Blue Bombers - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Gauthier has hardly seen the field for defensive snaps so far...I wonder if it's because Osh doesn't want to expose the fact that a pedestrian foot soldier linebacker will show more than our high paid gotta have vet whether he healthy or not LB....

Seems to be a trend where platooning certain players versus starting them would be a good adjustment with the existing roster we are working with.

I know Captain Obvious.

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

yeah, Harris / Mitchell / Collaros don't seem to have many miles left on them although the former two are playing well.  MBT is an older guy too. 

while we're talking about Redblacks QBs, I'm glad to see that Tyree Adams is back on the active roster.  Poor dude won his first start last year but took a season-ending injury from it. Masoli is still six-gamed; wonder who the odd guy out will be when he returns.

Has to be Masoli, pointless tying up so much of their cap on 2 starting QB's.

Edited by Fatty Liver

38 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Has to be Masoli, pointless tying up so much of their cap on 2 starting QB's.

Masoli renegotiated his deal this past winter.  Dunno whether it's a friendly enough deal to roster both him and Brown, but he's not making the undisputed starter money he got in 2022-2023.

On 2024-07-11 at 10:12 AM, Colin Unger said:

I don't think our scouting has been that bad this year. Its more a roster management issue. A lot of it has how they tightly manage the salary cap. I don't doubt there's some decent players we could bring in that our scouting staff has scouted but for this or that other reason the team is choosing to wait. 

I actually think Ontaria Wilson is starting to come along a bit. Hard to judge when you're not giving guys many targets these days.  But I think we scouted well enough with Chris Smith, Woods, Bonds, Ayers, Johnson, and Adams. And we have an excellent draft class.  Clercius, Hubert, and Wallace come to mind first. 

This section of this post as aged tremendously well. 

Amazing to see the Bombers pull this out with 11 starting Canadians. Pretty remarkable and totally unnecessary

Good signs for the future:

Development of young WRs, especially Pokey. 

Collaros finding his groove after the second interception

Olivera back-to-back strong games

Defense and special teams having big plays

ST coverage units showing more consistency

Bad signs for the future:

DL looked abysmal at times. WJ not wreaking havoc consistently. Too much Jake. Too much Hubert. Where's the American DE? Hopefully Garbutt helps.

Biggie is over the hill. And I don't expect the team to move on until next season at the earliest that's just not how they operate with vets

BA is cooked as well. No clear replacement in house. Maybe Michael Griffin? Not sure if Osh would be willing to make a change.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I make it a habit of going back into my posts and quoting them when I’m right the 1 out of 10 times I muse about something. I’m kind of a big thing. :)

Hmmmmmm burner account for someone else......?? 

4 hours ago, bluedawg said:

Amazing to see the Bombers pull this out with 11 starting Canadians. Pretty remarkable and totally unnecessary

Good signs for the future:

Development of young WRs, especially Pokey. 

Collaros finding his groove after the second interception

Olivera back-to-back strong games

Defense and special teams having big plays

ST coverage units showing more consistency

Bad signs for the future:

DL looked abysmal at times. WJ not wreaking havoc consistently. Too much Jake. Too much Hubert. Where's the American DE? Hopefully Garbutt helps.

Biggie is over the hill. And I don't expect the team to move on until next season at the earliest that's just not how they operate with vets

BA is cooked as well. No clear replacement in house. Maybe Michael Griffin? Not sure if Osh would be willing to make a change.

I think it was said WJ had missed 8 defensive snaps on yr...even in his prime he was never an everydown DE...most great ones need the rotation rest...or an inside set of lineman creating blocking issues and freeing guys up..he isn't getting that help on all his snaps...and isn't getting the needed rotation. 

He has played really good last 2 ..3 games this yr tho....prob cause he's getting needlessly conditioned to this...so imagine when we do put out 7 other solid guys...my only fear is he will get hurt before that with all the reps...then everyone will really see how not having him will cripple us

45 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Anyone hear anything about when Lawson might be back? He’d make a world of difference. 

Parker too, he could get BA out of a starting role, either directly or indirectly. 

I think Lawson is out very long term. 

No clue on Parker. 

Agree those two would make a huge difference. 

That was one heck of an exciting game last night. It definitely kept me in my seat to the end. I thought that after an atrocious start Collaros settled down and played well. Buck called an interesting game but it was effective in the end. This Wilson kid looked really good with several tough catches. (In the other game that I was at against BC, he dropped a couple that might have changed the outcome.) I hope he's for real. Oliveira looked really good once they started giving him the ball. Our defence though was another story. Thankfully, Calgary's D was terrible too. I think that most fans (except for one of the ladies sitting right in front of me) can see that Bighill is done. He did not have a good game. He couldn't cover receivers out of the backfield and was ineffective stopping the run. Until there is a change down the middle on D, Thomas (plays too many snaps), Bighill and Alexander (not playing safety like he used to and seems afraid to tackle with any proper technique), the O is going to have to score a heck of a lot of points. A very tall order.

Also, Castillo is really good. Special teams are coming around (I think that Miller is going to be a very good coach.) and I'm even sort of coming around to our Aussie punter, sort of.

22 hours ago, Booch said:

Holmboy at safety...and I would bet Holm would become a pickin' machine at free safety.

Real sure tackling too.  just love the way he closes and takes down his man.

tho ... he's pretty slight ... wonder how he'd do against an RB coming downhill straight at him ..

Well it was said by several but we have a problem in the middle with our D. Thomas Bighill Alexander are liabilities. I think if you tell them it’s time and replace them the D dramatically improves 

2 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Real sure tackling too.  just love the way he closes and takes down his man.

tho ... he's pretty slight ... wonder how he'd do against an RB coming downhill straight at him ..

Holm would be an amazing safety. He spent all game yesterday cleaning up after the front 7.

12 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

That was one heck of an exciting game last night. It definitely kept me in my seat to the end. I thought that after an atrocious start Collaros settled down and played well. Buck called an interesting game but it was effective in the end. This Wilson kid looked really good with several tough catches. (In the other game that I was at against BC, he dropped a couple that might have changed the outcome.) I hope he's for real. Oliveira looked really good once they started giving him the ball. Our defence though was another story. Thankfully, Calgary's D was terrible too. I think that most fans (except for one of the ladies sitting right in front of me) can see that Bighill is done. He did not have a good game. He couldn't cover receivers out of the backfield and was ineffective stopping the run. Until there is a change down the middle on D, Thomas (plays too many snaps), Bighill and Alexander (not playing safety like he used to and seems afraid to tackle with any proper technique), the O is going to have to score a heck of a lot of points. A very tall order.

Also, Castillo is really good. Special teams are coming around (I think that Miller is going to be a very good coach.) and I'm even sort of coming around to our Aussie punter, sort of.

You had me right until the punter part. :) We need a punter who can kick to the sidelines with enough hang time so the coverage can get under it. It’s a formula in football that has stood the test of time. Sure throw in the odd fast ball kick to change it up but don’t make it your bread and butter. Calgary proved it last night with their punting.

Edited by HardCoreBlue