Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

55 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

We need a rush end.  We have plenty of interior guys, both nationalities.  We need another edge guy.  Fayad looks decent, but need to get Jefferson off the field more as well as compliment him if he's going to be useful at all.

AC Leonard comes with a free pee cup with a hole in the bottom.

8 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Save it for restructuring some contracts and move some of this year's money to offset and free up more money next year and go full hog next year.

Hey settle down, like @Atomic said, 15-3 is still on the table.

I believe in these guys, stay the course, we’ll work thru this, this is a different team, we just need to be patient, believe in ourselves, cut out outside noise. Grind, work hard, work smart.

Channeling my best MOS vibe.

14 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Next man up. They're all starters. Trying to go 1-0 this week.

so....status quo even tho 0-3...looking like dog crap...and using some less than optimal players...okie dokie

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Next man up. They're all starters. Trying to go 1-0 this week.

He also defended Thomas's age by pointing out that Bryant is good.

I wish people would ask questions that might give even the slightest chance of O'Shea revealing something, even small. Instead of "do you think Thomas is too old" ask "are you happy with the push you are getting from the interior of the D-line". He will probably say "yes", but it at least leaves an opening to answer a question without him needing to crap on a player.

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I wish people would ask questions that might give even the slightest chance of O'Shea revealing something, even small. Instead of "do you think Thomas is too old" ask "are you happy with the push you are getting from the interior of the D-line". He will probably say "yes", but it at least leaves an opening to answer a question without him needing to crap on a player.

Actually I'd take that a step further.

In you and the coaching staff reviewing game tape from the past three losses, can you break it down for us in what you're seeing from Thomas and others on the Dline that maybe some of us can't see?

16 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

forgetting to mention...4 time MOL....Should have been 5 but was robbed...elite player....multiple all-stars....

Jake has?....... and thats just the poorest, most pathetic retort.....And shows we will be stuck with him gettiing major reps unless he gets hurt....or Walter's doesnt sign him...and thats just pathetic...and we have 3..4 guys on our roster who fall in the same boat...and why we been handicapped and neutered for last several yrs...and will be again this yr

19 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

And to me it's like, surely Jake won't be here next year. Or Biggie? Start developing guys for the Grey Cup run. If this season is a write off, so be it, but don't waste it on guys who can't help us win at home please.

Thats exactly it...work the transition now....so they already established so to speak next yr...Same with Eli at center...Gys like Jake..BA...Kola...Biggie..Wilson...actually getting a true impact SAM in place now.....aren't our future...christ they not our now....we just ensuring right now that next yr..come camp..we are basically starting from scratch...trying to find the answer then...the time is now....and thats where we have been failing since 2022...no succession plan anywhere....and no actual attempt to really develop anyone...and the few guys we kind of did..Fox...Cole...Garbutt....all should have been in heavy rotation last yr already if not the actual starter

I don’t think mos will pull the ripcord, I think it’ll have to come from above him. 
 I think the point Walter’s and co will have their hand forced is in the next 3 games if we win less than 2. That will see attendance plummet, and us put in a position where we need to win out to control our destiny. The two game series with bc followed by a couple weeks later is hard not to split at the best of times. 

The rip cord should include getting rid of guys like Thomas biggie neuf kola and ba. And any under whelming rookies like Wilson, for air lifts. 

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

guys, Jake has at least 8 years left

Tom Brady is good 

How old was bob cameron when he retired? 48? Jake’s still young! 

Why would O’Shea knowingly hand cuff the team. Why would he sign an extension if his intent is to destroy what he helped create. 

Arrogant? Isn’t arrogant kinda pretending this is all on O’Shea when it’s not  but but but he has say but reality he’s not the guy signing guys to new deals  I don’t GAF if he says sign him he’s a good vet, if Kyle and to a lesser extent , miller agrees then the problem is actually 3 headed  

blaming O’Shea for everything is stupid also when it’s apparent it’s not just him  

Just now, 17to85 said:

The coaches build the game day roster, the coaches decide who is on the field... how is this not a coaching issue? 

Exactly. There was nothing wrong with signing Jake Thomas, he’s still a productive-ish player on a limited snap count. But when he plays 90% of the defensive snaps, that’s the coaching staff.

There’s nothing wrong with bringing in Kyrie Wilson to compete for a spot. There’s nothing wrong with bringing in Brandon Alexander to compete for a spot. But when they don’t actually have to compete in training camp and earn their spots, that’s the coaching staff.

There’s nothing wrong with signing Eric Lofton to be a veteran presence to provide stability if he is the best option. But when he gets handed the spot from day one and hasn’t proven to be all that good? Coaching staff is who looks at that.

