CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Just now, GCJenks said:

I don't understand why Lucky is here if they aren't going to play him. There is no way that he can't provide more than what some of the guys they are sending out there can do.

They did that in 2021 with Roosevelt & last year with Ambles.  Ambles could have actually played last year with how beat up Schoen was but he didn't,  Why they sign these guys if you have no intention of putting them on the field?

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

They did that in 2021 with Roosevelt & last year with Ambles.  Ambles could have actually played last year with how beat up Schoen was but he didn't,  Why they sign these guys if you have no intention of putting them on the field?

you mean Schoen...and Bailey....and Demski...all 3 were pointless being out there

forgot to add...Bighill as well...and sprinkle in a couple poor roster moves on top...and a few guys BOLO and there was another I cant recall...he didnt even step on the field...and well the result was not shocking...and the beat goes on this yr....and the record reflects

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

I don't understand why Lucky is here if they aren't going to play him. There is no way that he can't provide more than what some of the guys they are sending out there can do.

Shape is a factor too.  He wasn't in any training camp or anything.  Not really surprised he's basically getting his camp in now.  Could just pop him on and hope the hamstring lasts.

He's entirely not the kind of receiver we need though.  Biggest issue right now is our QB's gotta be perfect, or the playcall needs to be perfect to get these guys open because we have a bunch of 5'9 guys running around with Wolitarsky bracketed and Clercius out there sometimes too.  There's no space, no one who can make space, no one who can make a contested catch.  Real easy to defend.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

It’s so funny how predictable it is at this point

It’s weird - I find myself thinking we don’t really have a spot for Rasheed. Although I hope we find one.

Lawler, Wilson, Demski, Wolitarsky, Bailey instead of Lucky I guess?

Why the hell is Wilson there in pen?  Guy has been awful aside from one game.  Haven't seen a guy get more opportunity to fail since probably Nic Grigsby and his all time record of 0 tackles broken by a tailback.  If we want to win there's no way in hell we have him and Whitehead on the field/roster at the same time.

Bailey easily takes Schoen's spot.  He's not as good but should be a pretty solid 1000 yard guy in that spot.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Shape is a factor too.  He wasn't in any training camp or anything.  Not really surprised he's basically getting his camp in now.  Could just pop him on and hope the hamstring lasts.

He's entirely not the kind of receiver we need though.  Biggest issue right now is our QB's gotta be perfect, or the playcall needs to be perfect to get these guys open because we have a bunch of 5'9 guys running around with Wolitarsky bracketed and Clercius out there sometimes too.  There's no space, no one who can make space, no one who can make a contested catch.  Real easy to defend.

Why the hell is Wilson there in pen?  Guy has been awful aside from one game.  Haven't seen a guy get more opportunity to fail since probably Nic Grigsby and his all time record of 0 tackles broken by a tailback.  If we want to win there's no way in hell we have him and Whitehead on the field/roster at the same time.

Bailey easily takes Schoen's spot.  He's not as good but should be a pretty solid 1000 yard guy in that spot.

Wilson is going to be a good one. He did have his struggles last week when the Riders made shutting him down a focal point. He battled through and eventually started to break free from it and made an incredible catch to give the team hope later in the game. It was a big league catch in my opinion that only the special receivers in this league make. He's going to be fine especially when we have more receivers in the lineup who will garner more attention.  

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Release Whitehead and sign Bailey. Its a no brainer.

Agree with this.  Or just keep Whitehead around for insurance. He's the new Namaan Roosevelt. 

12 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Release Whitehead and the chance of Bailey signing here goes down. 

I doubt it.  Bombers have already been in contact with Bailey's agent, according to Jeff Hamilton.  Sheed also re-signed with us while Lucky was in BC so while they are friends, it's not like they are a package deal.  

3 hours ago, GCJenks said:

cause walters signed him and he isnt one of OSheas guys. Same reasson as we had Jackson all last year, that we havent replaced others.

11 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Sign Bailey... then release lucky :)

release Whitehead would be dumb...He can play...knows "how" to find space in the CFL...and he "can" return if need be...You release Mitchell...who knows neither...you release or bury Johnson on PR for "next yr" as he has shown not much and his very green to the Canadian game and needs to have a yr on PR learning....not forced to learn under on the fly like we are doing....You release Alston as he was not good enough before in Osh eyes...even with 3 recievers bagned up to close out 2023...and was also cut this yr once before.....

