CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

This is it, Bombers as a whole are more patient that fans. And given the number of wins and a couple close plays here and there from 4 time champs (regardless of everything being said on here) is a very easy sell for management to give more rope to people. 

Yup agree but I'm hoping that they have a good handle on the difference between being patient to being stubborn.

22 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup agree but I'm hoping that they have a good handle on the difference between being patient to being stubborn.

Have we got a reason to doubt Kyle walters in that regard? Guy has been very proactive throughout most of his tenure here. He took the are to a bunch of the roster in the offseason. I think he knows

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Have we got a reason to doubt Kyle walters in that regard? Guy has been very proactive throughout most of his tenure here. He took the are to a bunch of the roster in the offseason. I think he knows

That’s the biggest concern of all, though. There seems to be a clear divide on the philosophy of the front office vs the philosophy of the head coach

13 minutes ago, Mike said:

That’s the biggest concern of all, though. There seems to be a clear divide on the philosophy of the front office vs the philosophy of the head coach

Like I said, he's more patient than we as fans are. Which ultimately I think is a good thing, but he's not stupid. 

Truthfully unthinkable walters had a poor year all around last hear and didn't seem engaged. I suspect he's not going to sit on his hands so much this year.

Perhaps another beat down at home changes things quicker. Can’t have 30k boo birds every week and pretend everything is gonna be ok when it’s quite clear that after 2 weeks, there are some concerning trends going back to last year. We are by far the worst team in the league right now. It’s prob not close. 

Edited by Goalie

17 minutes ago, Mike said:

Honestly I hope that’s the case. If it is and we keep losing the change happens and comes down from on high. 
I worry Walter’s is mainly on the same page and it’s gonna be a long hard road to change. 

Does 1 win really change things tho. That’s what I’m curious about. These guys look unprepared to play both weeks now. Is a fluke win gonna change anything or does this team need to come out and beat BCs ass badly. 

also would be curious to understand the thought process of bringing in 50 dbs and 50 wrs every year besides reps I guess for QBs but then basically cutting all of them. 

I’d be curious to know what some of the younger guys think actually also. Like the younger players. Surely they see that lesser players are being kept over younger better players and that has to effect them. 

like a tre Thomas or Jonny petrishen. What more could they have done to make the team? Besides be 8 year vets. Or how did guys who dropped every ball thrown to them like Wilson and Mitchell get chances over guys like Johnson and lord Keric. Just hurts the head. 

Edited by Goalie

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

That's my hope that we continue to have no legitimate reason (s) to doubt KW and MOS.

I think that's a reasonable hope of a fan and if/when we do come to that point that there are (potentially) legitimate reasons (e.g., stubbornness wrapped as patience) to doubt it's okay to thoughtfully chat about it with one another knowing there will be varying viewpoints on the matter.

This problem tho isn’t just a this year thing. I think last year started it. It’s just continued cuz a year older and a year slower. And if you wanna talk roster management that’s been an issue for some time. 

that’s my concern. They think it’s 2 games. When in reality it’s been most of last year, some might say longer, and so far all of this season. That’s my concern. 

it’s pretty boring if everyone agrees tho. @Mike

devils advocate at times. 

Edited by Goalie

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Does 1 win really change things tho. That’s what I’m curious about. These guys look unprepared to play both weeks now. Is a fluke win gonna change anything or does this team need to come out and beat BCs ass badly. 

also would be curious to understand the thought process of bringing in 50 dbs and 50 wrs every year besides reps I guess for QBs but then basically cutting all of them. 

I’d be curious to know what some of the younger guys think actually also. Like the younger players. Surely they see that lesser players are being kept over younger better players and that has to effect them. 

like a tre Thomas or Jonny petrishen. What more could they have done to make the team? Besides be 8 year vets. Or how did guys who dropped every ball thrown to them like Wilson and Mitchell get chances over guys like Johnson and lord Keric. Just hurts the head. 

I don’t think so. I also don’t think our chances of being above 500 any time soon is good. 

I’ve been wondering that about young rookies in camp for a while here. 

34 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly I hope that’s the case. If it is and we keep losing the change happens and comes down from on high. 
I worry Walter’s is mainly on the same page and it’s gonna be a long hard road to change. 

seems to be some issue/disconnect...seems this yr Walter's actually seen we needed the infusion of new blood...and they brought in a lot...and a lot got discarded...again.....He also brought back some guys he prob shouldnt have to effectively remove them from the equation....now did Osh insist he had to have them...put up a big stink?...Walter's relented?...did he do it bugrudgingly with caveat of if new guys better...old guys cut...And Osh went against that?...we will likely never know....but a shift in whats going on is needed...Another embarrassing loss...at home....with a poor roster......that has to be the tipping point

