CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, Mike said:

I’d love to see us bring in Shawn Oakman but there’s zero chance we do 

agreed...on both.....we need some of what he brings....but we have Thomas blocking him...or Bennett...Kongbo....cause Osh thinks u just cant stop him....friggin joke

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I love what the guy brings. But it’s pretty low priority Imo. Adam’s is a monster woods is damned good. Fox is a beast.  Thomas has compromising pictures of mos. 
 Oakman Adam’s fox rotation would be insane. 

put Oakman into the DI spot on the DB we rarely used and add him to that first game mix....Jettison Thomas and replace with Kelley when he back....or any other Canadian DB type with a heartbeat...problem solved and u have an insane crazy front

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

agreed...on both.....we need some of what he brings....but we have Thomas blocking him...or Bennett...Kongbo....cause Osh thinks u just cant stop him....friggin joke

put Oakman into the DI spot on the DB we rarely used and add him to that first game mix....Jettison Thomas and replace with Kelley when he back....or any other Canadian DB type with a heartbeat...problem solved and u have an insane crazy front

Yep sure would be nice. 

imagine running a bear front with, wj pass rushing on the nose, Adam’s and Oakman playing 2 technique, then Habba in a 5 taking a tight angle speed rush around the edge and Cole on the other side taking a wide angle speed route around the tackle on the other side. 5 rushers, massive disruption in the pocket. 
 You could drop guys out of that look, twist guys, run a 1 and 2i/3 twist, you can have a mac spy and play a decent medium zone in case an A gap running route opens. But most qbs don’t want the risk of a 5 yard gain running through an interior gap. 

would be an insane defense...but we will run Thomas just standing in place trying to bullrush with zero technique...a gassed WJ off the edge and a guy like Kramdi doing nothing out of the ordinary....sprinkle in a few Fox and Adams tandems....and let Woods rot onthe PR and then leave next yr o actually "play" elsewhere while we scuffle trying to implement another totally new guy into the mix...thats the tried and true lose multiple cups in a row way

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Booch said:

would be an insane defense...but we will run Thomas just standing in place trying to bullrush with zero technique...a gassed WJ off the edge and a guy like Kramdi doing nothing out of the ordinary....sprinkle in a few Fox and Adams tandems....and let Woods rot onthe PR and then leave next yr o actually "play" elsewhere while we scuffle trying to implement another totally new guy into the mix...thats the tried and true lose multiple cups in a row way

Watching Thomas get stood right up, arms waving and feet pitter pattering in place, is depressing.  Other times I saw him get off is block to get after the opposing rb but no way his legs could keep with what his eyes were telling him… and that was just week one :(

4 minutes ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Watching Thomas get stood right up, arms waving and feet pitter pattering in place, is depressing.  Other times I saw him get off is block to get after the opposing rb but no way his legs could keep with what his eyes were telling him… and that was just week one :(

and continuation of 2022...2023....but good to see someone else actually sees that...watch for his backside pursuit...or lack there of...or him behind the play tippy toe joggin up to the play post whistle....Then watch Adams..Fox...and Woods when dressed come ripping in outta nowhere....impacting the play or bringing a guy down from behind....and ask yourself...why???....just why??

Just now, 17to85 said:

You've hated Thomas from day one though,  brief period when he was playing relatively decently you quieted down on it, but Thomas safe to say is a guy who has never been your type of player.

yeah you are correct...I not into middling average players....especially when you can field better. And I come from the land of you earn your spot...every week, and have to hold on to it...every week or you lose said spot, also from a land where if there was a better option, and it dictated or required a roster/ratio shuffle....you did it.....was a good land....successful land.....and most importantly not a foriegn land as pretty much every team in the league is in that land...we are in the land of the lost almost now

I would add lost-a-step-or-two Bighill to the list of ageing vets who are a liability out there, along with Alexander and Collaros. It's almost like the team feels hamstrung with those big salaries and figures they can't afford to sit them. Maybe if the result is a bunch of losses in the first half of the season they'll wake up and focus on mentoring and mixing in younger players.

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Don't get me wrong I'd have fired Thomas into the sun last season, but you like the athletes who pop off the page to a fault. Thomas for a lot of years was a good soldier on the team. He's just washed up now.

I like Fatboi when he’s the rotational lineman coming in for the odd snap here and there to get one of those fat white guy bowling ball sacks

I don’t like when we act as if he’s Ted Laurent

14 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Don't get me wrong I'd have fired Thomas into the sun last season, but you like the athletes who pop off the page to a fault. Thomas for a lot of years was a good soldier on the team. He's just washed up now.

I like athletes who can perform the job....and be an adequate back-up if need be.....Thomas was at one point an edequate backup....with 20..30% of rep total....never should have been what we used him as...especially the last 3..4 yrs

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I like Fatboi when he’s the rotational lineman coming in for the odd snap here and there to get one of those fat white guy bowling ball sacks

yeah...this here...that being said...that role now should be Scmeck's and Samson's to grow into...6 to 8 snaps a game isnt gonna kill us.....That also is only while Lawson is on the IR....If he wasnt then he is an actual defacto 70% rep guy

Edited by Booch

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

To be fair, football across all levels and leagues loves athletes who pop off the page above all other attributes. 
 I mean gable Stevenson just got an nfl contract having never played a snap of football at any level. Not even pop warner. 
 The attitude in football has always been take the athlete, and make them a player. Use strategy and tactics to cover for them and exploit their talents in the mean time. 

