Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I am not a fan of Bailey.  But I'd rather have him in that 3-4 slot with Wolitarsky (hell even someone like Lucky Whitehead), just guys who play their role, can get a first down, Bailey even worked that jet sweep as much as anyone the past couple years, and be able to bring in a decent CFL prime rush end or DB/SAM and let Demski walk.  Problem is they signed the receivers all out of order.  Demski then Lawler then Schoen came up this February obviously.  In terms of importance to the offense you could reverse them.

It's painful watching an offense where Demski is one of the top 2 targets.  Something that's got us moving with Streveler is Demski taking a bit of a backseat and just being a move the chains guy more than someone we're forcing vertical shots at.

Who was our RB from 2012-2015?

It's not as easy as that.  Ottawa themselves have hardly had impactful running backs going on years.  Sask, BC have struggled for years to find anyone who is more than filler.  Yeah you can always plug guys in, not necessarily going to be someone who helps you win rather than just be a placeholder.

Starts with Chad Simpson was the guy till he got hurt, and runs up to cam Marshall. How many sacks did we give up in that time line and who did we have for ocs? Product of the environment. 
 Ott has easily been above average for rbs despite not having a qb of note in a good while. Roc now, Williams last year, they had rb by committee before that leading up to Powell. 
 Bc hasn’t be willing to commit to running the ball in a dogs age. Ssk churned through several decently productive guys in committee back to carries being split with Fajardo. 
 Bc and Hamilton have been bringing in established fa starters and seldom using them for years. They would suck at running the ball with Christian Mccaffrey or any other top back. 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wtf....can we not find an de that can stay healthy?

I think we will see Adams at edge mainly but yes, a lot of Hubert and the depth guys. 

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So people are complaining about Brady making $235,000 when he was MOC and should have been MOP last season but Demski makes $225,000 and is our third wr and not a peep? 

*For the record, I like Demski and Brady and think its other areas that are poor salary amangement.*

Something fishy about this, last season 3DN had Demski earning $175k on a 3 year deal, which sounds about right.  This year they've jumped him up to $225k without re-negotiating his contract.  Huh???

9) Nic Demski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $175,000
Maximum value: $175,000

The 29-year-old received a $35,000 signing bonus to ink a three-year extension with his hometown team through 2025 with the value of the deal rising in each respective year. The rest of his earnings for 2023 will be paid in the form of a $140,000 salary.

4) Nic Demski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $225,000
Maximum value: $225,000

The 30-year-old was named a West Division all-star for the third consecutive year in 2023 after eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career. He received a $65,000 roster bonus on Jan. 1, $30,000 of which he forwent last season to help his hometown team against the salary cap. The rest of his earnings will be paid as a $140,000 salary and $20,000 in non-football-related services.

Pretty gross that the team and Osh spotlights Kramdi the week after he takes out a starting QB with a dirty hit. 

58 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Something fishy about this, last season 3DN had Demski earning $175k on a 3 year deal, which sounds about right.  This year they've jumped him up to $225k without re-negotiating his contract.  Huh???

9) Nic Demski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $175,000
Maximum value: $175,000

The 29-year-old received a $35,000 signing bonus to ink a three-year extension with his hometown team through 2025 with the value of the deal rising in each respective year. The rest of his earnings for 2023 will be paid in the form of a $140,000 salary.

4) Nic Demski, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (N)

Hard money: $225,000
Maximum value: $225,000

The 30-year-old was named a West Division all-star for the third consecutive year in 2023 after eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career. He received a $65,000 roster bonus on Jan. 1, $30,000 of which he forwent last season to help his hometown team against the salary cap. The rest of his earnings will be paid as a $140,000 salary and $20,000 in non-football-related services.

Says in the 2023 blurb that he gets a raise every subsequent year. That’s a big raise though. Would like him a lot better at $175k for his role. 

13 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Pretty gross that the team and Osh spotlights Kramdi the week after he takes out a starting QB with a dirty hit. 

Says in the 2023 blurb that he gets a raise every subsequent year. That’s a big raise though. Would like him a lot better at $175k for his role. 

I love being sub par

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

I’m with you on this spotlight. Show some humility.

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

If that's the case Walters is spending an insane amount of his budget on the receiving corps and the offence in general and is getting little return so far for that money spent.

Edited by Fatty Liver

6 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I remember suggesting in the off season that it wouldn’t be feasible going forward having three of the four highest paid receivers in the league plus the highest paid QB and RB I took some flack for suggesting Lawler would have to take a discount to stay. It’s not that these guys aren’t worth the money on their own it’s just having them all really handicaps our roster manager flexibility and now we’re paying for it. I guess the silver lining is if Schoen returns next year because of his injury I don’t think we’ll see a bump in his salary, maybe a decrease, and we’ll have some tough decisions about how we want to allocate salary. 

I think it’s a question of balancing the other deals. You had have all that premium pay, plus guys like kramdi augustine etc. 

Lawler is looking at a serious market correction in his next deal. 

3 hours ago, DTonOB said:

99% sure they'll bring Lucky Ogbevoen onto the roster at DE for this week. See what he can do and bridge to Garbutt's return next week.

Man I hope not. 220 lbs de with out any decent level experience would get rag dolled. 

