy playing with 1st team at practice...you guys should have taken my bet!

He's also saying Wheatfall is practicing which is good.

He just said Wheatfall is there, not practicing 

Dare to dream that BA is done at safety 

Our Dline is truly effed if Woods is out too

11 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

The play calls last game too....Like *uck right off. You basically handed the game away on 3 plays. Running with 11 seconds left in the half. Calling a bomb on 2nd and 6 from our 45 with just over 2 minutes left, and blitzing everyone on BC's 2nd and 10 with just under 2 minutes left. Buck and Younger need to collectively pull each-others heads out of each-others asses. Just god awful play calling from start to finish.

Yup, been pretty disenchanted with play calling for awhile.

I don't think Buck is top tier anymore. I think he's in a funk or maybe just reached his ceiling as an OC.

14 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

There's a freak of a Dtackle with plenty of CFL experience out there without a contract... maybe look him up and invite him down for a coffee and a chat.

8 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Yup, been pretty disenchanted with play calling for awhile.

I don't think Buck is top tier anymore. I think he's in a funk or maybe just reached his ceiling as an OC.

There's a freak of a Dtackle with plenty of CFL experience out there without a contract... maybe look him up and invite him down for a coffee and a chat.

there's a Canadian Dlineman too...who can play inside or outside...from Winnipeg too...

29 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

No joke, ba gone and we stay imp at S? Pipe dream but a beautiful one. 

If woods is out we need to play Adam’s inside far more. We have ali Hubert and wj who can all play out side. The best thing with the pieces we have is stay 30 front, rotate the 3 ends play Adam’s largely at nose with a Canadian spelling him. Unfortunately, Jake will take every rep inside. Adam’s likely slides back as forth with schmekel spelling him. 

We really need to dump some guys from the ar and pr then start airlifts. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We are going to clear a TON of cash at game 6, I wonder if and how we will use it. 

DT mentioned on the pre-game show the other day that the cap savings might not be as big as people think.  If a good chunk of their pay was paid out as a bonus, it still counts against the cap so the 6 game savings doesn't end up being all that significant.

Still you would think that with all these guys going down, they'd have some money to play with now.

25 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

DT mentioned on the pre-game show the other day that the cap savings might not be as big as people think.  If a good chunk of their pay was paid out as a bonus, it still counts against the cap so the 6 game savings doesn't end up being all that significant.

Still you would think that with all these guys going down, they'd have some money to play with now.

If Schoen is out for the rest of the season that's $125,000 right there for example.  If Lawler sits the full 6 that'll be like $70,000.

Keep in mind if you signed a guy to play half a season you'd pay $100,000 hard cash for a "$200,000" salary.  Not that there's $200,000 players sitting around.

Like someone said it will likely come in handy more for building the 2025 team.  Maybe you dump a bunch of Collaros salary into 2024, re-sign Schoen.

30 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Save it for restructuring some contracts and move some of this year's money to offset and free up more money next year and go full hog next year.

I thought about that but tbh, many of our big contracts shouldn’t be back any way, and have been restructured any way. Idk if you can keep doing it in the same year. 

28 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

We don’t hand that much out in incentives, here’s the top few guys. 
 Lawson 135/141k, lawyer 135/285, Schoen 125/230, while guys like garbutt, Habba and Parker are base deals. That means we likely save 100-130k on the three guys at 6 games plus 80-100 on the younger base guys which also includes Hallett and Kelly. 
 Then you can pro rate that money for 2/3s of the year as well if some one was available of an impact status. 

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

If Schoen is out for the rest of the season that's $125,000 right there for example.  If Lawler sits the full 6 that'll be like $70,000.

Keep in mind if you signed a guy to play half a season you'd pay $100,000 hard cash for a "$200,000" salary.  Not that there's $200,000 players sitting around.

Like someone said it will likely come in handy more for building the 2025 team.  Maybe you dump a bunch of Collaros salary into 2024, re-sign Schoen.

better off building for the 25' Cup run at home for sure.................although the record (IF we make it) isn't so hot coming out a winner when you play the game in your own digs.....AND besides I don't think I can stand suffering another Cup loss...............................WOW am I ever counting Cups and scenarios before they've hatched

11 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Can you renegotiate deals as many time as you like with in the same year? 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Garbutt hurt, haba hurt, Woods hurt.... Jake Thomas healthy as a horse.

f%*#ing way she goes eh. Sad that the best roster improvement we can hope for right now is guys getting hurt. Really sucks. 

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

3DN has Lawler at a base salary of 115k (would save us roughly 38k over 6 games) and Schoen at a base of 76k for the season.  The rest is signing, housing, travel or non-football bonuses for those guys. Maybe I'm misinterpreting how it works but those bonuses all sound like sunk costs (as they aren't performance related) so they should count against the cap, leaving only the base salary for potential savings.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/09/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-receivers-for-the-2024-season/

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I thought about that but tbh, many of our big contracts shouldn’t be back any way, and have been restructured any way. Idk if you can keep doing it in the same year. 

We don’t hand that much out in incentives, here’s the top few guys. 
 Lawson 135/141k, lawyer 135/285, Schoen 125/230, while guys like garbutt, Habba and Parker are base deals. That means we likely save 100-130k on the three guys at 6 games plus 80-100 on the younger base guys which also includes Hallett and Kelly. 
 Then you can pro rate that money for 2/3s of the year as well if some one was available of an impact status. 

You're right about incentives, Walters does not like using them as you can't accurately plan for them but that's not to say we don't give out other bonuses.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

3DN has Lawler at a base salary of 115k (would save us roughly 38k over 6 games) and Schoen at a base of 76k for the season.  The rest is signing, housing, travel or non-football bonuses for those guys. Maybe I'm misinterpreting how it works but those bonuses all sound like sunk costs (as they aren't performance related) so they should count against the cap, leaving only the base salary for potential savings.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/09/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-receivers-for-the-2024-season/

You're right about incentives, Walters does not like using them as you can't accurately plan for them but that's not to say we don't give out other bonuses.

Walter’s likes to use roster bonuses more than performance based, and loves to use bonus space to reduce cap hits. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

No joke, ba gone and we stay imp at S? Pipe dream but a beautiful one. 

If woods is out we need to play Adam’s inside far more. We have ali Hubert and wj who can all play out side. The best thing with the pieces we have is stay 30 front, rotate the 3 ends play Adam’s largely at nose with a Canadian spelling him. Unfortunately, Jake will take every rep inside. Adam’s likely slides back as forth with schmekel spelling him. 

We really need to dump some guys from the ar and pr then start airlifts. 

That 30 front didn't ******* work!

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

O’Shea mentioned re: Alston today that he got hurt at the end of camp otherwise “tough decisions would’ve needed to be made”

Am I out to lunch or was he not the first receiver we cut? 

He was one of the first for sure 

deleted from roster 5 15 24 so may 15.  Maybe not the first but definitely not in the last cuts. 

Edited by Goalie

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

O’Shea mentioned re: Alston today that he got hurt at the end of camp otherwise “tough decisions would’ve needed to be made”

Am I out to lunch or was he not the first receiver we cut? 

He was the first receiver gone once main camp started (a couple got cut after rookie camp) so Alston was gone early.