Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wtf....can we not find an de that can stay healthy?

He practiced in full all week but was ruled out for the game .. hopefully it's just a situation of him not being ready yet but it does beg the question, why release Fayad if Garbutt wasn't good to go?

(Truthfully I'm not upset by the release of Fayad, his play was very uneven and he lacked a bit of physicality.  Outside that first game, he didn't make much of an impact)

45 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wtf....can we not find an de that can stay healthy?

or have another one at the ready??....like wtf guys

They will just wear Adams out off the edge to minimize his effectiveness inside....typical...Could of easily dumped McGhee off the PR to accomodate a body...tell him to stick around town as yhou still have Bridges there anyway....pretty sure nobody will scoop him up and start him...typical poor roster management in full bore

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yes not many...which is why Brady is so rare and deserves to paid more than others. (I'm not saying I like his contract...but I understand it)
Schoen admittedly took less because other offers while more $$ didn't have the team strength. 
So henoc got paid? We're not talking about how good the teams were...we're talking about premium Canadians getting paid a premium amount. I know...his contract may have contributed to his crappy teams...but we're talking about whether or not star Canadians get paid more or not. And history shows they absolutely do.
Harris again took discounts because he wanted to build something.
At the very least, BC was willing to pay more (or at least the same) for Brady.

Again, star Canadians basically across the board get paid more (maybe more than they should).

He’s an aberration, the exception that proves the rule. Doesn’t matter what passport you have, rb is the lowest value starter on the field. 
The point is, good teams don’t waste cap space on star Canadians. Did the als or argos have nis making top of the range pay? Did we in 19 or 21? Nope. Bad teams give out bloated contracts like that. Desjarlais, korte, gittens et.  
 Bad teams give Canadians big premium contracts, even at premium positions. We refused to pay drew, couture, Kongbo etc. despite ol being the highest value ni spot, and one of the highest value spots in football. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Brady and Nic are not comparable imo. Brady plays a position that a comparable back could be had for a third of the cost. Nick is getting slightly higher than many just over a 1000 yard receivers get but not by a large margin and because of his passport. Brady has to be a game changer EVERY week to justify his salary. So far he has been a game changer once through 5 games. Not all of that is his fault but that is the reality. If we go back to Brady ball he has a good chance of justifying his contract through the remainder of the season. If we don't, or he can't, his salary becomes an albatross to our SMS. That was always going to be the risk of signing a RB to a big cheddar contract and why it is not often done.

Demski also gets paid more because he does more than most wrs. Hes widely held as the best guy away from the ball, a great blocker and his jet sweep stuff has been critical in our offensive success the last several years. 

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So people are complaining about Brady making $235,000 when he was MOC and should have been MOP last season but Demski makes $225,000 and is our third wr and not a peep? 

*For the record, I like Demski and Brady and think its other areas that are poor salary amangement.*

The top paid wr makes almost 100k more than demski. Vs the second highest paid rb in the league makes 70k less than Brady. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I'll play. Name me a current CFL RB who can do what Brady is doing and who makes 78,000?

Otts rookie is at the min and could/is doing it. 
 You don’t need a current name though, because thats the rb market. When was the last time a team couldn’t find a rb

25 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I thought someone said you could practice early now but I might have made that up.

2 games early as opposed to 1...more so to allow a guy to get into game condition.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Maybe Butler and Armstrong. But Mills and Carey are not what they claim to be. Carey especially looks like he's about done. 

Mills is 27 and in his 2nd season as a starter. Butler is way further down the road than mills, Carey has been solid as well. 
 Look at production in the league soo far among rbs. Pretty much every one across the board is neck and neck. Ryquell has been far more effective than most but that’s it. If you swap Brady for any of the starting backs in the league we don’t see any change in out comes this year. But if you take 130-170k difference between Brady and most of those backs and put that on a starter else where to have replaced them with an all star you could see change. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The top paid wr makes almost 100k more than demski. Vs the second highest paid rb in the league makes 70k less than Brady. 

You don’t need a current name though, because thats the rb market. When was the last time a team couldn’t find a rb

I'd rather pay Brady his salary than Demski if I had to pick one.

