CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

I thought he just said the other day he'd love to come back to the BC Lions when/if his NFL door closes. It seems like his door is pretty close to being closed right now. 

I don't think we will really benefit from him coming back even in this offseason. He's made it clear his first choice is BC.  Unless BC decides to stick with Adams Jr. which i don't think they would do we are kind of screwed. BC can sign Rourke and trade Adams Jr. to Hamilton or a different out of the division team.   Even if BC wins the cup and they decide to stick with Adams Jr we'd have to be sure that we could move Zach to a different team who would take on Zach's gaurenteed money in order to be able to negotiate with Rourke who will no double become the highest paid player in the CFL.  And just about every team in the league will go after him so why would he sign with a non-playoff team that doesn't have its **** together.

Until Rourke accepts he's not going to have an NFL career, he won't be playing anywhere soon.  He might be able to string a few more contracts together but that's all he'll have to show for his football career, until he accepts playing in the CFL again.  He might be able to pull off a Flutie and return to the NFL later in his career if he does very well in the CFL.  It would be more logical for the Bombers to pursue interest in his brother, as he will also likely end up in the CFL.

IF and when Rourke does return to the CFL it most likely will be with the leos....says they feel like family... VAJ will most likely be looking for new digs if Rourke gets that old time family feeling

56 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Until Rourke accepts he's not going to have an NFL career, he won't be playing anywhere soon.  He might be able to string a few more contracts together but that's all he'll have to show for his football career, until he accepts playing in the CFL again.  He might be able to pull off a Flutie and return to the NFL later in his career if he does very well in the CFL.  It would be more logical for the Bombers to pursue interest in his brother, as he will also likely end up in the CFL.

They'll have to draft Kurtis if they want him but they may not get the chance, depending on where they pick. 

He was, at one point, the top ranked prospect for the 2024 draft but deferred to next year.

Edited by bigg jay

I’d bet on rourke kicking around the nfl for a shot the rest of the year. May even get it. The earliest I think he’d be available is next year. 
 Do I think he will automatically go back to the Leo’s? No. Most players say that till they actually get fa offers. 
 Tor, mtl, cal, maybe ask even edm will make competitive offers. Every team in the league is likely to inquire and might even all make offers. 
 The only way we have a slight shot is if zach retires. 
 Rourke will be offered silly money over a long term for sure. Some one will offer 650 maybe even 700 for maybe 4 years. He might decide to chase a deal that gives him an earlier nfl window though.  
 All that said, he should stick atleast as long as strevy did down south. 

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’d bet on rourke kicking around the nfl for a shot the rest of the year. May even get it. The earliest I think he’d be available is next year. 
 Do I think he will automatically go back to the Leo’s? No. Most players say that till they actually get fa offers. 
 Tor, mtl, cal, maybe ask even edm will make competitive offers. Every team in the league is likely to inquire and might even all make offers. 
 The only way we have a slight shot is if zach retires. 
 Rourke will be offered silly money over a long term for sure. Some one will offer 650 maybe even 700 for maybe 4 years. He might decide to chase a deal that gives him an earlier nfl window though.  
 All that said, he should stick atleast as long as strevy did down south. 

Take Calgary off your list. The owner would never allow it. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

At least Flutie started a few games for the Bears & was a star in the USFL. He also had incredible cred coming out of Boston College. Rourke is just another non descript college qb. Yet, some on social media thinks he deserves special treatment when he doesn't. Former Ti cat OL Peter Dyakowski was incensed he got cut calling him a "Top 15 qb" which is laughable.

Rourke couldn't get out of the CFL fast enough in 2022. To him, playing for the Lions was an unforeseen detour. He was above all of us. Playing up here was beneath him. He felt that he was too good for the CFL. He was destined to be an NFL starter. Well?????

Before we get into heavy breathing about the remote possibility of Rourke, lets not forget the obvious and immediate problems on the O-line. Iam disappointed in Collaros' play but its a no-brainer to assume he would be significantly better with an O-line that is at least competent. No point in bringing a Rourke-grade QB in just to have him get shunted off to the 6-game IR list after two games.

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Before we get into heavy breathing about the remote possibility of Rourke, lets not forget the obvious and immediate problems on the O-line. Iam disappointed in Collaros' play but its a no-brainer to assume he would be significantly better with an O-line that is at least competent. No point in bringing a Rourke-grade QB in just to have him get shunted off to the 6-game IR list after two games.

Rourke will never play here so if there are Bomber fans thinking he's coming then they should get a grip. Same with Lions fans who think that it's fait a compli that he's going there. Rourke's family is in Burlington. He grew up there. Has friends there. If any team could sign Rourke if he came back, it's the Ti Cats. Outside shot, the Argos if they want to get rid of Kelly. 

