Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Collaros has zero mobility so next time he does play, it won’t be long. Reality is this oline requires a mobile QB not an immobile statue. Zach would have been destroyed last night. We lose if Zach plays last night. Personally I think he’s cooked. This goes back to last year. Hr needs protection to be effective and he’s not gonna get it. I guarantee we lose next game he starts. 

The annoying part about all of this is we could literally be starting 4 americans on the offensive line if we wanted to right now and we choose not to start even one additional offensive lineman. 

Strev can’t pass. Collaros had 55 yards passing last game. The double standard is something with these 2. Zach doesn’t have a passing TD in 6 games now. But sure. Streveler can’t pass. Reality all Zach could do was pass but now he can’t even do that. Strev atleast spreads the ball around. Zach does not and will not. 

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The annoying part about all of this is we could literally be starting 4 americans on the offensive line if we wanted to right now and we choose not to start even one additional offensive lineman. 

Irrelevant. Collaros is a sitting duck. If you need 4 American online in the cfl to protect your QB, your QB is the problem 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Colin Unger said:

As much as we'd like for that to be the offence until we fix the offensive line and get Lawler back I don't think it will be. With the lack of any real attempt to fix the offensive line with new players and the lack of any improvement from out Canadians on the offensive line its hard to imagine at this point that the offensive line will be fixed before next season. And Streveler isn't going to last doing it.  I doesn't right now even look like Brady's body is physically up for the task. On top of looking at making some personnel changes to the offensive line i think we should also be looking for an american running back who we can roster who can do some of the same physical running that Brady does. It would be nice to make come out in the first quarter with Streveler and Brady and physically beat up teams and then when the defense is warn down bring in Zach and do some passing. I just don't see this style of offence lasting for much longer. I bet Zach is back starting next week. 

If Zach is back starting last week, everything looks like the BC game at absolute best. 

I like the idea of a 1A/1B like they did in the ‘19 run. 
I don’t like the idea of Zach starting and Strev just running last years Proukop package. If they go that way, it really is a lost season. 

1 minute ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Exactly. I was saying it at the beginning of the year, Zach’s style lends itself less to bad oline play than any QB in the league.  

Hence what happened to him in Hamilton. 

Even when Lawler is back i think we are better off with Clercius starting over a rookie american and start another american offensive lineman. 

Just now, JohnnyAbonny said:

If Zach is back starting last week, everything looks like the BC game at absolute best. 

I like the idea of a 1A/1B like they did in the ‘19 run. 
I don’t like the idea of Zach starting and Strev just running last years Proukop package. If they go that way, it really is a lost season. 

I agree with that. But they should be proactive in fixing the offensive line which doesn't seem to be a priority. 

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Hence what happened to him in Hamilton. 

Even when Lawler is back i think we are better off with Clercius starting over a rookie american and start another american offensive lineman. 

I agree with that. But they should be proactive in fixing the offensive line which doesn't seem to be a priority. 

I agree with this part 100%. Should have happened already imo. 

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Which is made worse by the fact that after Bryant we have 3 imp ol all of whom are guards. 

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

As @JuranBoldenRules said, sit an OL next game and start Vanderpool at guard. We'd still be starting 9 Nationals. Heck do that and make Jake at back up with Adams and Woods at DT. Still be starting 8 Nationals and we're likely better.

id be fine with that as long as eli starts at C. 

I found it interesting that in an article post game on 3dn neuf talked about the ol being called out for not playing physical enough. 

I think it’s hilarious that ppl think that after a win they will change anything when they been doing the same **** every week. Like all of a sudden they gonna not play Thomas all game or all of a sudden O’Shea gonna tell kyrie bighill and Alexander they cooked. Ffs Wilson wasn’t even taken off the field after his roughing the passer and neither was Kramdi. There’s no accountability here.

its gonna be hilarious when they rush back to Zach and we don’t move the ball. Then what’s the excuse for collaros gonna be. Should start 4 American oline in the cfl? 

Edited by Goalie

21 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Welcome to the conversation that's been happening for over a year now about how the poor roster management makes things harder than they need to be.

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ffs Wilson wasn’t even taken off the field after his roughing the passer

That was a total bullshit call. Only reason the flag was thrown was because Mike Miller put a shoulder into crum and took him down. Otherwise there's no flag because the push was nothing and way worse is always let go if the qb stays on his feet.

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Which is made worse by the fact that after Bryant we have 3 imp ol all of whom are guards. 

id be fine with that as long as eli starts at C. 

I found it interesting that in an article post game on 3dn neuf talked about the ol being called out for not playing physical enough. 

