CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Exactly. If you made a graph of every team in this league's lowest attendance years and compared it to their win/loss record their lowest attendance would come in years with the least wins. I think that goes in every sport. If we went a season and a half without winning a home game I can't imagine our attendance would be all that great either.

Winnipeg has had a historically good fanbase even during the lean years.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/25/how-cfl-attendance-has-changed-over-the-past-fifty-years-with-a-close-look-at-b-c-and-toronto/

The blue line in that shared graph is us

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Rourke hasn't faced a CFL defence and played behind a swiss cheese OL in 2 years. He's not going to have the timing down, and he's likely to get hit a lot. Can he survive it? We'll see but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets nicked up. Lions are kind of stupid rushing him back imo.

I predict O’Rourke will have his helmet split, his head concussed, a broken elbow, both legs bent to unnatural positions and probably at least two ribs pulverized so he is in excruciating pain trying to breath. That would be nice. 

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It will depend on how many teams feel desperate for a QB this offseason. If it is just one or two teams they likely wait for VA to get cut. If that number goes higher I'd suggest a trade will happen. It's not like VA's contract is an albotross or anything. It's a pretty fair contract, in fact, a team might trade for it to avoid having to pay more. Compensation wouldn't be high for BC tho.

V.A. likely to be traded for a draft pick, BC will be glad to shed some salary and their trading partners will be well aware they hold the advantage.  Honestly I can only see a couple of teams willing to grant him starter status.

46 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

V.A. likely to be traded for a draft pick, BC will be glad to shed some salary and their trading partners will be well aware they hold the advantage.  Honestly I can only see a couple of teams willing to grant him starter status.

Why do the loins need to shed some salary, just restructure the contract and pad it with marketing money. I mean, ****- they dumped 200k to secure Rouke's services what's another 200k?

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Why do the loins need to shed some salary, just restructure the contract and pad it with marketing money. I mean, ****- they dumped 200k to secure Rouke's services what's another 200k?

Operationally that franchise is still bleeding money.  They've got big crowds when they've essentially paid them to come to see a concert with a football game.

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Operationally that franchise is still bleeding money.  They've got big crowds when they've essentially paid them to come to see a concert with a football game.

Sounds like a great long term business plan …

puke-nausea.gif

… and those are just the ones who went to see Taylor Swift. 

23 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Why trade for Adams when you know BC has to release him next year before his bonus comes due since Rourke is up to 749k next year.

To ensure you get him. On the free market you have to compete for his services, with really no second guy available. Same reason ott gave us a low pick for browns rights before free agency. 
 I think it’s a question of how much value do you give up? 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

To ensure you get him. On the free market you have to compete for his services, with really no second guy available. Same reason ott gave us a low pick for browns rights before free agency. 
 I think it’s a question of how much value do you give up? 

It's a bit different because they'd be locked into Adams BC contract due to the guarantee.  Pretty rare that a QB in that situation is traded rather than released.  Last one really was Collaros from Hamilton to Sask but with a restructure to lower his hard money.  There's really 3 teams that could be interested and I'm not sure why they'd want to take on both the amount of hard money for VAJ and the guarantee in 2026. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's a bit different because they'd be locked into Adams BC contract due to the guarantee.  Pretty rare that a QB in that situation is traded rather than released.  Last one really was Collaros from Hamilton to Sask but with a restructure to lower his hard money.  There's really 3 teams that could be interested and I'm not sure why they'd want to take on both the amount of hard money for VAJ and the guarantee in 2026. 

Bc would be looking at eating some cash is it’s all just balancing numbers. Edm with a new owner could well pull the trigger on that. 
 Blm trade to Hamilton too. Happens much more frequently with starting qbs. 

12 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Right? 
There’s no salary cap anymore, if there ever really was one. 
This marketing money stuff reminds me of Fluties “Personal Service” Contract in the 90s.