47 minutes ago, Tracker said:

This. The whole line can go as far as I’m concerned. I love Stanley but he’s going to be pushing 40 time to find new blood. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Rourke couldn't get out of the CFL fast enough in 2022. To him, playing for the Lions was an unforeseen detour. He was above all of us. Playing up here was beneath him. He felt that he was too good for the CFL. 

What proof do you have that Rourke has ever had this attitude? (Please share if you do). He wanted to make more money and try the NFL. That is his right. As far as I've ever seen, he's been a humble young man who has just tried to better himself.

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Guys, it obvious, Rourke to Ottawa for 2025. They cut Brown who we bring back. Brown leads us to the 2025 Grey Cup that we win in a blowout.

But Collaros is still on his $600k salary in 2025, which prevented us from retaining Brown in the first place.

47 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

What proof do you have that Rourke has ever had this attitude? (Please share if you do). He wanted to make more money and try the NFL. That is his right. As far as I've ever seen, he's been a humble young man who has just tried to better himself.

From a text 2 years ago saying goodbye & calling the CFL an "unforseen detour" And he had workouts planned a few days after the Western Final. His bags were already packed. Humble? The guy's ego was three hat sizes too big. Besides, I'm not wishing anything bad for the guy. He's pursuing his dream while getting cut down to size. When he comes back maybe he'll actually appreciate playing in the CFL. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

This,Neuf and Kolankowski took turns at being turnstiles yesterday i am not sure how they grade their oline but something has to give. The only thing with Zac is he doesn't seem to have his  scrambling ability anymore???

A question for those who follow things closer than I do....The top teams...at least record wise...where are they as far as allocation to salary....

We have the highest, paid QB, we have the highest paid running back, by a looooong shot......the number 2, number 3 and number 4 highest paid receivers.....If I am accurate that is 1.57million tied into 5 offensive "non-lineman" positions... just under 30% of the total salary cap.......

I won't claim to be an expert on the topic...but to me we seem to have too much into these 5 players to effectively build other parts of the roster...my question is has anyone done a comparison between us and say the top teams? 

14 hours ago, 3rdand1.5 said:

A question for those who follow things closer than I do....The top teams...at least record wise...where are they as far as allocation to salary....

We have the highest, paid QB, we have the highest paid running back, by a looooong shot......the number 2, number 3 and number 4 highest paid receivers.....If I am accurate that is 1.57million tied into 5 offensive "non-lineman" positions... just under 30% of the total salary cap.......

I won't claim to be an expert on the topic...but to me we seem to have too much into these 5 players to effectively build other parts of the roster...my question is has anyone done a comparison between us and say the top teams? 

We've consistently opted for the cheaper internal option to retain on the offensive line rather than making sure we retained the best option.   Didn't work out well with Couture vs Kolo but it worked out great in Jones vs Hardrick. Wishing we still had Dejarlais, Couture, and Chung right now.

We can recover.  I think Dobsen, Eli, and Wallace end up being pretty good and with the season we're having we should get a pretty high pick this year in the first round and two second round picks again. 

The one thing that has always stuck out to me about Rourke was his last drive against the Bombers in the west finals... he was coming off an injury but seeing him only get off 5 plays in 95 seconds with the chance to tie the game in the CFL was something else. On two plays with the clock running he pretty much let the play clock hit 00s

2 hours ago, ShyGuy said:

The one thing that has always stuck out to me about Rourke was his last drive against the Bombers in the west finals... he was coming off an injury but seeing him only get off 5 plays in 95 seconds with the chance to tie the game in the CFL was something else. On two plays with the clock running he pretty much let the play clock hit 00s

yeah....wonder why that was...hmmm...

14 hours ago, Squeakers and Skippy said:

So I just figured out all 4 east teams beat the west teams , I honestly dont remember the last time that happened.

good to finally see some parity in the league though yes, I don't remember this happening, ever. 

15 hours ago, Squeakers and Skippy said:

So I just figured out all 4 east teams beat the west teams , I honestly dont remember the last time that happened.

Yeah, the West seems to generaly do better in regular season, but the East somehow wins their share of Grey Cups.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah....wonder why that was...hmmm...

Its obvious he was having trouble with the crowd noise! I can't imagine that having a note "was unable to co-ordinate a last minute drive in CFL West Final" on his scouting report does much to inspire confidence. 

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Turd down says Rourke unclaimed after being put on waivers.....How long before his agent is up here putting out feelers.......hmmmmmm

Nathan Rourke goes unclaimed on NFL waivers following release from New York Giants - 3DownNation

Looks like Rourke wants to do a Strevy and sit by the phone all season waiting for the call.  I can't believe that he didn't stick on that insanely shitty Giants roster...wow