4 hours ago, blue85gold said:

To be fair to Osh, he probably has no say in this.  We know how he feels about media so I'm sure he would love not to have to do any of this kind of thing.

18 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

If you're talking about signing two guys to replace Brady. You're not saving that much. On top of that you'll see production drop unless you find a gem of an American. Which sounds easy, but there are 8 other teams and maybe 1 is at Bradys level right now.

Either way, replacing a home town star is not the 1st place I'd look by a long shot. Qb, Wr, DL, LB and secondary all have contracts that aren't paying off.

What would the salary cap hit for Diedrick Mills & Peyton Logan with the Stamps be in comparison to Brady Oliveira & Johnny Augustine with the Bombers? 

7 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

If that's the case Walters is spending an insane amount of his budget on the receiving corps and the offence in general and is getting little return so far for that money spent.

It all starts with the OL & how badly they have played this season. Osh continues to play Kolankowski. Dobson has struggled. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Experimenting with boutique players just to give them a chance... now is not the time. Dl depth has been an issue for multiple years now. They should have guys on thenroster already that we know can play. I don't care where they come from but they shouldn't be dicking around seeing what they can do at this point.

kind of why we in the spot we are...developed nobody....and have nobody available where we have injury issues

20 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Experimenting with boutique players just to give them a chance... now is not the time. Dl depth has been an issue for multiple years now. They should have guys on thenroster already that we know can play. I don't care where they come from but they shouldn't be dicking around seeing what they can do at this point.

This doesn't really make sense to me. If you don't care where they come from then what's the problem? Ogbevoen made the practice roster out of training camp and now he's getting a shot while Garbutt and Haba are injured. That's exactly how it's supposed to work. If Ogbevoen was American I don't think you'd be complaining about him getting on the roster.

Our roster management is at times curious, and probably could be improved...but dang some people are like the Katy Perry song you're hot, then you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're in then you're out..........

They won't make changes, they made changes, the changes are wrong, the changes are right, its not enough, it's too much, he bad and he's good.........

We don't develop guys is a theme, but when we play unknowns it's bad, when a guy with a shiny resume comes on we don't give them a fair chance, but when they get released no one else does either but only we are the bad team for not......

I am not saying we are great in all aspects, or that I understand or agree with every move they make....or heck that I am even remotely correct, but for one reason or another Fayad was not kept and Ogbevoen is getting a shot...maybe he will fall flat, or maybe he is our next Hanson....Heck who on here guessed Hubert would actually look good??

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

fwiw he was listed 236 in feb 

233 at the combine, but listed as 222 on our site. Iirc he was listed 220 ish in the eu too. But even at that, 230 is a real small de, and for a guy who hasn’t played a real game against north American tackles… good luck. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Could be the next Thiadric Hansen, he came in as a "linebacker" as well. I got no problem with letting the kid play and see what he can do.

Hansen was like 250 as a lber though. 

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

This doesn't really make sense to me. If you don't care where they come from then what's the problem? Ogbevoen made the practice roster out of training camp and now he's getting a shot while Garbutt and Haba are injured. That's exactly how it's supposed to work. If Ogbevoen was American I don't think you'd be complaining about him getting on the roster.

The difference between a global guy who played only in Europe and an American who played d1 and likely got an nfl camp invite is gigantic though. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

233 at the combine, but listed as 222 on our site. Iirc he was listed 220 ish in the eu too. But even at that, 230 is a real small de, and for a guy who hasn’t played a real game against north American tackles… good luck. 

Hansen was like 250 as a lber though. 

The difference between a global guy who played only in Europe and an American who played d1 and likely got an nfl camp invite is gigantic though. 

Seems silly to write off a player just because they are European. No question the pedigree is different but this guy played pro football for a year in Europe, won the best defensive player in the league, and went to the NFL's European camp. He's not some scrub. And he's also not coming onto the roster to start at DE. Just get some rotations. It seems like mindless bitching to me.

7 minutes ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Our roster management is at times curious, and probably could be improved...but dang some people are like the Katy Perry song you're hot, then you're cold, you're yes then you're no, you're in then you're out..........

They won't make changes, they made changes, the changes are wrong, the changes are right, its not enough, it's too much, he bad and he's good.........

We don't develop guys is a theme, but when we play unknowns it's bad, when a guy with a shiny resume comes on we don't give them a fair chance, but when they get released no one else does either but only we are the bad team for not......

I am not saying we are great in all aspects, or that I understand or agree with every move they make....or heck that I am even remotely correct, but for one reason or another Fayad was not kept and Ogbevoen is getting a shot...maybe he will fall flat, or maybe he is our next Hanson....Heck who on here guessed Hubert would actually look good??

No kidding. When they brought Fayad back, people whined that he must be an O'Shea favourite, why couldn't they bring back Upshaw instead, etc. Then he gets cut and again, it's an O'Shea problem. It's just become dumb at this point.

10 hours ago, bigg jay said:

To be fair to Osh, he probably has no say in this.  We know how he feels about media so I'm sure he would love not to have to do any of this kind of thing.

Didn’t have to give this kind of quote though

“I love the way Redha plays football, his passion for the game. And he’s got that ability to be a prick, and that’s a good thing on the football field.”