Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Have you really forgotten who Zach is and his history with concussions?  Intentionally running the ball should never be in the game plan, in fact he should be fined every time he does so.

For sure, I just thought it would be easy for the dline to scheme against Zach as they just need to pin their ears back and go get him in the pocket.

I do wanna see Zach roll out of the pocket more than he does though.

7 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Dave Naylor said Dalton Schoen is out for the season with a knee injury… brutal.

Did Schoen get a lot of reps in training camp? I know he never played much in the pre season. I mean, either we believe in bad luck or all these injuries comes down to prepping the players & coaching.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did Schoen get a lot of reps in training camp? I know he never played much in the pre season. I mean, either we believe in bad luck or all these injuries comes down to prepping the players & coaching.

Non contact injury would be really hard to blame on lack on training camp reps.

33 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I never saw the game so no idea how he got hurt. Still. so many injuries it has to fall on the Head Coach at some point unless they're all non contact injuries. I did see Haba go down & it looked like no one touched him. So, who knows??? This isn't normal.

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never saw the game so no idea how he got hurt. Still. so many injuries it has to fall on the Head Coach at some point unless they're all non contact injuries. I did see Haba go down & it looked like no one touched him. So, who knows??? This isn't normal.

Haba non contact

Wheatfall non contact

Schoen non contact.

Lawler, that was contact, but that's football.

Injuries in football are 100% normal. 

42 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/27/cfl-to-host-supplemental-draft-for-giant-north-dakota-state-rec-zach-mathis/

this should be interesting. Given our injuries at wr I’d probably say bid a 3rd rounder on him. Maybe a 2nd if you really like him. 

Bombers are in desperate need of a starting, dominant receiver and here he is, Kismet.

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Bombers are in desperate need of a starting, dominant receiver and here he is, Kismet.

I think you might be over exaggerating things plus I doubt this guy would be that dominate. I think it’s funny that prior to this article nobody except prob a few had any clue he existed now he’s some dominant future stud receiver. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/27/cfl-to-host-supplemental-draft-for-giant-north-dakota-state-rec-zach-mathis/

this should be interesting. Given our injuries at wr I’d probably say bid a 3rd rounder on him. Maybe a 2nd if you really like him. 

Watched this guy his whole career at NDSU.  He's good enough to get a legit shot as an American player.  Easy 1st round pick.  Mardner was 2nd overall in a great draft.  Very comparable.  Top receiver on a run heavy team at NDSU, weak QB in 2022 who got better in 2023 (QB likely to be CFL prospect too, Cam Miller still at NDSU).  Guy that was used lots downfield, screens, intermediate, full route tree.

I'd expect there'd be half the league or more bidding their 1st rounder.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wouldn't be worried with overall fitness of most of these guys whether they got "reps" or not and certainly not Schoen, but your statement makes no sense to me.

Say a receiver showed up 40 pounds overweight and they put him on the field.  That guy is far more likely to have his knee or achilles blow up.  Happens to us out of shape middle aged people all the time when we try to be athletic again.

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I wouldn't be worried with overall fitness of most of these guys whether they got "reps" or not and certainly not Schoen, but your statement makes no sense to me.

Say a receiver showed up 40 pounds overweight and they put him on the field.  That guy is far more likely to have his knee or achilles blow up.  Happens to us out of shape middle aged people all the time when we try to be athletic again.

Happens to us mid 30s guys also. Was a big fan of running but then stopped for 10 years, tried doing it again and first time, sprained my ankle badly. Partially my fault and the cities fault for not fixing potholes but still. Definitely get injured easier now than age 20 even 25.  I’m lucky I’ve never broken anything but I did injure my acl playing hockey years ago and I still feel it a bit today. I think it’s more mental tho there. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Watched this guy his whole career at NDSU.  He's good enough to get a legit shot as an American player.  Easy 1st round pick.  Mardner was 2nd overall in a great draft.  Very comparable.  Top receiver on a run heavy team at NDSU, weak QB in 2022 who got better in 2023 (QB likely to be CFL prospect too, Cam Miller still at NDSU).  Guy that was used lots downfield, screens, intermediate, full route tree.

I don’t have this depth of knowledge about him but I too have heard of him and seen him play and I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes for a first 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Perhaps you could make the argument that the new turf has played a role. I think if they all happened at PA stadium you certainly can. 

Was wondering that as well, heard the field was still pretty bouncy and had a lot of give, it's a crazy idea but may be there is some correlation to the injuries.  3-4 years ago the Riders also had an outbreak of leg injuries at the start of TC, could be they were turf related?

7 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

For sure, I just thought it would be easy for the dline to scheme against Zach as they just need to pin their ears back and go get him in the pocket.

I do wanna see Zach roll out of the pocket more than he does though.

You're not incorrect, Fajardo and Adams have both demonstrated the benefits of being able to run when necessary, even MBT is getting in on the act.

Edited by Fatty Liver

8 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Haba non contact

Wheatfall non contact

Schoen non contact.

Lawler, that was contact, but that's football.

Injuries in football are 100% normal. 

Football injuries are normal. But a run like this?? When the Riders suffered 9 torn achilles injuries four years ago in a pre season workout was that normal? 

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Sucks for us then lol. 

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Happens to us mid 30s guys also. Was a big fan of running but then stopped for 10 years, tried doing it again and first time, sprained my ankle badly. Partially my fault and the cities fault for not fixing potholes but still. Definitely get injured easier now than age 20 even 25.  I’m lucky I’ve never broken anything but I did injure my acl playing hockey years ago and I still feel it a bit today. I think it’s more mental tho there. 

mid 30s are pretty close to middle aged sadly enough. 
lol I messed up my calf being that guy. Still no regrets.  

9 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Well... that is a lot of adversity in the early goings for our team... Going to be a long 8 weeks... It how we finish that ultimately matters...

w0ikrpvkjc241.gif

c88cd721-2ca5-446c-b0bb-bc616458302c_tex

This also works for the middle aged athletics discussion 

4.58 40 which is more than enough for up here 36.5” vert 7.14 3 cone 4.51 shuttle 9’11 broad. You’d ideally like to see a bit more jump but with that frame and a wing span to match and what looks like tremendous ability to catch in tight spaces this guy should be a gooder. I could see Zach loving that guy, and if you play him out of the slot good luck defending him. 

Compare his numbers to clercius  6’7 203 to 6’2 217. 4.59 34” 10’9 7.28 4.57. Aside from clercius bring strong for his build/wr with 15 reps and the broad numbers they are very close. 
 The outlier of the draft, mci put up 4.51 35.5” 10’2 6.71 4.19. 

9 hours ago, Goalie said:

why you running thru potholes??...lol....jk

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Sucks for us then lol. 

mid 30s are pretty close to middle aged sadly enough. 
lol I messed up my calf being that guy. Still no regrets.  

This also works for the middle aged athletics discussion 

I actually probably train more...and harde now than when I played...which seems odd....but muscle is the longevity of life...and functional movement

I guess from having 2 total knee reconstructions...8 operations on 1 knee...2 on other...Total shoulder dislocation...2 broken hands....Brokene fore arm...multipe hammy pulls...2 fingers that wont totaly straighten...laceration of rib cage....who knows how many concussions....and lost about 3/4" in height....Continual training enables me to function hahaha...Mama's don't let yer babies grow up to be Football players