CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

There's no way Rourke steps in and plays this week.

I think Rourke gives them a better chance to win even without the practise and knowledge of the playbook. Baker was able to come in with the LA Rams and win a game after 5 days of being with the team. 

25 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Big play VA must be in shambles this AM, his MOP campaign was short lived. 

Almost wonder if he requests a trade.

I would If I ws him...no point in him being there

2 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

I actually agree with you.  I'd be very surprised if Rourke starts.  May see some action later in the game though.

i hope they start him...I truly do

Good for Lions management. Even better for their fans.  Hosting the Grey Cup this year, the Lions have a chance to pack the house.  Despite being in first place and their number 1 QB almost ready to come back, they make a move to get even better.  

Hopefully next years host takes the same approach 😉 

2 minutes ago, Dirty30 said:

Good for Lions management. Even better for their fans.  Hosting the Grey Cup this year, the Lions have a chance to pack the house.  Despite being in first place and their number 1 QB almost ready to come back, they make a move to get even better.  

Hopefully next years host takes the same approach 😉 

I dont think VA was anywhere near to coming back....Watching him move and walk on sideleines....no way in hell he was dressing in next 2 games

3 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

How the hell can they afford Rourke with what they pay VA?

thats an interesting thought too....salary dump somewhere now....rob Peter to pay Paul?

4 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

How can the plan not be to hand the reigns to Rourke? They just signed him for 3 years. Haven't heard $ yet but he must be the highest paid QB in the league. 

Considering they already paid 220k in bonus and about 50k in other monies and a base of 155k , so 77k more in game cheques....thats a lot of scratch tied up already for your back-up

so either they paying rourke piddly nuts this yr, but back load the snot outta the last 2 yrs then I would think something has to be cut there to save money

There is zero chance they can afford both unless Rourke came for peanuts this year and will make it up on the backend. Either way the Leos are going to be paying a butt load at QB thru the next 3 years. I am sure they can keep VA thru this season but beyond it's gotta be impossible without severely hamstringing the roster.

Were paying Collaros 600K & Streveler 120K = 720K for our top 2 QB's

BC's paying VAJ 404K so they could pay Rourke 316K this year to match our top 2 QB's. Assuming Rourke is worth 600K+, 300K+ for half a season's about right. 

Everyone knows the money doesn't work with  2 qbs. pulling in top dollar for the leos....Campbell is full of horse doo doo when he said the return of Rourke depended on VAJ remaining with the team....The coach is trying to let Adams down gently and put on the schmooze... I think it will end with VAJ being dealt....Nothing to do with us and I think the case will be is that we'll most likely face Dolegala, with a lot of Rourke thrown in.....Adams is most likely still on the mend

47 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I think Rourke gives them a better chance to win even without the practise and knowledge of the playbook. Baker was able to come in with the LA Rams and win a game after 5 days of being with the team. 

Rourke has 2 days with a receiving corps he is completely unfamiliar with. I hope he does play this week, he will be an interception machine because Nathan Rourke or not, no one get the timing and gets in tune with new receivers that fast.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

BC's paying VAJ 404K so they could pay Rourke 316K this year to match our top 2 QB's. Assuming Rourke is worth 600K+, 300K+ for half a season's about right. 

Rourke is probably in the 750k range if I were a betting man.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I agree with your money figures for this year. Just depends on how much cap room they had though.  Just because they theoretically can run around the same cost as the Bombers at QB this year doesn't mean they left the cap space to do it. If they did good on them they can move VA in the offseason. If they didn't they got to start trading assets to get under the SMS.

Edited by GCn20

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

But that's not how it works. They don't get a separate QB salary cap. There was no way BC was banking on Rourke coming back this year and keeping the money aside.

My best guess is they are paying him peanuts for the rest of this year and are giving a big signing bonus for next year along with a big salary. VA is as good as gone after the season is over.

1 minute ago, BBlink said:

But that's not how it works. They don't get a separate QB salary cap. There was no way BC was banking on Rourke coming back this year and keeping the money aside.

My best guess is they are paying him peanuts for the rest of this year and are giving a big signing bonus for next year along with a big salary. VA is as good as gone after the season is over.

3 year deal leads me to believe he got a butt load of that guaranteed in year 3 as well.