CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

There is NO redemption for what the Betenator did....He's a total liability to the league and quite frankly the less I hear about that jerk the better...Look up the Pete Rose story about a 'star' baseball player who bet on MLB games and how his career and legacey were destroyed...He says today it simply wasn't worth it.....BUT 'bets laid'....'bed made' and a lesson for professional athletes learned......hopefully

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

There is NO redemption for what the Betenator did....He's a total liability to the league and quite frankly the less I hear about that jerk the better...Look up the Pete Rose story about a 'star' baseball player who bet on MLB games and how his career and legacey were destroyed...He says today it simply wasn't worth it.....BUT 'bets laid'....'bed made' and a lesson for professional athletes learned......hopefully

18 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

They banned Marino. Why not Lemon? Hell, revoke his work visa.

Marino was not under contract with anyone and the league sent out a memo to all teams saying they would not register a new contract for him.  It's a bit different for Lemon since he already has a league approved contract.  I can't recall them ever revoking an existing contract like that - not sure if they could without the union filing a grievance.  The Al's could just do the right thing and cut him (like the Riders did with Marino) & let the league get rid of him once and for all but that would take some class and apparently they do not have any.

Pretty sure the league has and is doing everything in it's power to have Lemon finished...but he is protected by his union and processes that have to play out...sometimes the protections Unions provide seem questionable but it's the process that is required, all indications are based on the leagues stance and that of the independent arbitrator that Lemon is on borrowed time, but he is well within his rights to do what he is doing.

Ethics can be questioned but Mtrl. does not have to release or discipline him, similar to Kelly the team must feel he is worth the risk...

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Marino was not under contract with anyone and the league sent out a memo to all teams saying they would not register a new contract for him.  It's a bit different for Lemon since he already has a league approved contract.  I can't recall them ever revoking an existing contract like that - not sure if they could without the union filing a grievance.  The Al's could just do the right thing and cut him (like the Riders did with Marino) & let the league get rid of him once and for all but that would take some class and apparently they do not have any.

Nate Holley.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nate Holley.

He didn't have an active registered contract though, they refused to register the new contract the Argos had signed him to (same thing they warned they would do with Marino if someone tried to sign him).

1 hour ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

Pretty sure the league has and is doing everything in it's power to have Lemon finished...but he is protected by his union and processes that have to play out...sometimes the protections Unions provide seem questionable but it's the process that is required, all indications are based on the leagues stance and that of the independent arbitrator that Lemon is on borrowed time, but he is well within his rights to do what he is doing.

Ethics can be questioned but Mtrl. does not have to release or discipline him, similar to Kelly the team must feel he is worth the risk...

There have been a multitude of situations where the process doesn't require the player being allowed at team facility or even to play games.  That is foolishness especially given the allegations.

I'd imagine Lemon will be in some legal trouble if he bet on games he played in, especially if he bet online.  They've been pursuing these cases as wire fraud.

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/07/11/toronto-argonauts-president-bill-manning-mlse-mutually-parts-ways/

wonder if this has any thing to do with the Kelly situation… maybe the league let him fall on his sword rather than be tied to all this stuff 

I would guess it has more to do with Toronto FC. I doubt the Argos move the needle on many of MLSEs decisions.

9 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I would guess it has more to do with Toronto FC. I doubt the Argos move the needle on many of MLSEs decisions.

I can see that, but at the same time if he was barred from the cfl as a president and stayed on in the same office for the rest of mlse that’s a possible $&@% storm.  

https://3downnation.com/2024/07/15/edmonton-elks-fire-head-coach-and-general-manager-chris-jones/

At long last, the cfl is free of Chris jones once again. I wonder how long it’ll last this time… I could see him getting another dc shot in the off season unfortunately. 

Edm is better than their record and could imo bounce back. 

30 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

2025 Edmonton Elks - GM Simon HC Pierce - Book it!

Dare to dream. 

14 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

61-70 record as a head coach. Always coached extremely undisciplined teams, not a guy I would want around my team in any capacity. 

qft 

I wonder if they will look to move mbt. That could be an interesting shake up in the league. If not, I wouldn’t mind getting ford cheap. I’d rather run him through the Strev package and groom big Chris as an actual qb.