Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

who is 

68 Vanterpool, Micah

I know he's on our practice roster as our backup right tackle…

I know there is a couple of tackles I really liked in the preseason but I lost track of it all in the final cut down

swapping tackles with Regina was a definite downgrade… Lawton was the appointed one from his arrival… As they say on the Old Spice commercial, do you really think no one would notice?

That looks like one of the weakest spots on our line and even I can see that's where too many of our plays break down. If we we are developing a rookie yank with some upside I might not mind as much…

The offensive line is not just a modular plug-and-play… One isn't just like another; maybe we needed to move Grey there unless he just under no circumstances wanted to play for the Blue anymore at any price

maybe we are thinking our line coaching will override any lack of talent on Lawton (the riders didn't think so)

if Vanterpool is the only import offensive lineman we have on hand, is there any developmental plan for him?

The spring league is over; there might be a few highly qualified individuals for right tackle ready now for  up here

I miss you-know-who's contribution on running plays to the right side

Edited by BigBlue

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Anytime you see Holm in high gear chasing down some receiver with a 5 yd. lead you have to wonder if Ford interpreted his assignment correctly.

No doubt that whole side is a mess. That said, holm hasn’t looked good this year either. Ba hasn’t shown any leadership in sorting it out either. 

19 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

who is 

68 Vanterpool, Micah

I know there is a couple of tackles I really liked in the preseason but I lost track of it all in the final cut down

swapping tackles with Regina was a definite downgrade… Lawton was the appointed one from his arrival… As they say on the Old Spice commercial, do you really think no one would notice?

That looks like one of the weakest spots on our line and even I can see that's where too many of our plays break down. If we we are developing a rookie yank with some upside I might not mind as much…

The offensive line is not just a modular plug-and-play… One isn't just like another; maybe we needed to move Grey there unless he just under no circumstances wanted to play for the Blue anymore at any price

maybe we are thinking our line coaching will override any lack of talent on Lawton (the riders didn't think so)

if Vanterpool is the only import offensive lineman we have on hand, is there any developmental plan for him?

The spring league is over; there might be a few highly qualified individuals for right tackle ready now for  up here

We also have kendall Randolph imp ol on the pr. Both are guards that we are trying to convert to RT. Neither is particularly close right now, Vanterpool was prolific in college with an incredible streak not giving up a sack or taking a penalty. He has great size, length and athleticism.  
 Lofton is the same, a good college guard that has been stuck at RT up here. He plays like it too. But he’s 30-31, where as the other two are 25 ish. 
 I don’t think hardrick would be better in pass pro, and no way would I pay him what ssk gave him. But he would be better in run pro. 

Tbh we should be able to find an imp RT who would be turn key from down south, likely after nfl cuts. I don’t expect we will though because they penned lofton In as starter the moment they signed him. 

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

who is 

68 Vanterpool, Micah

nevermind @wbbfan posted the same thing as me with better details 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

9 hours ago, wbbfan said:

No doubt that whole side is a mess. That said, holm hasn’t looked good this year either. Ba hasn’t shown any leadership in sorting it out either. 

Holm has missed his assignments a ton this yr as well.....He looks to have regressed a bit.....Ford has gotten better each game....and has all the athletic tools....just needs the reps...you dont progress and get better in practice

29 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lofton struggled early, but I thought last game he played well.

I'm 100% ready for Holm to be a CFL safety. That spot doesn't have to be the heavy hitting guy it used to be, in todays game. Alexander just doesn't seem to have the speed to play any other way now unfortunately.

not only that... when is the last time BA actually tackled a guy... and not just lowered his shoulder only to have the opponent bounce off him and continue on. 

The data from Pro Football Focus seems to backup the sentiment about Loften. Despite giving up that sack on the first passing play of the game he was out top ranked offensive lineman last week. We don't know his actual grade but he was the only one not to make the list of lineman with failing grades among our starters. In limited action Tui was elite!

Highlighted in red are the lineman who have a season average below 60 which is a failing grade. This pretty much all lines up with the general evaluation from those of us on the message board. 

8. WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS (NO CHANGE)

LT Stanley Bryant
LG Liam Dobson
C Chris Kolankowski
RG Patrick Neufeld

RT Eric Lofton

• Despite teams' struggles above them, the Blue Bombers failed to climb the rankings. Four of their five starters failed to make a positive impact last week, with Bryant (58.5), Dobson (57.5), Kolankowski (55.0) and Neufeld (53.8) posting sub-59.0 PFF overall grades.

• The Bombers' top-performing offensive lineman was sixth man Asotui Eli. He played 19 snaps last week, earning an 88.1 overall grade and an 81.7 run-blocking grade.

Edited by Colin Unger

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Lofton struggled early, but I thought last game he played well.

