Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I think we had a great strategy in this game for this game. They decided to optimize the game plan for victory rather than Chris Streveler's longevity. And it worked. I bet they're certain the Zach is back next week the way they sacrificed Streveler'd body  in the first half. This wasnt the time to stretch Steveler and help him to grow as a passer.  This was a game we absolutely needed.

Are you being facetious? Genuinely asking, not trying to be a prick. 

If Zach was out for the year, that game would have gone the exact same way. They don’t have any receivers. 

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I think we had a great strategy in this game for this game. They decided to optimize the game plan for victory rather than Chris Streveler's longevity. And it worked. I bet they're certain the Zach is back next week the way they sacrificed Streveler'd body  in the first half. This wasnt the time to stretch Steveler and help him to grow as a passer.  This was a game we absolutely needed.

The game plan is always to win.  They aren't thinking about next week.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The game plan is always to win.  They aren't thinking about next week.

Question is would they have won if Brown was able to stay in the game, eventually he might have gotten on track and been able to outscore Castillo.

As long as Streveler is our qb throwing the ball will be a challenge. Although Streveler does bring a lot of intangibles to the table to make up for it. It was nice to see our young receivers finally become more involved in the offense. Unlike when Zach was playing. Streveler as more than willing to let these guys earn their paycheques. unlike Collaros ignored them the past 4 games. How can young receivers improve if all they do is run routes all game long & are never thrown to? 

The more I see Dru Brown, the more he looks like a game managing qb who'll never be able to put a team on his back in order to win. He plays like an automaton. Nothng exciting. Does his job. Goes through his reads. We'd have not been any better off by keeping him. Dustin Crum is Dustin Crum. Still can't read a defense & relies too much on his legs instead of his arm trying to win games. Destined to be a career backup. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

As long as Streveler is our qb throwing the ball will be a challenge. Although it was nice to see our young receivers become more involved in the offense. Unlike when Zach was playing. Streveler as more than willing to let these guys earn thjeir paycheques unlike Collaros who ignored them the past 4 games. How can young receivers improve if all they do is run routes all game long & are never thrown to? 

The more I see Dru Brown, the more he looks like a game managing qb who'll never be able to put a team on his back in order to win. He plays like an automaton. Nothng exciting. Does his job. Goes through his reads. We'd have not been any better off by keeping him. Dustin Crum is Dustin Crum. Still can't read a defense & relies too much on his legs instead of his arm trying to win games. Destined to be a career backup. 

Would have been interesting if Ottawa got Schoen.

Their receiving group is pretty awful IMO.  Rhymes and Addison can barely move.  Hardy is alright.  Acklin has a pulse.  Kind of a Bombers post-Stegall pre-Adams, Lawler, Schoen lineup.  A bunch of parts, no #1 target.

Fun to watch Strev at QB and great to get the W! Hope he's not too banged up. Bombers should start him next game as he gives the club a spark that's absent with Collaros who's on the decline. Brady starting to get going. O-line played like they're starting to feel like a unit. Wille J had a few moments, as did Kyrie. Is it enough? Prob not. The 2 cornerbacks and Holm give me hope. Man, they're good. Castillo = Money! Speaking of which, one of my kids won the 50/50. Whoop Whoop!! :)

7 hours ago, Doublezero said:

Fun to watch Strev at QB and great to get the W! Hope he's not too banged up. Bombers should start him next game as he gives the club a spark that's absent with Collaros who's on the decline. Brady starting to get going. O-line played like they're starting to feel like a unit. Wille J had a few moments, as did Kyrie. Is it enough? Prob not. The 2 cornerbacks and Holm give me hope. Man, they're good. Castillo = Money! Speaking of which, one of my kids won the 50/50. Whoop Whoop!! :)

Wow, congratulations Uncle Doublezero! I’ll call you this afternoon, it’s been too long.

8 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Question is would they have won if Brown was able to stay in the game, eventually he might have gotten on track and been able to outscore Castillo.

No. Brown doesn't have the same speed as Crum. That's what moved their offense...especially in the 4th. Brown playing, the Bombers likely put up more points because ott would have had more 2 and outs.

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Would have been interesting if Ottawa got Schoen.

Their receiving group is pretty awful IMO.  Rhymes and Addison can barely move.  Hardy is alright.  Acklin has a pulse.  Kind of a Bombers post-Stegall pre-Adams, Lawler, Schoen lineup.  A bunch of parts, no #1 target.

They have an all-star receiving corps. A 2019 all-star receiving corps. 

So what you guys are essentially saying is that the way Streveler was used in the first half looked like something that was sustainable over an 18 game schedule?

It's nice to see that Unger derangement syndrome is still alive and well within the usual suspects here.

Edited by Colin Unger

17 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So what you guys are essentially saying is that the way Streveler was used in the first half looked like something that was sustainable over an 18 game schedule?

It's nice to see that Unger derangement syndrome is still alive and well within the usual suspects here.

No one ever said it was sustainable with Strevelers body, we’re saying this is the offence they have right now. ZC being out a week or 12 doesn’t change anything. 

