CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

25 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

It’s really outstanding how few points they’re giving up with literally the worst punter the team’s had in the last 40+ years. 

I'll see you a Sheehan and raise you a Jamie Boreham.

It's interesting when you look at the net punting stats.

Julien in Edmonton and Haggerty in TO are both outkicking Sheehan by 9-10 yards on average, which seems pretty huge, but it nets out to just 3 or 4 yards advantage. So in a punting duel with those teams, we're giving up 3 or 4 yards on every exchange.  not great, but not worst in team history.  We're also middle of the pack in terms of giving up big plays on special teams, from what I understand ball placement is a giant issue there, tough to get a big return on a ball that's well-placed between the numbers and the sideline.

Ottawa's special teams are wicked this year. They've got ten big plays (FG or punt return of 30+ yards or kickoff returns of 40 yards) and just one against.  mind you, those numbers don't take Deadmon's ball security issues into account.

Net punting is fine...but when other guys are driving the ball 15 to 20 yds further down the field and have a similar net punt...we still at a deficit...if we need him to boom a punt to kick us out of trouble...he can't unless one his line drive sqwuibs gets a lucky bounce or the returner botched it

More times than not it's an illegal kick...or the returner had already tore up the field for 15 and is in full gallop before anyone is even close...last yr was really bad...this yr our coverage has been lights out and making up for that...which is a bonus...Miller has them right dialed in

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

bad...this yr our coverage has been lights out and making up for that...which is a bonus...Miller has them right dialed in

It's ridiculous how good that group has become. They're on returners like a fat kid on a smartie. 

If we had a punter could boom the occasional kick teams would be a huge strength.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

looking at the standings, this is such a weird CFL season.  Usually by this point in the CFL season you have 3 clear tiers -- 2-3 legit contenders, 2-3 trash fires (one of whom will make the playoffs) and the rest are all mediocre pretenders.  But today we have a single elite team, a single trash fire, and everyone else is in the Maybe tier.

I could see promoting Ottawa up into the elite tier, they are finding ways to win ... but it all feels so fragile there.  Montreal and Ottawa play 2x in the final third of the season, could be the most interesting heavyweight tilts in the East in years.

When we dominated the league people talked about parity. Well now the whole league is on the same level lol. 

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

I'll see you a Sheehan and raise you a Jamie Boreham.

It's interesting when you look at the net punting stats.

Julien in Edmonton and Haggerty in TO are both outkicking Sheehan by 9-10 yards on average, which seems pretty huge, but it nets out to just 3 or 4 yards advantage. So in a punting duel with those teams, we're giving up 3 or 4 yards on every exchange.  not great, but not worst in team history.  We're also middle of the pack in terms of giving up big plays on special teams, from what I understand ball placement is a giant issue there, tough to get a big return on a ball that's well-placed between the numbers and the sideline.

Ottawa's special teams are wicked this year. They've got ten big plays (FG or punt return of 30+ yards or kickoff returns of 40 yards) and just one against.  mind you, those numbers don't take Deadmon's ball security issues into account.

The big difference is our kick cover has been exceptional this year, they are not only making up for shankahan getting us a net 15-20 punt on average almost twice per game, they could generate more field position with deeper kicks. 
 If Toronto kicked 10 yards deeper on punts it’d just be 10 more punt return yards. If we kicked it 10 deeper on punts we’d get probably 7-8 more yards net. 
 The proof is in the kick offs. The last month when Sergio has been averaging 70, we’ve been getting down field a making the extra yards count. 
 In bc Sergio averaged 73 yards per kick off, terry Williams who isn’t a bad returner, averaged just 22 per kick return.  He had a long of 27 on a freakin 80 yard kick off. Williams is averaging almost 24 yards per ko return this year too. So we kicked it deeper and still held him short of his average. 

Kick off cover is a bit easier than punt cover, but still these guys can get down field and make plays. Ayers is an old school pyramid busting kind of guy, he blows guys up who try to block him down field. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

The Riders I guess (as HC/DC they had a good Defence). Anywhere he was before the latest run in Edmonton. 

Super overlooked point. How many times this year has the opponent started on their own 40 or better and Bombers hold to a FG attempt or punt.
It’s really outstanding how few points they’re giving up with literally the worst punter the team’s had in the last 40+ years. 

Yep. The 21 D was lights out in the 4th in a freakish way, but this squad is playing a whole game with soo many more minutes on the field. 

JY is really flourishing, I’m sure having hall still here to support him is a huge help in how fast he’s adapted his vision and implemented it. With a green secondary no less. 
 they don’t have an award for CO of the year, but right now imo it’d come down to Jy and Ac. At this rate ac might pass buck for the next hc job

Yeah O’Mahoney (rip) and Jamie Borham were bad but they played like a combined 3 games here.

Westwood was awful when they tried him there at the tail end of his career.

I don’t recall a punter worse than Sheehan lasting even close to this long though. 

30 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Yeah O’Mahoney (rip) and Jamie Borham were bad but they played like a combined 3 games here.

Westwood was awful when they tried him there at the tail end of his career.

I don’t recall a punter worse than Sheehan lasting even close to this long though. 

Did O'Mahony even play a real game for us?  His two stints here were memorable but for the wrong reasons.  

In 2006, he didn't show up to camp and his wife had to file a missing persons report before he eventually turned up.  He was released so he could focus on his issues.

