CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Rourke is being hyped up so much he’s likely to not live up to expectations. Dude hasn’t played a meaningful game in 2 years. 

Also not sure if mentioned but former ALs RB Cierre Wood sentenced to basically life in prison in connection to the death of his gfs daughter. The mother was also charged. 

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Also not sure if mentioned but former ALs RB Cierre Wood sentenced to basically life in prison in connection to the death of his gfs daughter. The mother was also charged. 

He was with us after Montreal (who acquired him in a trade with Hamilton) but he didn't play a single game in the CFL.  Hopefully it's a name we'll never have to hear again... after reading some of the details of the case - good riddance.

Edited by bigg jay

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

What’s the point of having a cap at all at that point? 

exactly...that would make zero sense there no limit to it

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

So... I guess Rourke is the QB we are facing on Sunday...

I like that...and if he gets hurt??...who's up

15 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Rourke sprains his thorax, leading to farhan needing a 6 game stint on the ir after losing his mind. 

Farhan gonna have his tight undies on sunday...likely 2 pair

14 minutes ago, Saidin said:

Find someone who loves you as much as Farhan loves Rourke.

Osh and Thomas....theres a good start

31 minutes ago, Booch said:

exactly...that would make zero sense there no limit to it

I like that...and if he gets hurt??...who's up

Farhan gonna have his tight undies on sunday...likely 2 pair

Osh and Thomas....theres a good start

Rourke hasn't faced a CFL defence and played behind a swiss cheese OL in 2 years. He's not going to have the timing down, and he's likely to get hit a lot. Can he survive it? We'll see but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets nicked up. Lions are kind of stupid rushing him back imo.

BTW, does bringing back Rourke indicate that VAJ is more seriously injured or that they simply need to get a good player when he was available? It's going to be interesting to see Campbell navigate this when Adams is ready to play if he's not too badly hurt. To me it seems rather risky for team cohesion etc. A slap in the face actually, I know you were on tract to be the MOP in the league Vernon but you know, them's the breaks. Some guys on that team who don't know Rourke but have only been part of VAJ's time there. One only wonders how that will play ...

Edited by IC Khari

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Rourke hasn't faced a CFL defence and played behind a swiss cheese OL in 2 years. He's not going to have the timing down, and he's likely to get hit a lot. Can he survive it? We'll see but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets nicked up. Lions are kind of stupid rushing him back imo.

exactly, and if you don't think thats gonna really amp up the defense to shoot down the hype they are  sadly mistaken....plus we have basically had an extended break with the last game...the bye week and then not playing until sunday...should be no reason at all we aren't prepared...healthy and have put together a good game plan

6 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

BTW, does bringing back Rourke indicate that VAJ is more seriously injured or that they simply need to get a good player when he was available? It's going to be interesting to see Campbell navigate this when Adams is ready to play if he's not too badly hurt. To me it seems rather risky for team cohesion etc. A slap in the face actually, I know you were on tract to be the MOP in the league Vernon but you know, them's the breaks. Some guys on that team who don't know Rourke but have only been part of VAJ's time there. One only wonders how that will play ...

watching him on sideline last game in civies....and going through injuries like his myself....from what I saw...he was 2..3 weeks away at earliest from how he moved...and certain ways he didnt move

21 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I like how Farhan was about $200,000 off the mark LMAO

I think it will happen.  It's pretty hard to trade a guy who is going to get cut anyway and teams want to craft their own contracts.

It will depend on how many teams feel desperate for a QB this offseason. If it is just one or two teams they likely wait for VA to get cut. If that number goes higher I'd suggest a trade will happen. It's not like VA's contract is an albotross or anything. It's a pretty fair contract, in fact, a team might trade for it to avoid having to pay more. Compensation wouldn't be high for BC tho.

