Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/04/3downnations-2024-cfl-season-predictions-m-o-p-grey-cup-more/

Not a single writer on here picking the Bombers to win the west.
Besides having the GC game at home, what am I missing about BC improving enough to get over the hump?
Their roster is equal or lesser than last year. All the 3dn hot takers picking them because “they’re due” lol great analysis guys. 

11 hours ago, Goalie said:

Does Zach restructuring maybe mean a move is coming like a Mason Bennett and Coleman being released means you can drop a DL to the PR. Samson is likely. 

who is Griffin tho. The DB. Did he play in any pre season games. Didn’t hear **** about him. 

bonds and bridges seem like finds tho. Gemmel also. Adams looks like a stud. So 2 dbs a lb and a DL. 

Not bad. Think I counted about 15 guys not on the team last year. Including draft picks and T ford.  That’s a bit of change.

I suspect the restructure was on the table for a while if we needed it. I think we likely took it because we will be air lifting KR, pr qbs, possibly dbs, wrs, and maybe delving into cut canadians. A bunch of roster questions haven't been firmly answered yet. I don't think any pick up will happen this week though. Its just flexibility to make some going forward.

We have a lot of roster shuffling to do for the game this week. I think Coleman was a fringe PR guy and we probably are going to have a guy healthy that was questionable.  

Griffin is a big modern Sam type body who started a handfull of games for the stamps last year and played 13 games with em. We picked him up like 2-3 weeks ago. He dressed for the last pre season game, and played late in the game. But with the angles being such trash it's not possible to really judge how he did. 

9 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I don't mind us keeping DBs we never heard of in preseason. When ppl know a new DBs name well it can sometimes be a bad thing. 

Hardly heard Nichols name all year last year..no one threw his way.

Yeah, we need those kinds of guys. Not Houstons. 

36 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/04/3downnations-2024-cfl-season-predictions-m-o-p-grey-cup-more/

Besides having the GC game at home, what am I missing about BC improving enough to get over the hump?
Their roster is equal or lesser than last year. All the 3dn hot takers picking them because “they’re due” lol great analysis guys. 

There's a ton of shitty takes in there.  Saskatchewan getting to/winning the Grey Cup is near the top of the list.  I think Mace is good for them but he's not taking the from missing the playoffs to running over the league in an off-season.  There's a reason why the bookmakers have them as an underdog to start the season against the L's of all teams.

Micah Awe as MODP because he had an "all-time great season" last year is also a terrible pick.  I didn't realize leading the league in fines made someone a great player?

53 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I've been saying I don't get the BC hype all off season. I've asked multiple people to explain how they've gotten better....crickets. Adams had great WR last year and I don't see that same lineup. Their D has lost many key pieces. I just don't understand.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've been saying I don't get the BC hype all off season. I've asked multiple people to explain how they've gotten better....crickets. Adams had great WR last year and I don't see that same lineup. Their D has lost many key pieces. I just don't understand.

Abbott evens admits this in a separate article.  Missing a bunch of key players on both sides of the ball and I don't buy that they'll end up changing their philosophy a ton because they have Stanback.  If it turns out that last year wasn't a fluke and he's washed, what then?  Back to the 90% aerial attack with lesser players?

https://3downnation.com/2024/06/03/over-or-under-b-c-lions-rife-with-questions-despite-heavy-2024-win-projection/

7 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's too bad 3Down has lost the insider kind of edge it started with.  At least 7 of the 9 people making those predictions contribute nothing journalistically.  Abbott fawns over BC and Hodge's basic knowledge of the sport is lacking.

I don't mind them for contract info and that sort of thing but yeah anything opinion-based is not great to say the least.

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think BC is a weaker squad than last yr...I don't get the hype either

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

They hate us cause they ain't us.

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think BC is a weaker squad than last yr...I don't get the hype either

Our squad is weaker too & another year older. 

Gotta say that BC reminds me of the Bombers when Edmonton was the best team in the league. 2nd best losing in the western final year after year. 

As for why they are being chosen to win the cup this year... It would make for a great story to finally get over the hump and win at home & writers love a good story. 

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Gotta say that BC reminds me of the Bombers when Edmonton was the best team in the league. 2nd best losing in the western final year after year. 

As for why they are being chosen to win the cup this year... It would make for a great story to finally get over the hump and win at home & writers love a good story. 

They already won at home. They don't get to do it again!!!! Lol

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

IMO BC's Canadian depth on D and OL is worse than ours minus Betts.

They need a lot from Bemiy, Cherry, Hladik, Beaulieu, Greene.  And they are hoping Covington isn't cooked.

We need to stay healthy though.

Yes please.

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

They hate us cause they ain't us.

Yup we've been to the GC last four years in a row.

Haters extremely tired of us.

Everyone outside of our community is hoping for a different result.

I get it, I know this aint going to last but sure am going to enjoy everything in the moment. 

5 GC appearances in a row has a nice ring to it.

Three Grey Cup wins in five consecutive GC appearances has a better ring to it.

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think we are stronger at DL...QB....Reciever....jury out on the Oline until I see 2 games with whom they choose to roll with... DB not concerned...I think we may be better.....not concerned with age...the ne aging one that concerned me most is on the 6 game right now....and I bet once bulletts start to fly it will be apparent Thomas isnt able to give what we need....Younger wants athletic versatile guys.....Thomas is polar opposite

Edited by Booch

Against my own better advice I briefly tuned into the coach’s show last night, and without beating a dead horse, it is even more abysmal than ever. Absolutely zero substance. 

