Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

12 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Feltmate and MCI have both not looked any good at FB. 

At least with Charbaneau off the roster they won’t be tempted to rotate him in on D. Maybe Ayers even get a defensive rep some day! 

MCI needs the reps and experience to grow into the role...he's a legit talent and young and he wont get it on the PR or with basically useless reps in practice....as practices these days are pretty much a joke from what a practice used to be

Feltmate..is what he is...A fullback in title only, but no potentail to be anything other than that...thats part of what a lot of our issues stem from...this ascination of rostering guys that serve next to no purpose other than ST duties, and if needed in a game situation...or an extended amount of time due to injury...they just don't have it, and our neglect to develop legit guys compunds it. When we have excess injury issues...we are literally screwed

Even with it being poor performance in some areas, or a want/need to shift the deck chairs to try and get the right mix...we don't....is it we can't because the HC doesn't believe the nonesense he say's to the  media that they all starters, and are here for a reason, and we like who we have...is it because he has some bias/favoritism to certain players?...Or is it because he is just clueless, and believe's his own B.S and that he doesn't even see the inadequacies?

either way you slice it....it needs to be changed....cupboards stocked with actual talent on the roster, and develloping on the PR...AND the PR should almost be constantly in a state of flux until you have dug up the best assortment of guys possible...not carry guys with no shot...some for yrs even...or have guys who legit can help, but have them blocked by the aforementioned dead weight...and guys who serve no future...and some who don't even serve any now....this dead weight needs to be expunged sooner than later and allow us to become better on the fly, and basically just have to augment for next yr...

10 minutes ago, BomberBall. said:

This is what drives me nuts.  No real changes being made to a team that has ZERO wins.  It sends a message that they are satisfied with their current position.  So frustrating.

only change really..Is Strev for ZC and that is due to injury...Even if ZC was good to go..based on what we have seen, Strev deserves the chance at least for this gae to get a shot...and see if it kick starts us....But we all know if not for injury we would have fielded the exact same group of guys....who have looked like cellar dwellers as a group at 0-4

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

From four consecutive GC appearances to this. Much too rapid for my liking.

too much weight was put on that...and you have to admit some luck as well...wasn't some insane coaching that got us there...also we were in a divison with some teams in dissaray and were right crappy...they all have improved...strove to improve...we havn't...we have regressed and clinged hard to past success...the prime example of a recipe for disaster...and Osh the head Chef of this tasty meal

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

MCI needs the reps and experience to grow into the role...he's a legit talent and young and he wont get it on the PR or with basically useless reps in practice....as practices these days are pretty much a joke from what a practice used to be

Feltmate..is what he is...A fullback in title only, but no potentail to be anything other than that...thats part of what a lot of our issues stem from...this ascination of rostering guys that serve next to no purpose other than ST duties, and if needed in a game situation...or an extended amount of time due to injury...they just don't have it, and our neglect to develop legit guys compunds it. When we have excess injury issues...we are literally screwed

Even with it being poor performance in some areas, or a want/need to shift the deck chairs to try and get the right mix...we don't....is it we can't because the HC doesn't believe the nonesense he say's to the  media that they all starters, and are here for a reason, and we like who we have...is it because he has some bias/favoritism to certain players?...Or is it because he is just clueless, and believe's his own B.S and that he doesn't even see the inadequacies?

either way you slice it....it needs to be changed....cupboards stocked with actual talent on the roster, and develloping on the PR...AND the PR should almost be constantly in a state of flux until you have dug up the best assortment of guys possible...not carry guys with no shot...some for yrs even...or have guys who legit can help, but have them blocked by the aforementioned dead weight...and guys who serve no future...and some who don't even serve any now....this dead weight needs to be expunged sooner than later and allow us to become better on the fly, and basically just have to augment for next yr...

Totally agree on this. Too many guys that’s are teams guys only 

What I am about to say is deeply symbolic. It is a single "for instance" that represents so very much of what is going on.

We gave up an All-Star right tackle for Salary cap reasons and attempted to replace him with a player that was going to be cut. There was no real competition for that right tackle spot although there are hundreds of American candidates that could have been pursued rigorously.

Did they really think they could coach a below average player into a good player? Would it not be better to bring in a good player and coach and into a great player?
Please tell me what the short-circuit is in this instance and throughout the roster? Is it structural? Is it Biden like? Is it too much hierarchy? Have we gone from great to good? Or are we outright awful just because it's a mystery?

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

too much weight was put on that...and you have to admit some luck as well...wasn't some insane coaching that got us there...also we were in a divison with some teams in dissaray and were right crappy...they all have improved...strove to improve...we havn't...we have regressed and clinged hard to past success...the prime example of a recipe for disaster...and Osh the head Chef of this tasty meal

As a fan who had their heart broken too many times to count by this team, an appearance doesn’t really mean piss all to me anymore. 

Should be going on the drive for 5 right now, and that’s what this fanbase deserves, not standing pat and setting the team back 10 years.

At this point in my life, I’m not satisfied with anything but dominant football and championships. I wish the club still had the same mentality.. 

1 minute ago, BigBlue said:

What I am about to say is deeply symbolic. It is a single "for instance" that represents so very much of what is going on.

We gave up an All-Star right tackle for Salary cap reasons and attempted to replace him with a player that was going to be cut. There was no real competition for that right tackle spot although there are hundreds of American candidates that could have been pursued rigorously.

Did they really think they could coach a below average player into a good player? Would it not be better to bring in a good player and coach and into a great player?
Please tell me what the short-circuit is in this instance and throughout the roster? Is it structural? Is it Biden like? Is it too much hierarchy? Have we gone from great to good? Or are we outright awful just because it's a mystery?

