Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

I'll be the first to agree that there's a lot of bitching for the sake of bitching but that's what a losing season does to some people - perspective goes out the window and they beat the same drum over and over.  That said, the roster right now is a mess and it's exasperated by the sheer number of injuries we've had this year.  

5 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Love seeing 11 Canadian starters.

u the only one...for what reason would you "list" 11 as a starter...and they get majority of reps...when you dont have to...and you have better options in lieu of them?...If u get a big steamer out od watching Canadians play...go support yhour local University..Junior or grass roots league...Its pointless what Osh is doing...doesnt give us the best roster...and the epic slop we been served far too often this past while is a direct reflection of it

17 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

So Garbutt even at a minimum salary will have to wait for his 6 games to expire while we go essentially a man short on the defensive line again. Yes im disrespecting Ogbevoen. 

I'm counting 11 Canadian starters at least 4 of which would be easily upgraded by a replacement level american. 

Not true.  Just because they're American doesn't mean they're an upgrade.  Clercius deserves to start over any American rookie.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Not true.  Just because they're American doesn't mean they're an upgrade.  Clercius deserves to start over any American rookie.

How is what i said untrue.  I'm suggesting that 4 could be easily upgraded by a replacement level american.. I never said all 11.  Im counting the 3 offensive lineman and thomas as easily upgraded by an american. 

Testiment to how poor our scouting is this year that we don:t have a import true de available other than jefferson. Also to how stubborn O'Shea is ,Lucky should be in,,Johnson has shown nothing , and wilson for all the opportunity is awful

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Testiment to how poor our scouting is this year that we don:t have a import true de available other than jefferson. Also to how stubborn O'Shea is ,Lucky should be in,,Johnson has shown nothing , and wilson for all the opportunity is awful

Johnson is coming along and has shown more than Wilson ever has .. have to give these guys who are 4th / 5th in line for targets a bit of time.

I also wouldn't rush Lucky into the lineup either .. want him to last more than a single game.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Im not sure it falls under scouting necessarily. A lot of people were excited about some of the prospects we brought in to camps. We brought a lot D-Linemen and receivers into camp the issue is O’Shea cut almost every rookie that looked promising. What’s Walters and the scouting department suppose to do when O’Shea refuses to use or keep young Americans coming in?

Fayad must have been dating O'Shea's daughter or something. What the heck is the rationale of cutting him for an obviously inferior global this week. Not saying Fayad should be here long term but jeeze how did it make sense if you weren't going to pull Garbutt off the 6 game early?

32 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Didn’t have to give this kind of quote though

“I love the way Redha plays football, his passion for the game. And he’s got that ability to be a prick, and that’s a good thing on the football field.”

A prick that plays to the line versus a prick that plays past the line.

Huge difference.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Fayad must have been dating O'Shea's daughter or something. What the heck is the rationale of cutting him for an obviously inferior global this week. Not saying Fayad should be here long term but jeeze how did it make sense if you weren't going to pull Garbutt off the 6 game early?

Or .. he's just not that good.  To be honest, Hubert has shown more than Fayad.  I'm not terribly upset with Fayad being dropped.

Yeah. Don’t think fayad is the hill to die on. He wasn’t great outside the first gsme. Had no stats last game. The playing inferior players over better ones is gonna oshea fired tho. I’m thinking sooner than we all think. I don’t see how we win this week so 1 and 5 ain’t looking good. I’d imagine a few more repeats and it’s over for Mike 

Edited by Goalie

I don't think our scouting has been that bad this year. Its more a roster management issue. A lot of it has how they tightly manage the salary cap. I don't doubt there's some decent players we could bring in that our scouting staff has scouted but for this or that other reason the team is choosing to wait. 

I actually think Ontaria Wilson is starting to come along a bit. Hard to judge when you're not giving guys many targets these days.  But I think we scouted well enough with Chris Smith, Woods, Bonds, Ayers, Johnson, and Adams. And we have an excellent draft class.  Clercius, Hubert, and Wallace come to mind first. 

