CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

On 2024-08-14 at 6:15 AM, Booch said:

That's what I had thought too...we think we have an albatross around our neckon one deal....they have a big fat one....question now will be...can they afford to protect him?.....afford to give him a receiver group like he had?....or afford to put a defence on the field to not have to put up 35+ points a game in order to win....that will be the interesting part of all this

You'll know something nefarious is up if Matthieu Betts gets cut in Detroit & the BC Lions then sign him. 

Eklks officially sold to former construction magnate Larry Thompson. Would only say that the EE will be the official brand. Non committal on name change & wouldn't say how much he paid for the team. In other words, fans know nothing. Welcome to private ownership & all its secrets, Elks fans. It's not the breath of fresh air you might think it is. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/15/edmonton-elks-introduce-larry-thompson-as-new-owner/

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

Not hearing anything in there about simply not being a bunch of blind, incompetent jack-wagons

whats a jack-wagon.......now if you would have replaced the word 'wagon' with 'offs' it would be more apt......I can't believe the incredulous reviews coming out of these guys....Obviously the wrong call by the refs were only magnified in a couple of occasions in TO  .... and a few of them in the review centre have been around football for quite awhile.....Nobody or no-body is perfect I guess, but I think the fans of this league should expect a lot better ,and the play reviews should be at least of a higher standard and in the ballpark

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

whats a jack-wagon.......now if you would have replaced the word 'wagon' with 'offs' it would be more apt......I can't believe the incredulous reviews coming out of these guys....Obviously the wrong call by the refs were only magnified in a couple of occasions in TO  .... and a few of them in the review centre have been around football for quite awhile.....Nobody or no-body is perfect I guess, but I think the fans of this league should expect a lot better ,and the play reviews should be at least of a higher standard and in the ballpark

SLO-mo, repeated replays as desired, many camera angles, access to rule book, experienced staff, numerous sets of eyes, unlimited time. The higher standard should be the minimum.  Besides the decision announced by the head ref, they should be compelled to provide a justification by real time tweet, cutting to the booth or other method for the decision to hold them accountable. Let them incompetent Bastages answer with their face and not some hide in the booth thoughtlessly absurd anonymity. 

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

In cricket, the command centre (equivalent) reviews the play live and explains their decision to everyone in the stadium and viewing on TV. I would like to see that level of transparency. Explain what you're seeing (and what you can't) and the decision (outcome). 

Or at the very least allow audio feed of their discussion at the Atco trailer they are using as a command center...then we can hear it live and make sense of how utterly incompetent they are at times....that alone may even make them a bit more conscious that people are listening and less apt to make the stupidest decisions...and if not....would make good comedy interludes as to the schmucks they employ

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

There are plenty of things every day that I would happily classify as woke garbage. This isn't anywhere near it. Even a little bit.

I liked the Eskimos. I liked the name, the history, etc. I was bummed that it had to go. But ultimately, it's a name that hurts certain people who would have been traditionally described as "eskimos" and as far as I've seen, nobody anywhere who would have been traditionally described as an "eskimo" has popped up to say that it is inoffensive, that they love the name and they'd hate to see it go.

So it gets firmly placed into the "this name sucks" category.

Edmonton Empire is still EE but Elks is fine also. You got lions tigers A bird a horse and an elk to go along with a roughrider argonaut red black and blue bomber. 

Of the remaining names that potentially could be cancelled like Eskimos was, only really RedBlack could be. Roughriders Argonauts and Blue Bombers don’t offend. 

wtf is a redblack anyways. Let’s all try to get it cancelled cuz we got that power. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Edmonton Empire is still EE but Elks is fine also. You got lions tigers A bird a horse and an elk to go along with a roughrider argonaut red black and blue bomber. 

Of the remaining names that potentially could be cancelled like Eskimos was, only really RedBlack could be. Roughriders Argonauts and Blue Bombers don’t offend. 

wtf is a redblack anyways. Let’s all try to get it cancelled cuz we got that power. 

I say that if Larry thompson doesn't name his team the Rough-Riders (my first choice for them) then for sure he ought to go with the GREENYELLOWS.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

In cricket, the command centre (equivalent) reviews the play live and explains their decision to everyone in the stadium and viewing on TV. I would like to see that level of transparency. Explain what you're seeing (and what you can't) and the decision (outcome). 

I understand what you’re getting at, but can you imagine those meatheads trying to explain their ruling?  It would be hilarious and/or infuriating.

I would love for the CFL to do something like this to hold the officials at least somewhat accountable.  I doubt it will ever happen though.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Bare minimum, I'd like them to say that when they aren't overturning the call on the field due to the video being inconclusive.