We seen last 3....4 games that these green guys are not helping out the overall offence performance one bit....and if we re gonna run with ZC all yr...he needs guys who know soft spots...and guys he is familiar with

This yr if we have a quartet of Lawler..Demski..Woli and Bailey....we can allow a Wilson to grow......and used in rotation with a guy like Whitehead....and at same time have another guy..or 2...Wheatfall and Johnson learn from the PR....So that 2025 they hit ground running....Keeping the extra 2..3 others now is pointless....we have needs elsewhere. We are gonna have Lawler and Schoen..Demski...Clericus and Woli back for sure next yr....so you round out the 5th and extra guy with who we groomed this yr,,,,and restck the cupboard as how mentioned this yr...we dont do that

Thats also what should be on the PR in lieu of some of the dead weight...DE's and LB's for same purpose...but it appears as long as Osh is in full command or not having to justify his roster...we are gonna be saddled with "his" guys and poor choices, and not develop anyone

48 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Wilson is going to be a good one. He did have his struggles last week when the Riders made shutting him down a focal point. He battled through and eventually started to break free from it and made an incredible catch to give the team hope later in the game. It was a big league catch in my opinion that only the special receivers in this league make. He's going to be fine especially when we have more receivers in the lineup who will garner more attention.  

Agree with this.  Or just keep Whitehead around for insurance. He's the new Namaan Roosevelt. 

Wilson needs to catch the ball.  Especially as a smaller guy.  Can't be going at every pass with weak hands and bracing yourself with the ground or your pads to catch the ball.  If he doesn't start catching with strong hands he shouldn't be here long.  Need some ability to make contested plays in this league.  Otherwise get good at returning kicks or something useful.

13 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Not an O'Shea favourite.

20 hours ago, Booch said:

release Whitehead would be dumb...He can play...knows "how" to find space in the CFL...and he "can" return if need be...You release Mitchell...who knows neither...you release or bury Johnson on PR for "next yr" as he has shown not much and his very green to the Canadian game and needs to have a yr on PR learning....not forced to learn under on the fly like we are doing....You release Alston as he was not good enough before in Osh eyes...even with 3 recievers bagned up to close out 2023...and was also cut this yr once before.....

We seen last 3....4 games that these green guys are not helping out the overall offence performance one bit....and if we re gonna run with ZC all yr...he needs guys who know soft spots...and guys he is familiar with

This yr if we have a quartet of Lawler..Demski..Woli and Bailey....we can allow a Wilson to grow......and used in rotation with a guy like Whitehead....and at same time have another guy..or 2...Wheatfall and Johnson learn from the PR....So that 2025 they hit ground running....Keeping the extra 2..3 others now is pointless....we have needs elsewhere. We are gonna have Lawler and Schoen..Demski...Clericus and Woli back for sure next yr....so you round out the 5th and extra guy with who we groomed this yr,,,,and restck the cupboard as how mentioned this yr...we dont do that

Thats also what should be on the PR in lieu of some of the dead weight...DE's and LB's for same purpose...but it appears as long as Osh is in full command or not having to justify his roster...we are gonna be saddled with "his" guys and poor choices, and not develop anyone

Woah woah slow down with that progressive thinking. We're more of a square peg round hole team. And you need to be a certain type of square peg (Canadian or army veteran) to be considered.

20 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Wilson needs to catch the ball.  Especially as a smaller guy.  Can't be going at every pass with weak hands and bracing yourself with the ground or your pads to catch the ball.  If he doesn't start catching with strong hands he shouldn't be here long.  Need some ability to make contested plays in this league.  Otherwise get good at returning kicks or something useful.

I agree his catch rate needs to increase.  I don't however consider him a smaller guy. At 6 feet tall i'd say he's average at worst for a CFL receiver. He's going to have the height advantage over most CFL defensive backs. 

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

CFL will be his last resort. He's made it pretty clear that he has no interest playing here.

I thought he just said the other day he'd love to come back to the BC Lions when/if his NFL door closes. It seems like his door is pretty close to being closed right now. 

30 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Rourke cut. Let the hand wringing begin. Even though I very much doubt he will be back In the league this year and we can’t afford him. 

I don't think we will really benefit from him coming back even in this offseason. He's made it clear his first choice is BC.  Unless BC decides to stick with Adams Jr. which i don't think they would do we are kind of screwed. BC can sign Rourke and trade Adams Jr. to Hamilton or a different out of the division team.   Even if BC wins the cup and they decide to stick with Adams Jr we'd have to be sure that we could move Zach to a different team who would take on Zach's gaurenteed money in order to be able to negotiate with Rourke who will no double become the highest paid player in the CFL.  And just about every team in the league will go after him so why would he sign with a non-playoff team that doesn't have its **** together.

35 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Rourke cut. Let the hand wringing begin. Even though I very much doubt he will be back In the league this year and we can’t afford him. 

If u cut Collaros, u can afford him no?

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

CFL will be his last resort. He's made it pretty clear that he has no interest playing here.

He was 4th on the Giants. What’s less then that?