Except now, Osh and Taylor have developed some kind of weird power imbalance thing where the coach shoots Derek with passive aggressive darts and DT responds with meek self deprecation. 

Have other markets found a listenable alternative to the issue of the reluctant coach? Maybe, throw out Kyle or Wade once in a while for a slightly more meaningful show? 

40 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's too bad 3Down has lost the insider kind of edge it started with.  At least 7 of the 9 people making those predictions contribute nothing journalistically.  Abbott fawns over BC and Hodge's basic knowledge of the sport is lacking.

It really is such a damned shame. I used to enjoy reading them soo much. Now it's not even worth it. The insider bites post each week was exactly the type of thing this league needs. That's what moves the needle with the younger demographic. 

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I think we are stronger at DL...QB....Reciever....jury out on the Oline until I see 2 games with whom they choose to roll with... DB not concerned...I think we may be better.....not concerned with age...the ne aging one that concerned me most is on the 6 game right now....and I bet once bulletts start to fly it will be apparent Thomas isnt able to give what we need....Younger wants athletic versatile guys.....Thomas is polar opposite

Stronger at Lber too imo. Overall we are significantly deeper, younger, and more athletic. Age made us worse last year. This year, I don't think will matter as much. Unless the wheels fall off zach, neuf or bryant all together. 

I think our OL will be better immediately in run pro, and reasonably close in pass pro to start. But I think we will be markedly better in pass pro some time around the 1/3 mark of the year. 

that show is a joke now....media scrums as well with him have basically become a joke....this veil of secrecy...non answers...smug comments....no need.....like asked who returner is....said yup...we know....but we not saying....no point in that, and not hard for a team to find out if it made a lick of difference.....Obviously they are unsure now that Smith got hurt...as nobody left in camp showed anything....and in practice it's not where u find one either

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Fatigue

6 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Against my own better advice I briefly tuned into the coach’s show last night, and without beating a dead horse, it is even more abysmal than ever. Absolutely zero substance. 

Except now, Osh and Taylor have developed some kind of weird power imbalance thing where the coach shoots Derek with passive aggressive darts and DT responds with meek self deprecation. 

Have other markets found a listenable alternative to the issue of the reluctant coach? Maybe, throw out Kyle or Wade once in a while for a slightly more meaningful show? 

Mos is the antithesis of Mike Kelly. Which I mostly love and appreciate about him. How ever he is soo opposite of kelly that his coaches show is the same quality. Kelly had too much ego to answer questions, mos is overly secretive for the right reasons. 

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wonder how DT feels about that show. Must get frustrating after years of no answers and barely any substance.

I couldn't do what he does even if I had all the skill in the world. I like the guy, and I try not to compare him, because no one can live up to knuckles. But I feel like the whole situation is comfortable to him. Like he's slidden right into the old boys club. Maybe I'm wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

that show is a joke now....media scrums as well with him have basically become a joke....this veil of secrecy...non answers...smug comments....no need.....like asked who returner is....said yup...we know....but we not saying....no point in that, and not hard for a team to find out if it made a lick of difference.....Obviously they are unsure now that Smith got hurt...as nobody left in camp showed anything....and in practice it's not where u find one either

I would actually prefer if he deferred those duties to walters, or the Ast coaches. Mos doesn't come off well in the scrum especially. I don't believe he intends it or is really how he appears. Buck, JY, even hall, especially walters always give good interviews.   

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Fatigue

QFT. They are all done with us winning haha. Maybe it's being bomber centric, but I don't remember them rushing to write off the stamps soo fast. But the media has changed a good bit in that time. 

11 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

I've never listened to the show and don't follow the media scrums but based on people I respect who post about this, it's sounding like the communication approach is sounding very Mike Kellyesque as in the world versus us forgetting of course its not just about the team but the loyal fans who support the team. Biggest thing I very much disliked about Mile Kelly's tenure here.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I've never listened to the show and don't follow the media scrums but based on people I respect who post about this, it's sounding like the communication approach is sounding very Mike Kellyesque as in the world versus us forgetting of course its not just about the team but the loyal fans who support the team. Biggest thing I very much disliked about Mile Kelly's tenure here.

It’s one of the things people would never stop talking about if not for us being such a good team.

It’s the same level of disrespect directed towards the fans as what Mike Kelly used to deliver, it’s just dressed up differently 

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I wonder how DT feels about that show. Must get frustrating after years of no answers and barely any substance.

Taylor might look at his own line of banter.

Eg. Instead of asking Osh: “Who do you think jumps off the page for fans this year?”….try….””What makes x a particularly difficult player to play against?” 

2 minutes ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Taylor might look at his own line of banter.

Eg. Instead of asking Osh: “Who do you think jumps off the page for fans this year?”….try….””What makes x a particularly difficult player to play against?” 

There shouldn’t be a barrier of entry based on the wording of questions for fans to get information from a show promoted to fans 

he should say..".you kept player x over player y...what was the deciding factor" , "besides he practices hard because they all should or not be here...correct?"....and if he gives the typical smug non anwer....tell him to bite it...that would be moocho entertaiing and worthy of listening to