There’s also the fact that Winnipeg as a city is a terrible sell for Americans. 
We got away with it for a number of years because we were shitkicking everybody and sending guys to the NFL.
Now there’s a glass ceiling in place holding up underperforming vets, a losing streak and a coach who doesn’t play rookies when at all possible. Good luck bringing in top-end prospects. 

6 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

As a fan who had their heart broken too many times to count by this team, an appearance doesn’t really mean piss all to me anymore. 

Should be going on the drive for 5 right now, and that’s what this fanbase deserves, not standing pat and setting the team back 10 years.

At this point in my life, I’m not satisfied with anything but dominant football and championships. I wish the club still had the same mentality.. 

There’s also the fact that Winnipeg as a city is a terrible sell for Americans. 
We got away with it for a number of years because we were shitkicking everybody and sending guys to the NFL.
Now there’s a glass ceiling in place holding up underperforming vets, a losing streak and a coach who doesn’t play rookies when at all possible. Good luck bringing in top-end prospects. 

actually...I can factually tell the opposite..Winnipeg is an easy sell for many many Americans. That isnt a detriment whatsoever. Tho I can say of recent, I think some players who are looking to make the next step....and by that I mean in the CFL will/are avoiding here as they see that there is not a real legit opp here in some areas...and we have had talent walk away as well due to this..Brown..Bolo...most recently and if Eli wasn't signed thrue 2025 you can bet he would be eploring elsewhere next yr as well...Likely some Dline guys too will be. 

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I hope we lose and get **** kicked. It’s the only way things change. But Streveler will pull off the miracle 

I'd be fine with a loss...But not due to Strev.....like to see him produce and deserve the better fate....but a loss that just further shines light on whats ailing us, and it's sad it has to come to that thought

Another interesting question...what If Srev lights it up..Offence clicks and looks worlds different than it has all yr....even in a loss....but if we win ...Does Osh go right back to ZC for next game...and just stick with him in that game if he keeps struggling...I bet I know the answer to that question

Edited by Booch

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

Another interesting question...what If Srev lights it up..Offence clicks and looks worlds different than it has all yr....even in a loss....but if we win ...Does Osh go right back to ZC for next game...and just stick with him in that game if he keeps struggling...I bet I know the answer to that question

Well I'd streveler looks good bet he stays starting and Zach gets another week to get healthy. This team does anything this year they need both qbs so don't think they automatically go back to collaros if streveler sets it on fire.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

My problem with analytics is that it doesn't weigh the gravity of the situation. Each play is given equal value, and of course, that is not how football works. It's a game of big plays at the right time.

They can, you can add value for final 3 minutes for instance. But I think people under value the earlier portions of games. It’s easier to win games before the 3 minute warning and avoiding the clutch with out making twice as many plays. 
 Personally I value 2nd down stops that lead to kicks as much as first down sacks etc. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

we be better off withCharbonneau on for Feltmate...who offers zip....and no upside...MCI has oodles of it...and this is when you have to allow him to earn his chops...get acclimated....Dude is just as good on ST's....and offers way more as a FB... and a decoy alone if anything on some plays...you have to repsect his athleticism and speed...especially at his size....

I hope Strev makes a statement...and has a big...well rounded game....and That they installed stuff for him...to move him around and have Ottawa respect the run threat, but still have to maintain coverage

I do agree on feltmate and yeah mci can progress. Idk if he will make that step before next tc but I’m ok with him getting a game here n there. Certainly over a guy like feltmate. I’d throw Samson a game as well. See if he can contribute. 
our pr ni depth is sad. 

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I hope we lose and get **** kicked. It’s the only way things change. But Streveler will pull off the miracle 

I want Strev to take the reins. And I think he has a good chance. I think he can also help expose how bad kola is. 

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

Is spearing with the crown of your helmet not a penalty anymore? 

From the rule book:

Spearing - Delivering a spear (??) to an opponent’s head or neck area when the offender has a clear view to the opponent and there are no mitigating circumstances.

Roughing the Passer - Delivering a direct blow to the passer’s head or neck area with the helmet when the offender has a clear view to the passer and there are no mitigating circumstances.

Nothing about crown of the helmet BTW. 

22 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

ZC won’t even dress, so we’ll get to see what Strev can do. Any ideas what the plan for a third QB is?

A few of my candidates 

demski. Hasn’t played it but I’ve seen him throw the ball during qb toss in warm ups. He’s been here the longest and he knows the offence the best.

Chris smith. Never played qb, never seen him throw. But he’s a smart guy who played both ways and is dangerous with the ball in his hands. Basically he’d be a wildcat qb. 

devin Adam’s. lolwut?! He actually ran the ball and threw (mostly as a punter but couple run plays too) in college. If you need a short yardage guy, imagine trying to tackle or stop him. I would love to see this for entertainment value alone.

33 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

ZC won’t even dress, so we’ll get to see what Strev can do. Any ideas what the plan for a third QB is?

is he not dressing tho?...A smart move would be to roster 2 QB's...and use his roster spot on another player of use...That would make too much sense...But we have seen Osh before dress players who never stepped on the field....

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

is he not dressing tho?...A smart move would be to roster 2 QB's...and use his roster spot on another player of use...That would make too much sense...But we have seen Osh before dress players who never stepped on the field....

Don’t think you get an extra player for one fewer qb, but I do believe 3rd qb is an option not mandatory. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Don’t think you get an extra player for one fewer qb, but I do believe 3rd qb is an option not mandatory. 

YEAH....wasn't sure about the rule..I know it was a max of 3 QB's....I thought if you went with 2 you were allowed another Global or National...could be mistaken