CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Just now, BBlink said:

But that's not how it works. They don't get a separate QB salary cap. There was no way BC was banking on Rourke coming back this year and keeping the money aside.

My best guess is they are paying him peanuts for the rest of this year and are giving a big signing bonus for next year along with a big salary. VA is as good as gone after the season is over.

I think BC was banking on Rourke coming back. They were keeping some money in the bank by only paying VAJ 404K. 

I don't think they care if they go over the SMS by 99+K & Rourke is worth going over by more if it comes to that. 

Dolegala will get cut ASAP to save 55K. I'm sure they aren't at the top end of their SMS yet anyway. 

13 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

There is zero chance they can afford both unless Rourke came for peanuts this year and will make it up on the backend. Either way the Leos are going to be paying a butt load at QB thru the next 3 years. I am sure they can keep VA thru this season but beyond it's gotta be impossible without severely hamstringing the roster.

I think it’s a small chance Rourke would play this half a season for Pennies, so he could be an un restricted fa next year and get a cap crippling contract from some one. 
 Idk if bc does any thing, unless Rourke signs an extension. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

3 year deal leads me to believe he got a butt load of that guaranteed in year 3 as well.

whatever.....you can't overlook the fact how this affects a team.....Adams knows the gig with the leos is up, sooner or later no matter how you want to look at it....I think the air just got let out of his tires and his limp will get worse   We'll see how this shakes down and the affect it has on that club this weekend...

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think BC was banking on Rourke coming back. They were keeping some money in the bank by only paying VAJ 404K. 

I don't think they care if they go over the SMS by 99+K & Rourke is worth going over by more if it comes to that. 

Dolegala will get cut ASAP to save 55K. I'm sure they aren't at the top end of their SMS yet anyway. 

That's a whole lot of uncertain certainty.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Well we can agree to disagree. In a Grey Cup hosting year, not spending to the cap would be odd to me. I agree they probably wouldn't care about going over the cap up to the loss of a draft pick. But I also don't think you can really plan for that given the nature of the game when it comes to injuries.

42 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I'm pretty sure VA has half of his 2026 salary guaranteed. They will be very close to the top of the sms if they keep both.

53 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Interested to see what numbers Rourke is getting. Any signing bonus plus is weekly salary for the last nine games can't be insignificant. 

VA was already paid a lot of his salary. 

I'm sure they just don't care about the cap and are going all in to win at home this year. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah go ahead and start Rourke. See how that works out. 

Massively massively over rated player because of a hot summer in an offense that we now know simply pads a qbs passing numbers when the weather is good.

If they finish first, both the west final and the GC are in a dome.

58 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think it’s a small chance Rourke would play this half a season for Pennies, so he could be an un restricted fa next year and get a cap crippling contract from some one. 
 Idk if bc does any thing, unless Rourke signs an extension. 

Rourke signed a 3 year deal.

11 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He's played and thrived in Maksymic's system before and he's obviously in playing shape as he's been going through NFL training camp and pre-season. He's got three full days to practice. I bet he plays.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rourke dresses as the #2 and then comes in part way through the 1st Q when the other guy sucks.

23 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Interested to see what numbers Rourke is getting. Any signing bonus plus is weekly salary for the last nine games can't be insignificant. 

VA was already paid a lot of his salary. 

I'm sure they just don't care about the cap and are going all in to win at home this year. 

I bet the Lions will jut pay Rourke 400k in marketing money. 

Or not. Lol

Edited by WinnipegGordo

39 minutes ago, Atomic said:

He's played and thrived in Maksymic's system before and he's obviously in playing shape as he's been going through NFL training camp and pre-season. He's got three full days to practice. I bet he plays.

The above = better than Dolegala.

Rourke is playing this weekend...

Man... we can never catch a break...

Time to pull out the secret weapon ... 

(anyone have an idea what that is? ;))

I hope Rourke gets flustered and does this (after we are up by 30 of course)

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't think that both VAJ & Rourke will be Lions next year, but I also don't think that $250K will kill them this year. Even if it does, it's worth it. 

My guess is V.A. ends up in Sask. or Hamilton next year, they may trade him for a draft pick to avoid taking on more salary obligations.  Lions look dumb for not retaining Prukop as their 3rd down man.