It’s not the only time we’ve seen this, lesnar, to Olympic sprinters, to pitchers quitting in the minors to play football etc. 

Football, has the highest barrier for entry in terms of athleticism and size. If you look at our roster, we have a bunch of guys with middling experience at best in football at the last level. 
 You make your roster around the athletically dominant, and fill in the rest with low ceiling high floor blood n guts role guys like Thomas and hallett.

We are trying to build a sky scraper with no beams and 70% glue. 

what I dont understand...or get the reasoning for is as per the ratio rules...every team has to start 8 nationals....though one of which has to be a Nationalized American...You need 21 Nationals..including that Nationalized American

You need 19 Americans...15 regular roster guys...and 4 DI's....this does not include QB's and the Nationalized American...so in essance he is further limiting ou roster not allowing us that coveted extra import body...something every other single team in the league does...again...I guess we jut lucked out with the 1 out of 9 genius who sees this as being disadvantagious

How does he get to not follow the letter of the rules?...Is it cause he said to the league hey....I'll do you a solid and start 3 extra Canadians instead cause I am fricken Mike Oshea..Canadian coach dammit and I will do what I want? Or because the 8 other teams were agreeable to it and said go for it...knowing it makes our roster weaker?

Why Walters and or Miller aren't slappin him upside the head for neuturing us needlessly is just baffling. And how some supporters here defend this crap is even more baffling

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

what I dont understand...or get the reasoning for is as per the ratio rules...every team has to start 8 nationals....though one of which has to be a Nationalized American...You need 21 Nationals..including that Nationalized American

You need 19 Americans...15 regular roster guys...and 4 DI's....this does not include QB's and the Nationalized American...so in essance he is further limiting ou roster not allowing us that coveted extra import body...something every other single team in the league does...again...I guess we jut lucked out with the 1 out of 9 genius who sees this as being disadvantagious

How does he get to not follow the letter of the rules?...Is it cause he said to the league hey....I'll do you a solid and start 3 extra Canadians instead cause I am fricken Mike Oshea..Canadian coach dammit and I will do what I want? Or because the 8 other teams were agreeable to it and said go for it...knowing it makes our roster weaker?

Why Walters and or Miller aren't slappin him upside the head for neuturing us needlessly is just baffling. And how some supporters here defend this crap is even more baffling

I’m pretty surprised Miller even allows this to continue at this point. I guess he’s a businessman first and foremost but you have to think he isn’t as shortsighted as to believe this is good for business long term.

A complete fall off the cliff and coinciding rebuild isn’t good for the bottom line.

Just now, Mike said:

I’m pretty surprised Miller even allows this to continue at this point. I guess he’s a businessman first and foremost but you have to think he isn’t as shortsighted as to believe this is good for business long term.

A complete fall off the cliff and coinciding rebuild isn’t good for the bottom line.

it's part of what has irked me for over 2 yrs now....it's almost a dog wagging the tail thing again....but the fact our management is actually ok with this....strikes me as odd...but we are totally not being allowed to put out our best roster because of the HC...to me that don't fly

when this was all negotiated and voted on...they deleted the need to scratch a guy to allow the same amount of Canadians to dress game day, so as not to take a job away....so the excuse it took a Canadian spot off the active game day roster also doesnt fly...cause thats innacurrate...I forgot to add that part.....which makes this even more ridiculous to not use it if it's a matter of his Candian Pride being hurt

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Yep...Fatboi, at no point in is career, was ever capable of more than 25% reps per game. 

41 minutes ago, Booch said:

It's teams have to start 8 Nationals, one of which CAN BE a nationalized American.  Not teams have to have 8 national, with one BEING a Nationalized American.

It's an option, not mandatory that the 8th has to be a nationalized American .

16 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

It's teams have to start 8 Nationals, one of which CAN BE a nationalized American.  Not teams have to have 8 national, with one BEING a Nationalized American.

It's an option, not mandatory that the 8th has to be a nationalized American .

No...rules says 8...one of which has to be...also hence the game day roster increase of 1 player and no more scratches

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Booch said:

No...rules says 8...one of which has to be...also hence the game day roster increase of 1 player and no more scratches

Look again the word is MAY not MUST.

https://www.cfl.ca/game-rule-ratio/#:~:text=One Nationalized American player may,of the eight National starters.&text=A Club must start at,may be a Nationalized American.

Edited by CrazyCanuck89

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Yes...it also says 21 Nationals.. one of which to be a nationalized American....regardless how you disect it...we aren't doing it....and it denies us the ability to have an extra import on the roster...as well as use the mationalized import for Canadian reps...which is just plain stupidity...arrogance...or whatever you wanna call it.

Being the only team not doing it says volumes...just like starting an American FB who you have to waste a DI spot on ...the only team to make that pointless...and idiotic move...actually in the history of the game...says even more

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Guy is a douchebag but his actions lead to us getting Streveler and Biggie and that helped us win the cup in 2019 so I can't totally hate him.