That said, while I get the concerns over what you pay Brady versus say another RB, to me that contract is not the issue. Its the contracts of Bighill, Wilson, Alexander, Thomas, Kramdi and Augustine.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

That said, while I get the concerns over what you pay Brady versus say another RB, to me that contract is not the issue. Its the contracts of Bighill, Wilson, Alexander, Thomas, Kramdi and Augustine.

and that ZC contract with 250k garuanteed next yr which is really gonna cripple us....one saving Grace is Schoen won't be on the books in any way shape or form until likely game 7 or 8 next yr...so there is a good chunk saved.

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

and that ZC contract with 250k garuanteed next yr which is really gonna cripple us....one saving Grace is Schoen won't be on the books in any way shape or form until likely game 7 or 8 next yr...so there is a good chunk saved.

That one too.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

That said, while I get the concerns over what you pay Brady versus say another RB, to me that contract is not the issue. It’s the contracts of Bighill, Wilson, Alexander, Thomas, Kramdi and Augustine.

Demskis deal looks worse when we don’t have guys that he can aid in the line up. Hes a glue guy and brings tremendous value in his route running and blocking. He understands better than most any one how to adjust his routes and depth to put the D in a bad spot and create a great look for him self or more frequently a guy like lawler / schoen. 
 His age and health, and not running the motion pack I wouldn’t give him that deal again now. But he’s still a tremendous value that severely limits how defenders can play our top wrs. 

I’d say if broken down into tiers, Brady’s deal would be a 2nd tier problem. Right now, zach looks like the biggest concern. Ba doesn’t make that much keep in mind. Lawlers deal is a big issue just because it’s a remnant of a couple free agencies where the league lost its mind.

Top tier is deals we need out from now. 2nd tier is guys that really hurt, but you can have maybe one or two of them. We have a bunch of twos now. Biggie Thomas kramdi etc are all in that tier with Brady. 
We need a thorough roster weeding in the off season if not sooner. 

I remember suggesting in the off season that it wouldn’t be feasible going forward having three of the four highest paid receivers in the league plus the highest paid QB and RB I took some flack for suggesting Lawler would have to take a discount to stay. It’s not that these guys aren’t worth the money on their own it’s just having them all really handicaps our roster manager flexibility and now we’re paying for it. I guess the silver lining is if Schoen returns next year because of his injury I don’t think we’ll see a bump in his salary, maybe a decrease, and we’ll have some tough decisions about how we want to allocate salary. 

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Demskis coming off the best season of his career. He's not a #1 guy which is why he's not being paid like one. He's being paid like he's one of the top Canadian WR. Which he is. Bailey is not demski. For whatever reason Bailey has always been overrated around these parts. 

I'm not a huge fan of Brady's contract. But I understand it. I also think this will likely be his largest pay day. He's not a guy is want to lose at this point in his career. So as a gm, get him back in the door and as time goes on try to claw back some of that sms by renegotiating etc.

I am not a fan of Bailey.  But I'd rather have him in that 3-4 slot with Wolitarsky (hell even someone like Lucky Whitehead), just guys who play their role, can get a first down, Bailey even worked that jet sweep as much as anyone the past couple years, and be able to bring in a decent CFL prime rush end or DB/SAM and let Demski walk.  Problem is they signed the receivers all out of order.  Demski then Lawler then Schoen came up this February obviously.  In terms of importance to the offense you could reverse them.

It's painful watching an offense where Demski is one of the top 2 targets.  Something that's got us moving with Streveler is Demski taking a bit of a backseat and just being a move the chains guy more than someone we're forcing vertical shots at.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Who was our RB from 2012-2015?

It's not as easy as that.  Ottawa themselves have hardly had impactful running backs going on years.  Sask, BC have struggled for years to find anyone who is more than filler.  Yeah you can always plug guys in, not necessarily going to be someone who helps you win rather than just be a placeholder.

59 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Will do ding dong (Booch, 2024).

Please don't ban me.

I'll go back to lurking and just focus on the football discussions, promise. 🙂

Go Blue.

I’m quoting your ‘ding dong’ reference you used for a poster above @Booch

You pulling out oldies out of nowhere is comedy gold. Keep up the good work. :)

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I’m quoting your ‘ding dong’ reference you used for a poster above @Booch

You pulling out oldies out of nowhere is comedy gold. Keep up the good work. :)

haha....thats what I figured....but I was a bit confused....and yeah I have a lot in my holster! haha