CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

13 minutes ago, Booch said:

I can’t believe those dirt bags actually had Lemon around the team and playing during the appeal. Bush league organization. 

17 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I hope he got half a million up front.  Otherwise incredibly stupid career move.  Likely doesn't have an agent.

He still has the NFL option open to him. There is no guarantee he doesn't try again although he may have some big bonus going into 2025 and big salary to consider now. He won't be on an ELC now.

6 hours ago, Blue In BC said:

He still has the NFL option open to him. There is no guarantee he doesn't try again although he may have some big bonus going into 2025 and big salary to consider now. He won't be on an ELC now.

Yeah but even if he's just a CFLer he's killed his ability to get any signing bonuses as a FA every year or two, whether he stays with Montreal or not.  And he's put his career entirely in Montreal's hands.  He's got no leverage through the prime years of his career.

There's basically no reason for a CFL player to sign a contract more than 2-3 years unless they are getting insane money to sign...like 4 years of FA style signing bonus.

7 hours ago, Booch said:

Als beat writer Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette is all over the CFL on X for their horrible treatment of poor, poor Sean saying his suspension is worse than Kelly's & that the CFL is a hpocite. These are two completely different situations so I'm not going to debate the merits of both suspensions so don't even try.  Especially since it wasn't my decision to suspend either player. Zurkowsky is a homer.

I will say that Lemon was a veteran player who knew better but thought he'd never get caught. The NBA & MLB have given long suspensions to their players. i also believe that an Ottawa Senator was suspended half a season last year for gambling so certainly the precedent is there for a long suspension for Lemon. I think the suspension will cover Lemon for the rest of his playing days & prevent him from ever seeing his bust in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

In any amateur sport a violation like Lemon's would make him an ineligible player from the time of the violation on....meaning any wins a team got with him on the roster wouldn't count.

Montreal should feel lucky that's not the case here.

The players get lengthy training every year from league and union on the gambling issue.  There's no excuse.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Als beat writer Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette is all over the CFL on X for their horrible treatment of poor, poor Sean saying his suspension is worse than Kelly's & that the CFL is a hpocite. These are two completely different situations so I'm not going to debate the merits of both suspensions so don't even try.  Especially since it wasn't my decision to suspend either player. Zurkowsky is a homer.

I will say that Lemon was a veteran player who knew better but thought he'd never get caught. The NBA & MLB have given long suspensions to their players. i also believe that an Ottawa Senator was suspended half a season last year for gambling so certainly the precedent is there for a long suspension for Lemon. I think the suspension will cover Lemon for the rest of his playing days & prevent him from ever seeing his bust in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

Herb is a good writer, but about as bent as riderfans.com he’s blindly defended all the stupidest things the als have done. 

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not surprised. He had chemistry with Dru. 

Nice move for them. 

Bc continues to try to buy a contender. Wonder if they will be the first team to get more than the monetary fine for cap violations. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

lol I guess they’re not even pretending to play by the rules of a salary cap 

I tell you what, we better go out and buy all the free agents in the off season. We keep missing out on adding established free agents for cap reasons while making the most money as a franchise. Clearly the cap is out the window, time to spend. 

30 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

$145,000 for 7 games of Betts and wasn't Rouke $300,000. What CFL team has $445,000 ins salary room half way through the season? Seems shady as ****.

A team that has Patrice Rene and Adrien Greene starting at SAM and HB.

Ryder Varga and Ben Hladik taking most snaps at middle and WIL.

Look at their OL.

They kept money back for these guys.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

3 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

A team that has Patrice Rene and Adrien Greene starting at SAM and HB.

Ryder Varga and Ben Hladik taking most snaps at middle and WIL.

Look at their OL.

They kept money back for these guys.

Hladik makes $141,000 if 3DNation is to be believed and Lokombo makes $148,000. They didn't go entirely cheap on D this year.

Chungh is 200k, Couture is 180k.

Peters is 140k.

Their roster's not as cheap as you think.