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yeah. Don’t think fayad is the hill to die on. He wasn’t great outside the first gsme. Had no stats last game. The playing inferior players over better ones is gonna get him fired tho. 

Stats don't always tell the whole picture (I know you know that but I'm just saying) .. for me it was his inability to set an edge, he lacked physicality, was unable to fight across a block and often got lost in a sea of bodies.   We were REALLY spoiled having a guy like Jeffcoat on our roster - that is the standard these guys are trying to hit.

12 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Fayad out. Lucky O on. So we’re playing with 1 less American than we can. Wonderful. 

yup...typical Osh....and nothing is gonna change...unless injury...and even then he still can't do it right

11 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

How is what i said untrue.  I'm suggesting that 4 could be easily upgraded by a replacement level american.. I never said all 11.  Im counting the 3 offensive lineman and thomas as easily upgraded by an american. 

you are totally correct...Save for Ford...None the others on defense are an upgrade over what we could give reps to

Clecius I agree should be given every opportunity possible..Dude will be a stud...already is

7 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Just catching up. Our back up DE tomorrow is a European linebacker?

yup

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Im not sure it falls under scouting necessarily. A lot of people were excited about some of the prospects we brought in to camps. We brought a lot D-Linemen and receivers into camp the issue is O’Shea cut almost every rookie that looked promising. What’s Walters and the scouting department suppose to do when O’Shea refuses to use or keep young Americans coming in?

this...we could have also kept Fayed for now...and dumped Mcghee...who was on PR last yr...and again this yr with 2 rookies and Griffen ahead of him...as well as Ford...so we keeping him again because?????...just flat out poor management...again

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

A prick that plays to the line versus a prick that plays past the line.

Huge difference.

prick needs to be good and a difference maker...huge point to consider too...Kramdi...is neither...he's adequately average at best and makes too many mistakes for a 4th yr guy

6 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Or .. just not that good.  To be honest, Huebert has shown more than Fayad.

Thomas has showed less than both...well any dline guy we rostered

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Yeah. Don’t think fayad is the hill to die on. He wasn’t great outside the first gsme. Had no stats last game. The playing inferior players over better ones is gonna oshea fired tho. I’m thinking sooner than we all think. I don’t see how we win this week so 1 and 5 ain’t looking good. I’d imagine a few more repeats and it’s over for Mike 

I have to disagree with you on O'Shea being fired.  (Note: this is my opinion on what the organization would realistically do its not my opinion on what they should do.) It would take a monumental non-football event for him to get fired anytime soon. He lead us out of the wilderness and into the promised land.   If anything he'll get more leash than a normal head coach to have 2 Grey Cup wins and 4 appearances in 4 years... not less leash. He'd have to miss the playoffs this year and next to get fired. There's also the coaches cap to consider.  They'd have to find someone internally who's essentially willing to coach the team for no extra pay. The only person I could see being willing to do that at their current pay is Walters. 

2 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

And our starter is an 8th round rookie!

He was an elite selection. 

Edited by Colin Unger

7 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I have to disagree with you on O'Shea being fired.  It would take a monumental non-football event for him to get fired anytime soon. He lead us out of the wilderness and into the promised land.   If anything he'll get more leash than a normal head coach to have 2 Grey Cup wins and 4 appearances in 4 years... not less leash. He'd have to miss the playoffs this year and next to get fired. There's also the coaches cap to consider.  They'd have to find someone internally who's essentially willing to coach the team for no extra pay. The only person I could see being willing to do that at their current pay is Walters. 

You also think collaros is our best option to win so not sure if you watching games from 4 years ago here but the roster management and other issues will get him fired sooner than you think. You really think Walters and wade gonna let this crap continue all season? Go 1 and 8 1 and 9 and guess what? Ppl won’t buy tickets. O’Shea is playing with fire here. Winnipeg is a smart football city. We all know the deal. If most of us can see this you don’t think wade or Kyle will. The roster is being handicapped weekly. 

Edited by Goalie