I feel that Dobson is the weakest link.  He’s not patient enough.  He leaves his gap, he quits on blocks.  If there’s no one running right at him he starts searching and turns his hips to chase laterally opening up the entire side of the line in pass pro.  Play after play he’s committing cardinal sins.

He’s not good enough to be out there and if he is expect your QB to get killed.  They need to switch it up.  It’s been almost 1/3 of a season. 

Could try Wallace but I think I’d roll an American in there.

I thought our o-line and d-line played better....not great but better, our LB's are weak, and I thought or backfield on defence played well. On defence I think we are close.....

It was great to see Brady and Strev. playing emotional, high tempo, I think we are missing that this year

DB97 had some comments in the pre game yesterday that were under the table jabs at Dobson not doing his job. It was a bunch of gobbledygook about A, B, C gaps and "certain" OL not keeping their responsibility and just roaming out there, which allowed Collaros to get slaughtered. I don't know enough to know, but if someone with knowledge told me that Dobson wasn't getting it done, I'd be inclined to believe it. Still think Koala is the biggest issue though. 

21 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I feel that Dobson is the weakest link.  He’s not patient enough.  He leaves his gap, he quits on blocks.  If there’s no one running right at him he starts searching and turns his hips to chase laterally opening up the entire side of the line in pass pro.  Play after play he’s committing cardinal sins.

He’s not good enough to be out there and if he is expect your QB to get killed.  They need to switch it up.  It’s been almost 1/3 of a season. 

Could try Wallace but I think I’d roll an American in there.

He’s certainly an issue, but he’s far from the issue of kola, who makes our entire interior much worse. Teams are crossing his face or playing a nose on him virtually every snap now. Every team has him figured out and until that changes we will struggle. 
 We had the same struggles last year inside with out Dobson starting. 
 With our ratio as it is we almost are disincentivized to play Canadians. Wallace I think could be better than Dobson this year, but idk if he’d be better than vanterpool who would likely be our best guard by a mile. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

DB97 had some comments in the pre game yesterday that were under the table jabs at Dobson not doing his job. It was a bunch of gobbledygook about A, B, C gaps and "certain" OL not keeping their responsibility and just roaming out there, which allowed Collaros to get slaughtered. I don't know enough to know, but if someone with knowledge told me that Dobson wasn't getting it done, I'd be inclined to believe it. Still think Koala is the biggest issue though. 

I didn’t hear browns comments so I can’t talk to them, but when one interior dl is on the centre or crossing him every snap that means only 1 of the two other guards has a guy and a clear assignment. Normally, the C is the guy free up who re acts to the D and who needs help. That has fallen to Dobson and nuef mostly, and more so Dobson. Who certainly is not used to that role and does seem lost when he isn’t head up on a guy. 
 No one runs actual gap schemes much any more. But the gist of zone is head up or if the defender is between you and the play side you double and stay while the other guy doubles and skips to the second level. This would generally be a centre going second level, and you’d try to pinch with a wr fb extra ol etc to get a second guy to the second level. 

Dobson can atleast improve, and has the best ol coach to work with him. Wallace as well. Neuf isn’t gonna get healthier and kola isn’t going to get better. 
 I wonder if having Dobson at C in the pre season has him trying to do too much and take that role that kola isn’t filling. 

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Koala calling out the wrong protection schemes could be playing a role 

Our whole ol hasnt struggled this much since wiley took over early in the mafia days. And it’s not just pass pro or run gaps discipline is shot too. It was problematic back last year it’s just continued to devolve. 

The Oline has issues, this is clear to everyone.  Regardless of who you think is the biggest problem, we all agree a change should be made….  Why hasn’t anything been done?  I know you want to give the unit time to gel, but they’ve had it, and it’s not working.  I can’t understand how the coaching staff is happy with what they’re seeing.

I’ve said it before, but my vote would be to start with Eli at C.  He has better size, better athleticism, better pedigree…. He’s a better player.  The fact that he’s not starting is insane to me.

Sign Gray. Cut lofton who appears to tip his hand to the upcoming play. 

start Eli. 

Bryant Dobson Eli Neufeld Gray. 

it couldn’t be worse. If it is, give the Americans on the pr a game since we start all our Canadians anyways. 

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

start Eli. 

it couldn’t be worse. If it is, give the Americans on the pr a game since we start all our Canadians anyways. 

I was under the impression Gray was done with football. 

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

start Eli. 

Gray weighs less than Bighill now.  He's not coming back.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Gray weighs less than Bighill now.  He's not coming back.

Alright then. Is neufeld worse than lofton or one of the pr guys? 
guess sounds like you could go 

Bryant Dobson Eli neufeld lofton immediately or get an American guard in there also or even go Wallace at guard. Guess thems the only options. There’s no tackles better than lofton who are FAs? 

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

start Eli. 

Gray is not a tackle