I'm 100% ready for Holm to be a CFL safety. That spot doesn't have to be the heavy hitting guy it used to be, in todays game. Alexander just doesn't seem to have the speed to play any other way now unfortunately.

He hasn't been seeing the same look, teams haven't adjusted to him yet. He can stand up to a bull rush well. He cant do much other than hold in in run pro. 

same. His quickness would be big. Idk if he has the eyes or mind for it, but we won't know till we try and BA is done, cant be worse than him. 

39 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The data from Pro Football Focus seems to backup the sentiment about Loften. Despite giving up that sack on the first passing play of the game he was out top ranked offensive lineman last week. We don't know his actual grade but he was the only one not to make the list of lineman with failing grades among our starters. In limited action Tui was elite!

Highlighted in red are the lineman who have a season average below 60 which is a failing grade. This pretty much all lines up with the general evaluation from those of us on the message board. 

8. WINNIPEG BLUE BOMBERS (NO CHANGE)

LT Stanley Bryant
LG Liam Dobson
C Chris Kolankowski
RG Patrick Neufeld

RT Eric Lofton

• Despite teams' struggles above them, the Blue Bombers failed to climb the rankings. Four of their five starters failed to make a positive impact last week, with Bryant (58.5), Dobson (57.5), Kolankowski (55.0) and Neufeld (53.8) posting sub-59.0 PFF overall grades.

• The Bombers' top-performing offensive lineman was sixth man Asotui Eli. He played 19 snaps last week, earning an 88.1 overall grade and an 81.7 run-blocking grade.

Yeah that all pretty much tracks. Too many holes to fill right now. Problems are Kola>>>>Neuf>>>>Lofton. With a better guard beside him lofton might perform better. 

18 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is Eli's contrct up after this season? Expect him to leave if it is. There seems to be a pattern here. If you're not one of Mike's guys then you don't play much. 

He signed a 3 year deal going into the 23 season, so he's still under contract for a bit. 

This idea that because kola stepped in and was OK as an emergency injury replacement so therefore he should keep the starting job is without a doubt the single biggest roster issue O'Shea has. Like before the vaccine stuff Eli was ahead of gray on the depth chart. You're telling me he's worse than that now?  No ******* way. Guy is a road grader every time he comes in so why the **** are we using a weakling centre?

Our eyes see concern, the posters with more intimate OL knowledge have ...well some...not naming names.....er.... "Booch" ....😎has voiced concern over and over....and over......, the commentators on TSN voiced concern, Walby voiced some concern, and PFF grades them poorly. 

It seems every metric has come to the conclusion that we have not been good enough along the O-line.....Would Eli single handedly improve it...does he have a nagging injury? 

All indications are we are running status Quo regarding the o-line again this week, IF we lose and fall to 0-4 and the o-line play doesn't start looking better.... we have to look at the person-ell, we keep trotting out.....everyones eyes and PFF grading can't all be wrong can they....

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think Neuf would be better if he had only 1 problematic guy next to him.

No doubt, but his mobility on fresh legs is scary bad. He should be captaining that side and he just isn’t. 
 I think at best you hide one ol. It’s harder when it’s a tackle but you can do it. We have the guys to fix c and rg we don’t at Rt imo. 

I’ll add that with that change our next issue would be 6th ol and heavy set. Kola can’t be the edge guy. Double switching eli to edge and kola to C is a bad idea and risks snap issues. 
 Personally I’d look for an ni ol for the bench, and work with schmekel and hubert on the goal line package. 

Edited by wbbfan

27 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Our eyes see concern, the posters with more intimate OL knowledge have ...well some...not naming names.....er.... "Booch" ....😎has voiced concern over and over....and over......, the commentators on TSN voiced concern, Walby voiced some concern, and PFF grades them poorly. 

It seems every metric has come to the conclusion that we have not been good enough along the O-line.....Would Eli single handedly improve it...does he have a nagging injury? 

All indications are we are running status Quo regarding the o-line again this week, IF we lose and fall to 0-4 and the o-line play doesn't start looking better.... we have to look at the person-ell, we keep trotting out.....everyones eyes and PFF grading can't all be wrong can they....

Eli would be the biggest upgrade, since Wallace is raw and eli can help neuf. Also, few dts will want to play 20-30 snaps in 0 tech when facing eli. So we would see more friendly alignments as well. However, as the guy who is frequently not head up on a dt neuf has been brutal. Which is the easier role. 

My biggest concern with just swapping C is how much worse neuf will likely get. He fights injuries ever year and continues to play but is significantly reduced by late season. Right now he’s as fresh as can be and still immobile and struggling a lot. The question isn’t if with neuf now it’s when. And it will be sooner rather than later. 

It could be advantageous to make the one switch, work Wallace in more reps with the heavy set, then start Wallace in a few weeks while neuf goes to 6th ol. A lot of change in a short period is hard for the ol.