Just imagine what this offence can do once we get a receiving corps.....Being a little facetious there with the receivng comment BUT we certainly have to up that part of our game...Luved the old school running type game....little concerned about the heavy hits Streve was taking but he seems to be able to shrug them off.....Castillo is top of his game....ever since they removed the chip....He's starting to remind me of Meds.....Mr. never miss and Mr. dependable...Glad we have that going for us.....Reports that Zack isn't very happy not being dressed for the game.....I hope he gets over his little snit and remembers .....team game Zack....team game

I strongly disagree. They would make some changes to this strategy if they were faced with going the rest of the season with Streveler/Wilson because of how impossible it is that Steveler could survive the strategy we used in the first half. He almost didn't survive on half of football playing that way.  And he showed in the 4th quarter last week that he does have some ability as a passer. I think what happened yesterday was that unexpectedly the strategy they came out with early ended up being successful enough and Ottawa failed do score points so we continued with this strategy at least for the first half and then used Streveler more as a decoy in the 2nd half. I doubt the gameplan was to play like that for the whole game. 

41 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I strongly disagree. They would make some changes to this strategy if they were faced with going the rest of the season with Streveler/Wilson because of how impossible it is that Steveler could survive the strategy we used in the first half. He almost didn't survive on half of football playing that way.  And he showed in the 4th quarter last week that he does have some ability as a passer. I think what happened yesterday was that unexpectedly the strategy they came out with early ended up being successful enough and Ottawa failed do score points so we continued with this strategy at least for the first half and then used Streveler more as a decoy in the 2nd half. I doubt the gameplan was to play like that for the whole game. 

He does have ability as a passer. We’re starting a 3rd string WR corps basically. 

I disagree with your game flow analysis. They went to strev running exclusively when Brady was hurt because the RBs were still dropping guys into coverage. 
If they’d kept Strev in the pocket, he’d be getting pasted like Collaros was, this is the only way to have any kind of consistent production with the WR group out there. 
Demski and Woli get all the attention from defences and nobody else can run routes well enough and/or have the speed to stretch the field. 
When they were using him as a decoy as you say, we were settling for FGs. The crash and bash IS the offence, at least til we get Lawler back, or fix the interior OL. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

6 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Have to agree, what Strev. is doing to his body is not sustainable, if he was starting longer term eventually he'd end up on the 6-game and they'd be stuck playing Wilson.  That game plan was enough to beat the RB's on a bad night but not a long list of teams it's going to work against, including next weeks opponent the Stamps.  Strev. showed he is not the future replacement for Zach, he is what he's always been, a gadget QB that can help out occasionally.

21 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Just imagine what this offence can do once we get a receiving corps.....Being a little facetious there with the receivng comment BUT we certainly have to up that part of our game...Luved the old school running type game....little concerned about the heavy hits Streve was taking but he seems to be able to shrug them off.....Castillo is top of his game....ever since they removed the chip....He's starting to remind me of Meds.....Mr. never miss and Mr. dependable...Glad we have that going for us.....Reports that Zack isn't very happy not being dressed for the game.....I hope he gets over his little snit and remembers .....team game Zack....team game

That’s just 3down and their dumb headlines. It wasn’t even ZC, it was a generic Osh quote about “yeah he’s angry, he wants to be out there like any competitor” 

18 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

Football isn’t sustainable on a body. Playing an extremely physical position/style is a ticking time bomb. Some guys like Bryant stay young forever. Other guys are gone and done in their 20s. 
 I’ll say, it’s generally easier on the body being the hitter than being hit. Collaros had a ton of wear on him from being hit prior to his resurgence here. Nichols was physically done when he should’ve gone into his prime, and willy was done way before it. 
 With our ol right now, qbs aren’t going to stay healthy for the long run. I’d rather our guy be hitting and controlling the contact through initiating than getting smashed. 

buck does need to evolve the passing offence to fit strevy and the weapons we have. And we need better targets, the rookie wrs that are left don’t show much. 

Collaros has zero mobility so next time he does play, it won’t be long. Reality is this oline requires a mobile QB not an immobile statue. Zach would have been destroyed last night. We lose if Zach plays last night. Personally I think he’s cooked. This goes back to last year. Hr needs protection to be effective and he’s not gonna get it. I guarantee we lose next game he starts. 

Edited by Goalie

20 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

He does have ability as a passer. We’re starting a 3rd string WR corps basically. 

I disagree with your game row analysis. They went to strev running exclusively when Brady was hurt because the RBs were still dropping guys into coverage. 
If they’d kept Strev in the pocket, he’d be getting pasted like Collaros was, this is the only way to have any kind of consistent production with the WR group out there. 
Demski and Woli get all the attention from defences and nobody else can run routes well enough and/or have the speed to stretch the field. 
When they were using him as a decoy as you say, we were settling for FGs. The crash and bash IS the offence, at least til we get Lawler back, or fix the interior OL. 

As much as we'd like for that to be the offence until we fix the offensive line and get Lawler back I don't think it will be. With the lack of any real attempt to fix the offensive line with new players and the lack of any improvement from out Canadians on the offensive line its hard to imagine at this point that the offensive line will be fixed before next season. And Streveler isn't going to last doing it.  I doesn't right now even look like Brady's body is physically up for the task. On top of looking at making some personnel changes to the offensive line i think we should also be looking for an american running back who we can roster who can do some of the same physical running that Brady does. It would be nice to make come out in the first quarter with Streveler and Brady and physically beat up teams and then when the defense is warn down bring in Zach and do some passing. I just don't see this style of offence lasting for much longer. I bet Zach is back starting next week. 

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Collaros has zero mobility so next time he does play, it won’t be long. Reality is this oline requires a mobile QB not an immobile statue. Zach would have been destroyed last night. 

Exactly. I was saying it at the beginning of the year, Zach’s style lends itself less to bad oline play than any QB in the league.