I don’t love the choices Walters made this off-season with who to keep and who to let go (I would’ve absolutely kept Bailey and Grant over Wilson and BA, personally - and I would’ve obviously moved on from Bighill), there’s nothing flawed about not completely blowing up your veteran presence all at once. But the way we are managing it now? Not good

Pathetic decisions being made is usually the hallmark of an also ran and the destination is the basement....IF Miller can't see that now.....even with all of the injuries being considerded....then Miller himself must have the rose-ist outlook I have ever encountered....IF Cal. blows us out next game the writing on the wall will become neon bright

Edited by Stickem

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Why would O’Shea knowingly hand cuff the team. Why would he sign an extension if his intent is to destroy what he helped create. 

Arrogant? Isn’t arrogant kinda pretending this is all on O’Shea when it’s not  but but but he has say but reality he’s not the guy signing guys to new deals  I don’t GAF if he says sign him he’s a good vet, if Kyle and to a lesser extent , miller agrees then the problem is actually 3 headed  

blaming O’Shea for everything is stupid also when it’s apparent it’s not just him  

He isn't doing it on purpose, he has bought into his own propaganda. 

No one is saying its 100% mos. Even the most critical on here are saying that walters and wade need to deal with this. That said, the talent was there. Walters has been pruning Mos boys club the last two off seasons. To an extent, you want the new guys to win spots from the old guys in camp. That brings a ton of value, vs cutting guys and having rookies battle rookies for the spot. We had all the talent at every position save punter to fix our issues. 

The huge majority of the problem, is mos. Because it isn't just roster problems, our coaching is poor, our team plays flat as hell, and our prep is poor. Many factors out side of the roster are hurting us, and those all fall on mos. The roster isnt calling plays that don't work for the squad we field. The roster, isnt having us kill clock before we get what we need from the drive. The roster isn't having us not run the ball in the red zone. The roster isn't why this team feel comfortable losing. The roster isn't why we can't adjust in game, or to what teams have been doing to counter us since last year. 

There's a huge issue with next man up/roles being defined by seniority for sure. 

There's a bigger issue with evaluation.  Hard to tell if if it's personnel, coaching or both.  It's not like our cuts are going onto other teams or even other leagues and lighting it up.  The receiver competition this season was demoralizing.  Like we have 20 guys in camp and the best you break camp with are Wilson and Mitchell?  Then you see guys on BC, Hamilton, Montreal, Calgary tearing it up.

There's also the issue of evaluating our own guys.  Like how did they watch Alexander last year and think that's a guy to bring back as opposed to a rookie DB using that little bit of extra money on say Grant instead of a rookie returner?  Grant is definitely losing a step but it's also a step down from being arguably the greatest CFL returner of all time, still a good player and still far better, more reliable than anyone else we've seen in the role the past two seasons.

Bighill has basically been trash for two full seasons.  Could use that money to chase after CFL free agents in their prime while we are a prime, winning destination. 

To be fair, I'm not seeing any rookie WR tearing it up in those teams. The guys they are leaning on have been on their team/in the CFL.

BC just cut their "rookie" wide out.

I also didn't mind moving on from Bailey and Grant. Grant hurts a bit more, but watching him in TO...he's been ok. Bailey hasn't done much of anything given his bigger role and for what he did here...that's a rookie spot all day.

BA/Thomas/Kolo/Rose where the guys I wanted to move on from all together, and I would have kept Biggie on the 6 game for the entire time to see what we have there as an audition for next year. Ideally splitting time throughout the year assuming a new LB stepped up.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

To be fair, I'm not seeing any rookie WR tearing it up in those teams. The guys they are leaning on have been on their team/in the CFL.

BLM's top target is Shemar Bridges.  CFL rookie.

BC has got some big plays and first down catches from 3 CFL rookies.  One of whom they've cut with guys coming back off injured list.

Calgary looks to have a solid SB in Echols.

Als have receivers coming out the wazoo.

We have a guy out there who yes went to Florida State, but looks like he's going to trip on his **** every snap.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

BLM's top target is Shemar Bridges.  CFL rookie.

BC has got some big plays and first down catches from 3 CFL rookies.  One of whom they've cut with guys coming back off injured list.

Calgary looks to have a solid SB in Echols.

Als have receivers coming out the wazoo.

We have a guy out there who yes went to Florida State, but looks like he's going to trip on his **** every snap.

Bridges sure...but that's what happens with White. He's going to draw coverage. we'll see how that rec core plays out over time. BC is still leaning on their vets more than anything else. CGY as well. 

Wheatfall looked like the real deal. Expecting more than 1 wr rookie to stand out is asking too much imo. Would be nice, but it would 100% be the exception and not a rule.