CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

I had a bit of down time today so I decided to look up the number of Canadians that each team in the league started in each game played so far this year. (According to what I've read each team must start 8 Canadians one of which could be a "nationalized American".) So...

Hamilton: started 8 for all games so far this year

Montreal: mainly 8 but had 9 twice and 10 another time

Ottawa: 8s across the board

Toronto: 8 for all games

Edmonton: started 8 except for two games where they started 9.

Saskatchewan: 8 for all games

Calgary: 8 except for one game when they started 9

BC: one game with 8, 4 with 9 and two games with 10

Bombers: from what I could make out...three games with 10 and five games with 11

What am I missing here? Is the Bombers' Canadian talent that good? Do the Bombers' coaches know something the other coaches don't?

1 hour ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

I had a bit of down time today so I decided to look up the number of Canadians that each team in the league started in each game played so far this year. (According to what I've read each team must start 8 Canadians one of which could be a "nationalized American".) So...

Hamilton: started 8 for all games so far this year

Montreal: mainly 8 but had 9 twice and 10 another time

Ottawa: 8s across the board

Toronto: 8 for all games

Edmonton: started 8 except for two games where they started 9.

Saskatchewan: 8 for all games

Calgary: 8 except for one game when they started 9

BC: one game with 8, 4 with 9 and two games with 10

Bombers: from what I could make out...three games with 10 and five games with 11

What am I missing here? Is the Bombers' Canadian talent that good? Do the Bombers' coaches know something the other coaches don't?

Exactly....Osh doing his Osh'in is the only coach to do that....and it's not as they are the best option on the team...It's his Canadiana agenda.....and if those were our best options...we have serious flaws in scouting/recruiting then

You forgot to mention all those other coaches utilize the Nationalized player as well....another thing Osh refuses to do...cause he was a lone wolf vote against it....so this is his soapbox statement

Personal agenda and bias over team....is that truly what you would want leading a team?....and dont anyone chime in with the "ya buts...4 cup appearances".....holds no weight or value the last 2 losses...and whats compounded this yr

Edited by Booch

4 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

So Atlanta signed Cousins for $$$$$. They drafted Pennix in round 1 this spring. So Rourke is battling for 3rd string/pr?

Should be plenty of ham & eggs served in that QB room.  

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

Exactly....Osh doing his Osh'in is the only coach to do that....and it's not as they are the best option on the team...It's his Canadiana agenda.....and if those were our best options...we have serious flaws in scouting/recruiting then

You forgot to mention all those other coaches utilize the Nationalized player as well....another thing Osh refuses to do...cause he was a lone wolf vote against it....so this is his soapbox statement

Personal agenda and bias over team....is that truly what you would want leading a team?....and dont anyone chime in with the "ya buts...4 cup appearances".....holds no weight or value the last 2 losses...and whats compounded this yr

I didn't forget to mention the "Nationalized American". I just thought that I'd do one at a time. Yes, the Bombers haven't taken advantage of that rule at all this season. (I can think of a couple of veteran Americans on the team who would fit nicely in that roll and that would count as a starting Canadian.) The only other team that hasn't used it is Edmonton and BC has only used it once. Ottawa and Hamilton have used it every game. Toronto and Sask every game but one. Calgary is intermittent but has still made some use of the position. It's a head-scratcher.

17 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

At the end of his NFL journey Rourke is going to have a T-shirt from nearly every NFL franchise.  He's "Kevin Glenning" it right now lol...

Not exactly, Kevin usually got to play a season or two for the teams that signed him.

On 2024-07-29 at 6:40 PM, Colin Unger said:

Doesn’t make much sense to me. What exactly is the opportunity for him. Better to wait for a real opportunity. 

Desperation & begging. That's what it's come down to for Rourke. 

55 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It  was the alliteration that got him canned.

I don't get it...

friends-ross-geller.gif

Edited by SpeedFlex27

On 2024-07-29 at 6:40 PM, Colin Unger said:

Doesn’t make much sense to me. What exactly is the opportunity for him. Better to wait for a real opportunity. 

Desperation. Football fans say why doesn't he sign with an NFL team that will give him a chance? No team will give him that chance as he's cleared waivers. That's what the NFL thinks of him. Rourke will sign with any NFL team that will appear to give him a chance but he won't get one. Taylor Heinecke is ensconced as the #3 qb in Atlanta. He has 7 years of NFL & XFL experience. As an NFL player, Heinecke has attempted 966 passes & completed 604  for 6,635 yards. He's thrown 39 touchdowns & 28 interceptions during his NFL career which started in 2017. I'll be shocked if Rourke dislodges Heinecke as #3 with that kind of experience. 

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Davis can do short yardage but they are screwed if he has to actually throw the ball.

Almost here, if not most, though Fajardo was done after the Riders cut him adrifit, but, wonder of wonders, Maas somehow resurrected him even made him good enough to win the Grey Cup. So- who knows what might happen for Davis?

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Almost here, if not most, though Fajardo was done after the Riders cut him adrifit, but, wonder of wonders, Maas somehow resurrected him even made him good enough to win the Grey Cup. So- who knows what might happen for Davis?

Personally I never thought CF was done… I just thought his attitude would sink him. But he’s been great in MTL, and finally worked on his deep ball this past offseason, which is paying off for him.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

I feel confident that a 35 year old QB, who has played about a decade as a pro and who has suited up for 4 CFL teams is not suddenly going to develop the ability to be a consistent passer.

2 hours ago, greenrider55 said:

Personally I never thought CF was done… I just thought his attitude would sink him. But he’s been great in MTL, and finally worked on his deep ball this past offseason, which is paying off for him.

He’s a high floor low ceiling passer. A team can only run the same stuff for soo long. Especially coming up short in the play offs over and over again. At some point you have to move on. Often in football you have to take a step back before you can move forward. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I feel confident that a 35 year old QB, who has played about a decade as a pro and who has suited up for 4 CFL teams is not suddenly going to develop the ability to be a consistent passer.

You can go back further and further and all you ever see is him not starting and not being consistent.  
 Honestly I think he’s only stayed in the league soo long because he’s a lazy safe pick. A rookie is a risk on an ar, and a lot of work to find the best available option and fit for you.