1 minute ago, Booch said:

seems to be some issue/disconnect...seems this yr Walter's actually seen we needed the infusion of new blood...and they brought in a lot...and a lot got discarded...again.....He also brought back some guys he prob shouldnt have to effectively remove them from the equation....now did Osh insist he had to have them...put up a big stink?...Walter's relented?...did he do it bugrudgingly with caveat of if new guys better...old guys cut...And Osh went against that?...we will likely never know....but a shift in whats going on is needed...Another embarrassing loss...at home....with a poor roster......that has to be the tipping point

Us Bomber fans here are showing varying viewpoints on what and when that is. 🙂

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Us Bomber fans here are showing varying viewpoints on what and when that is. 🙂

no doubt....tho last yr training camp likely was a good start point...and continued on thru to this one

I see some issues with the team but I also see some reasons for optimism, I think the doom and gloom is overstated at this point. I think there were a lot of concerns going into the season and they have been exacerbated by the 0-2 start and MOS's typical response to it but I'd not be shocked if the Bombers win at home against BC this week and suddenly things look a lot rosier. 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I see some issues with the team but I also see some reasons for optimism, I think the doom and gloom is overstated at this point. I think there were a lot of concerns going into the season and they have been exacerbated by the 0-2 start and MOS's typical response to it but I'd not be shocked if the Bombers win at home against BC this week and suddenly things look a lot rosier. 

The injuries are the biggest concern for me right now, but a home W where Collaros has good protection from the OL and gets 300 yards distributed to our playmakers doesn’t seem too far-fetched, I agree 

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

The injuries are the biggest concern for me right now, but a home W where Collaros has good protection from the OL and gets 300 yards distributed to our playmakers doesn’t seem too far-fetched, I agree 

Either way I think this bc game will speak volumes as to the nature of the problem, and if we have the will power to fix it. 

I think our decisions are making the problems worse. I don’t think injuries are our biggest issue. 

I feel like we tend to play bc well especially at home the one really ugly loss last year side. We’ve had an ugly year so I don’t expect them to play down to bc or be taken by surprise. I expect us to easily have the best game of our early season this week. 

I think some of the issues can be chalked up to offseason rust as well. I don't think Collaros totally fell off a cliff and sucks now. They just should have played him in the damn preseason. But they didn't so now he's gotta get caught up, and I believe he will. Same goes for Neufeld, BA, and Bighill... I don't think any of them are totally done, but they needed time to get up to speed. I think this team is gonna get there eventually and end up competing for first in the division. But some questionable decisions are not making it any easier, I would agree with that.

On the positive side of things I am encouraged by the look of some of our young talent that did make the team. Terrell Bonds, Devin Adams, Clercius, Lord Keric, these guys look pretty good. I think Tyrell Ford is gonna be a stud by the end of the season if we stick with him.

And let's be serious, they are going to get the ball in Streveler's hands and he's going to do some awesome stuff. It's coming.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I think some of the issues can be chalked up to offseason rust as well. I don't think Collaros totally fell off a cliff and sucks now. They just should have played him in the damn preseason. But they didn't so now he's gotta get caught up, and I believe he will. Same goes for Neufeld, BA, and Bighill... I don't think any of them are totally done, but they needed time to get up to speed. I think this team is gonna get there eventually and end up competing for first in the division. But some questionable decisions are not making it any easier, I would agree with that.

On the positive side of things I am encouraged by the look of some of our young talent that did make the team. Terrell Bonds, Devin Adams, Clercius, Lord Keric, these guys look pretty good. I think Tyrell Ford is gonna be a stud by the end of the season if we stick with him.

And let's be serious, they are going to get the ball in Streveler's hands and he's going to do some awesome stuff. It's coming.

I think most of this is entirely true but BA/Bighill are beyond done.

At the risk of injecting a note of restraint into this thread, we need to take a deep breath and step back. I have expressed many of the same concerns but I am not yet convinced to bring out the tar and feathers at this point. Walters and Co. have built a good team and unless they have undergone prefrontal lobotomies, they ought to have the abilities to fix this. In the Freep today, Pat Neufeld owned that the o-line has not done their jobs but that it was the lack of coordination, unfamiliarity with each other and poor communication, but also that it was fixable. If that is true, (and he comes across as intelligent) that would likely fix at least 67% of the problems here. This two-game debacle may has been a blessing in disguise in that it exposed chronic problems and ought to galvanize remedies. Better now than in late October. 

Lets revisit this after the BC game.

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think most of this is entirely true but BA/Bighill are beyond done.

+ Thomas and neuf. Not sure kyrie or Zach still has it, kola never had it to lose. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Done as high level impact players, but both could serve as contributing players.

Only as naturalized imp in very limited situations with well curated usage. Which is hard to do, and you can’t have two. 
 It’s like having Thomas and karamoko on the field at the same time. You instantly give up soo much advantage it’s a miracle to over come. 

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Totally agree. I injuries have been rough so far.  Two huge game breakers missing on offence and then basically a whole starting defensive line and the best cover man on the team (not to mention Parker who probably would have been starting)