24 minutes ago, Booch said:

exactly, and if you don't think thats gonna really amp up the defense to shoot down the hype they are  sadly mistaken....plus we have basically had an extended break with the last game...the bye week and then not playing until sunday...should be no reason at all we aren't prepared...healthy and have put together a good game plan

watching him on sideline last game in civies....and going through injuries like his myself....from what I saw...he was 2..3 weeks away at earliest from how he moved...and certain ways he didnt move

So if it wasn’t season ending, it seems they are really taking a chance with replacing the starter (even if the replacement guy has all the hype). Rourke is (or could be) a good QB but it remains to be seen if he will have the same chemistry with the Lions receivers that VAJ had. To me it’s a little desperate actually…

28 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I demand they bring back Casey" I can't make Chicken Salad Out Of Chicken ****" Printers.

He’s only 43, maybe they should …

please-please-begging.gif

1 minute ago, IC Khari said:

So if it wasn’t season ending, it seems they are really taking a chance with replacing the starter (even if the replacement guy has all the hype). Rourke is (or could be) a good QB but it remains to be seen if he will have the same chemistry with the Lions receivers that VAJ had. To me it’s a little desperate actually…

HE had a nice lil stretch...3 yrs ago but wilted when the pressure came in the big game....hasn't done jack since as for playing....not saying he isn't gonna be good....But he isnt gonna be Doug Flutie or any other top shelf HOF'er in their prime....I think he was way over hyped and had the luxury playing as an 80k guy and lotta money was spent elsewhere to accommodate him with playmakers

1 minute ago, Booch said:

HE had a nice lil stretch...3 yrs ago but wilted when the pressure came in the big game....hasn't done jack since as for playing....not saying he isn't gonna be good....But he isnt gonna be Doug Flutie or any other top shelf HOF'er in their prime....I think he was way over hyped and had the luxury playing as an 80k guy and lotta money was spent elsewhere to accommodate him with playmakers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT55uvghnSCwyDSRvgljmF

I bet...Next yr we will see Vaj in Hammer...Faj battling with that kid they have now....Ott and T.O stay same...as do we....same in CGY and Ford is the guy in Edm. but not sure where Looney tunes ends up....Sask will keep with the 2 turds they have...hard to see any different at this point

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

I bet...Next yr we will see Vaj in Hammer...Faj battling with that kid they have now....Ott and T.O stay same...as do we....same in CGY and Ford is the guy in Edm. but not sure where Looney tunes ends up....Sask will keep with the 2 turds they have...hard to see any different at this point

Depends how this Kelly situation unfolds too....haven't heard much of anything around him coming back. That might be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

I could see ssk going after vaj. Harris isn't the future and Paterson is too raw. I think Hamilton goes with Powell and Tuas brother. 

4 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Maybe @DTonOB can help shed some light on the marketing money and it's max amount.

As I read the CBA, teams have to spend a *minimum* of $110,000 per year on "Non-Football Related Services". That $110K counts under the Total Salary Expenditure Cap (this season it's $5.635 million. Up to $5.76 million next season). The thought that it doesn't count against the cap is mostly correct.

I don't see anything in the CBA that mentions a maximum for "Non-Football Related Services". What I've heard is that the CFL wants teams to "just be cool" about it (ie. don't go nuts and spend a zillion dollars there).

It's got to be a tricky spot for owners collectively. If one decides to spendspendspend I can't imagine the rest could do much to stop him. And if I was the players union I would want a MAJOR concession to put a specified limit on that money.

Edited by DTonOB

20 minutes ago, DTonOB said:

As I read the CBA, teams have to spend a *minimum* of $110,000 per year on "Non-Football Related Services". That $110K counts under the Total Salary Expenditure Cap (this season it's $5.635 million. Up to $5.76 million next season). The thought that it doesn't count against the cap is mostly correct.

I don't see anything in the CBA that mentions a maximum for "Non-Football Related Services". What I've heard is that the CFL wants teams to "just be cool" about it (ie. don't go nuts and spend a zillion dollars there).

It's got to be a tricky spot for owners collectively. If one decides to spendspendspend I can't imagine the rest could do much to stop him. And if I was the players union I would want a MAJOR concession to put a specified limit on that money.

Yes- let them police themselves... that'll work, until it doesn't. 

Thanks DT, always appreciate your input. Also, I am really impressed with your game day CC- keep up the great work.