Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

I doubt it has anything to do with his availability, he broke his arm. At least he’s keeping in shape.

Yup. I will say though it looks like he has a softer cast on now too. 

He is on the Bomber podcast later today, people can check it out.

11 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Could be Feltmate, listed as #36, may have changed numbers.

He is still 36.

39 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That isn't the case with Zach. Last year he had 6 guys between 38-71 catchest. The difference in catches, despite lawlers missed games, among the top 3 was just 21 catches. The difference in the bottom 3 was 9 catches. We had a 4 way tie for 2nd place in receiving Tds with 6. Top 3 guys between 900 and 1200 yards, bottom 3 between 668 and 482. That is not relying on one or two guys to do all the work.  Even the guys below the top 6 all had big games, agudosi, bolo, gmc. 

It was certainly the case last game, completely ignored 2 of his receivers until Schoen went down, after which Wilson received 4 attempts, Wheatfall and whoever replaced him received zero looks.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

It was certainly the case last game, completely ignored 2 of his receivers until Schoen went down, after which Wilson received 4 attempts, Wheatfall and whoever replaced him received zero looks.

It isn't though, nor is it that simple. Nik and woli played exceptionally well, and we ran the ball 25 times, which is more than we've completed passes all year long. it's 10 more runs than completed passes we had in ott. Of the 17 attempts to woli and demski only 2 went incomplete, meanwhile they averaged about 11 yards per catch, would you prefer those passes go to wilson? 

Our offence hasn't been staying on the field, we are averaging less than 20 completions a game. Yet Lawler has as many catches as wheatfall, brady, augustine, and 1 less than wilson. Wilson, has the 4th most catches on the team in the same proportion you saw in previous years for the bottom 3 wrs, 2 of which are generally checks across the field. FInally, the catch rate of the top 3 wrs here is almost 68%, zachs completion % on the year is 61%, wilsons catch rate is 50%. Wilsons is averaging 5.4 yards per catch.  

Wheatfall was replaced by strevy, who did get a target, and clercius who took over woli's job of chipping and blocking, which meant more targets for woli down field. It isn't a suprise, that when you have 3 of your best wrs on the year go down that you suffer at wr. especially when you don't have a lot of roster depth at wr. 

Zach isn't doing a good job of checking down, but our passing schemes, like dagger concept, will have 3 ish targets in the line of site of the primary ready. Zach reads the down field back. They do a good job of mixing different spots through those concepts to keep the ball spread amongst targets. This is part of why wheatfall had such a great game. He was working down field a couple times, coming back to the ball and separating. This is exactly why lawler demski and schoen have worked great with zach from day 1 as well.

I've seen zach miss open guys off the primary read area, but not once has that guy been wilson or Mitchell. Mitchell has seen few reps in the O compared to wilson. 

2 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

Alexander getting a day off as reward for terribly play?

Eli not practicing is really disappointing.  Makes it even less likely O’Shea finally realizes he needs to be starting over Kola.  Anyone know what the deal is?

Could be vet day for Eli, seems like we are rotating guys through it right now. 

I have a feeling we will see a lot more of burnt alexander, until after the first 1/3rd is over any way.  

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

I have a feeling we will see a lot more of burnt alexander, until after the first 1/3rd is over any way.  

Hope you’re right about Eli.  I still don’t see him getting the start, but I would LOVE to be wrong.

‘Burnt Alexander’ made me chuckle.  I’m a Steelers fan and back in the early 2000’s, they had a safety named Brent Alexander…. Guess what his nickname was?

35 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

Hope you’re right about Eli.  I still don’t see him getting the start, but I would LOVE to be wrong.

‘Burnt Alexander’ made me chuckle.  I’m a Steelers fan and back in the early 2000’s, they had a safety named Brent Alexander…. Guess what his nickname was?

Same here, trying to be optimistic about his health. But yeah it’s gonna take some thing big to get the change made unfortunately. 

Haha! That’s awesome. I followed them casually for a while, I was a big fan of Chris fumatu-maafala, the bus, ward(he was my kind if dirty especially for a wr) polamalu, and the way they approach head coaches. The pats are the modern model of success following in the 9ers mold but the Steelers are a model of consistency and character for a front office. 

10 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

How has Ford looked since he got back?

We’ve struggled with assignments on that side. Don’t switch well etc. we’ve also been using karamoko as a dime on that side on second downs and he’s been real bad, ba as well. With ford you can see the potential, needs a good bit of polishing still. Not worried about him in specific, and happy that it looks like karamoko is coming off the ar. Ba is the big concern in the secondary rn. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

It isn't though, nor is it that simple. Nik and woli played exceptionally well, and we ran the ball 25 times, which is more than we've completed passes all year long. it's 10 more runs than completed passes we had in ott. Of the 17 attempts to woli and demski only 2 went incomplete, meanwhile they averaged about 11 yards per catch, would you prefer those passes go to wilson? 

Our offence hasn't been staying on the field, we are averaging less than 20 completions a game. Yet Lawler has as many catches as wheatfall, brady, augustine, and 1 less than wilson. Wilson, has the 4th most catches on the team in the same proportion you saw in previous years for the bottom 3 wrs, 2 of which are generally checks across the field. FInally, the catch rate of the top 3 wrs here is almost 68%, zachs completion % on the year is 61%, wilsons catch rate is 50%. Wilsons is averaging 5.4 yards per catch.  

Wheatfall was replaced by strevy, who did get a target, and clercius who took over woli's job of chipping and blocking, which meant more targets for woli down field. It isn't a suprise, that when you have 3 of your best wrs on the year go down that you suffer at wr. especially when you don't have a lot of roster depth at wr. 

Zach isn't doing a good job of checking down, but our passing schemes, like dagger concept, will have 3 ish targets in the line of site of the primary ready. Zach reads the down field back. They do a good job of mixing different spots through those concepts to keep the ball spread amongst targets. This is part of why wheatfall had such a great game. He was working down field a couple times, coming back to the ball and separating. This is exactly why lawler demski and schoen have worked great with zach from day 1 as well.

I've seen zach miss open guys off the primary read area, but not once has that guy been wilson or Mitchell. Mitchell has seen few reps in the O compared to wilson. 

Maybe BA should get more days off, especially game days.

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

It looks like Jeremy Murphy is head of Kevens Clercius for this week's game. It sort of begs the question of why Clercius is the one on the roster for previous games over Murphy if Murphy is the guy who's going to get the start this week.

Special teams and role on offense.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

We’ve struggled with assignments on that side. Don’t switch well etc. we’ve also been using karamoko as a dime on that side on second downs and he’s been real bad, ba as well. With ford you can see the potential, needs a good bit of polishing still. Not worried about him in specific, and happy that it looks like karamoko is coming off the ar. Ba is the big concern in the secondary rn. 

Anytime you see Holm in high gear chasing down some receiver with a 5 yd. lead you have to wonder if Ford interpreted his assignment correctly.