CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

"Rourke’s compensation in those seasons includes $200,000 in marketing money, which does not count against the league’s salary cap. As such, his cap number for 2025 checks in at $549,200 and $609,000 for 2026."

Can someone remind me on how this marketing money works again? Is there a limit to it?

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

"Rourke’s compensation in those seasons includes $200,000 in marketing money, which does not count against the league’s salary cap. As such, his cap number for 2025 checks in at $549,200 and $609,000 for 2026."

Can someone remind me on how this marketing money works again? Is there a limit to it?

There is no limit. Thats why I wish the Bombers would abuse it more as they are in the best postion to do so.

2 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

i think he just used up their whol allotment...theres so much u can use ....spread out how you want...I thought I saw a 200K number somewhere....could be wrong...but I bet he ate it all up

1 minute ago, WinnipegGordo said:

There is no limit. Thats why I wish the Bombers would abuse it more as they are in the best postion to do so.

I coulda swore there was a cap to it....maybe not....but sure there is...or like you mention....we could totally abuse it with revs we bring in

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

I coulda swore there was a cap to it....maybe not....but sure there is...or like you mention....we could totally abuse it with revs we bring in

If not now, in the future, if things start to get out of hand they'll reel it back in.  All it takes is for MLSE to squawk about being at a disadvantage.

I know this won’t happen because a teams general manager won’t be able to help themselves but it would be hilarious if the entire league played hard ball with B.C making them Have to either have both quarterbacks on the team and take up over a million dollars in cap space next season, or having to release him and be on the hook for 250 K, I know that probably won’t happen but I don’t like when teams spend like this and allow another less fortunate team to bail them out. 

I like how Farhan was about $200,000 off the mark LMAO

42 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I know this won’t happen because a teams general manager won’t be able to help themselves but it would be hilarious if the entire league played hard ball with B.C making them Have to either have both quarterbacks on the team and take up over a million dollars in cap space next season, or having to release him and be on the hook for 250 K, I know that probably won’t happen but I don’t like when teams spend like this and allow another less fortunate team to bail them out. 

I think it will happen.  It's pretty hard to trade a guy who is going to get cut anyway and teams want to craft their own contracts.

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Rourke signed a 3 year deal.

Yep kinda surprised from both tbh. I wouldn’t want to give a guy the top contract in the league based on half a season, yikes. 
 Vaj is for sure on the market now. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

I'm far from a VA fan but I'd be beyond pissed right now if I was him.

I get that but at the same time bc is 1 game above .500, and have scored fewer points than they’ve given up. Hes been solid, but after getting lit up several times last year and then shut down by us plus the fact he’s already 31, I don’t think he has a place to be pissed. Some one else will start him, he hasn’t played him self into the position Rourke was when he left. Hes constantly come up just short of Rourkes high water mark. 

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

LMAO bc never learns! 

20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I mean, after their recent history with Mike Reilly...they need to see the forest for the trees at some point. 

Hopefully the Lions new owner markets the hell out of Rourke and the Lions attendance soars, if he could increase attendance by 5-10k per game over the next 3 years he'd likely make his investment back.  The bigger trick will be reducing teammates salaries to accommodate Rourke and keep them under the SMS cap.