We re-signed him in 2008 but he stubbed his toe while taking a leak the night before the first game of the season. I don't remember him ever actually getting in a game except pre-season (where he was admittedly overweight and out of shape).

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

It's ridiculous how good that group has become. They're on returners like a fat kid on a smartie. 

If we had a punter could boom the occasional kick teams would be a huge strength.

I’m going to impress my relations with this analogy. Lol

58 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/21/no-apology-needed-breaking-down-nathan-rourkes-struggles-against-winnipegs-elite-defence/

trying soo hard to put a shine on his game wow just gross. The national media is a joke. 

Calling them media is generous... but yeah disgusting attempt to polish Rourkes turd of a game. They'd be better for implying admitting that he never should have played that game.

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

I didn't think he had 3 full practices prior to the game, looked like a guy that learned the playbook on the plane

It hardly changed tho from when he was there...and likely implemented some stuff that he was very successful with and liked...so the rusty excuse is a bit of a reach..and he was very familiar with things. I can see if he had never stepped foot on a CFL field...and if it was a totally new team...but was neither...and he had 2 yrs in the CFL already...he didn't forget the game...especially if he as smart as they claimed in media and was this quickest ever to process things...I certain he will show better moving forward but right now the media and TSN just back tracking and trying to spin things cause they had egg all over their faces

2 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Calling them media is generous... but yeah disgusting attempt to polish Rourkes turd of a game. They'd be better for implying admitting that he never should have played that game.

This too...was the stupidest decision ever..and a good way to ruin a guy...or get him hurt

20 minutes ago, Booch said:

It hardly changed tho from when he was there...and likely implemented some stuff that he was very successful with and liked...so the rusty excuse is a bit of a reach..and he was very familiar with things. I can see if he had never stepped foot on a CFL field...and if it was a totally new team...but was neither...and he had 2 yrs in the CFL already...he didn't forget the game...especially if he as smart as they claimed in media and was this quickest ever to process things...I certain he will show better moving forward but right now the media and TSN just back tracking and trying to spin things cause they had egg all over their faces

This too...was the stupidest decision ever..and a good way to ruin a guy...or get him hurt

What I'm confused about is there are some posters here that defend him and say he did as good as expected and will get better.

I agree on the get better part and he's more than likely going to shine in this league if he stays long enough but, just for argument sake, lets say this 'he did as good as expected' sentiment is shared by his coaches and if this is what they expected prior to starting him its not really putting their team in the best position to be successful is it? Or is it they have absolutely no confidence in their other QB's who have more practice/game experience under their belt?

Edited by HardCoreBlue

13 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

What I'm confused about is there are some posters here say that defend him and say he did as good as expected and will get better.

I agree on the get better part but, just for argument sake, lets say this 'he did as good as expected' sentiment is shared by his coaches and if this is what they expected prior to starting him its not really putting their team in the best position to be successful is it? Or is it they have absolutely no confidence in their other QB's who have more practice/game experience under their belt?

My opinion...they were trying to catch a wave to stop the bleeding and hopefully have the whole team riled up to the point they'd steamroll the Bombers.  And in all honestly probably sell some tickets given the market.

They knew with Dolegala they probably lose anyways.

I don't think they needed the cap space because they could 6 game Adams.  They could have signed Rourke and let him practice last week as a backup, takeover for the next game in Ottawa off a full week with 1 meeting day and 3 practices.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

You’re right. The national muppets. Still too generous. 
 Nailed it, also maybe admit that they have hyped him to the moon and he’s still a young un proven qb. Not a “national super hero”. 

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

I didn't think he had 3 full practices prior to the game, looked like a guy that learned the playbook on the plane

That’s a decent chunk but he hasn’t been on a Canadian football field in 2 years. I expect about a month of rust.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

What I'm confused about is there are some posters here that defend him and say he did as good as expected and will get better.

I agree on the get better part and he's more than likely going to shine in this league if he stays long enough but, just for argument sake, lets say this 'he did as good as expected' sentiment is shared by his coaches and if this is what they expected prior to starting him its not really putting their team in the best position to be successful is it? Or is it they have absolutely no confidence in their other QB's who have more practice/game experience under their belt?

You can always play better. Biting hard on db bait 4 times leading to two picks and a dropped pick could’ve been better rust or no. He could’ve used his legs more and made the game way easier on him self. 
 He was in a bad spot for sure. But I don’t think he played as well as he could. He wasn’t going to have 300 yards and 3 plus tds. 
he will for sure develop and get better. No idea if he will come close to maxing out his potential or become an nfl player or a perennial top qb up here. 

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You’re right. The national muppets. Still too generous. 
 Nailed it, also maybe admit that they have hyped him to the moon and he’s still a young un proven qb. Not a “national super hero”. 

That’s a decent chunk but he hasn’t been on a Canadian football field in 2 years. I expect about a month of rust.

You can always play better. Biting hard on db bait 4 times leading to two picks and a dropped pick could’ve been better rust or no. He could’ve used his legs more and made the game way easier on him self. 
 He was in a bad spot for sure. But I don’t think he played as well as he could. He wasn’t going to have 300 yards and 3 plus tds. 
he will for sure develop and get better. No idea if he will come close to maxing out his potential or become an nfl player or a perennial top qb up here. 

Rourke probably hasn't been in a relaxed state of mind for many years with the numerous tryouts he's endured, once he gets past the stress of performing, his performance is likely to improve immensely.