CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hladik makes $141,000 if 3DNation is to be believed and Lokombo makes $148,000. They didn't go entirely cheap on D this year.

Chungh is 200k, Couture is 180k.

Peters is 140k.

Their roster's not as cheap as you think.

Yeah it is.  They've got almost nothing high end.  They didn't replace anyone they lost on the DL.  They replaced Rhymes with rookies.

Hatcher was down for the first 6.  The only guy they paid on D has been down all season (Woods).  Couture was down for first 6.  TJ Lee was down for 6.  They cut Dolegala immediately which covers about 1/3 of Rourke for rest of season.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Herb is a good writer, but about as bent as riderfans.com he’s blindly defended all the stupidest things the als have done.

Like Farhan with the Lions.

2 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Farhan trying hard to sell the signing.

Cheat. So, according to lalji, teams that spend to the cap but not beyond are not committed to winning??? What a bunch of BS. The salary cap should be blown up.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I have no issues with the BC Lions blowing out their brains on SMS on two players. Both are highly over rated imo. Rourke isn't much better than what they already had as VA was playing good football for them, and Betts is a one trick pony who was badly exposed last year by the Bombers. Other teams seem to have trouble with him, but we gave them a blue print on how to make him look like a tool out there. RUN AT HIM.

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I have no issues with the BC Lions blowing out their brains on SMS on two players. Both are highly over rated imo. Rourke isn't much better than what they already had as VA was playing good football for them, and Betts is a one trick pony who was badly exposed last year by the Bombers. Other teams seem to have trouble with him, but we gave them a blue print on how to make him look like a tool out there. RUN AT HIM.

and be physical with him...pouts....and is totally inneffective....one more overated guys out there

40 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I don't really have an issue with a team going (marginally) over the cap. 

We've done it.  Other teams have done it.  Hell, BC was over the cap last year as well.

It'll be interesting to see how far over they DO go and whether or not it costs them a draft pick.

1 hour ago, voodoochylde said:

We've done it.  Other teams have done it.  Hell, BC was over the cap last year as well.

It'll be interesting to see how far over they DO go and whether or not it costs them a draft pick.

Or possibly two draft picks.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The other draft pick could come from trading Adams. 

Sure...but that still doesn't negate losing 2 draft picks. It offsets the losses but it doesn't make them go away. Instead on having 4 potential (trade and NAT content) picks the Lions would have 2 meaning they have lost all value for Adams and playing NAT players. It's very poor roster management.

Edited by GCn20

8 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Sure...but that still doesn't negate losing 2 draft picks. It offsets the losses but it doesn't make them go away. Instead on having 4 potential (trade and NAT content) picks the Lions would have 2 meaning they have lost all value for Adams and playing NAT players. It's very poor roster management.

They are playing to win the Grey Cup this year.  They could give a rip about the 2025 CFL Draft.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They are playing to win the Grey Cup this year.  They could give a rip about the 2025 CFL Draft.

Obviously. It's boom or bust for them in that regard. However, it does come at a cost down the road and I don't feel that Betts will be a difference maker, or at least not enough of one. They added Rourke and Betts at great expense and for this year I don't feel it minimizes any of their weaknesses really.  I can understand the Rourke signing given he is a franchise QB that will likely be better than what they had for the next few years. Betts at 150k for the remainder.....doesn't help them enough imo.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Or possibly two draft picks.

I can't  find the salary cap penalties at the moment but when the football ops cap was introduced, the penalties could reach up to a fine of $250k & the loss of up to 3 draft picks.  I would imagine the players cap has similar penalties.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/06/cfl-introduces-non-player-football-operations-cap/

For the first $100,000 over the cap, the fine is the equivalent of the amount by which the limit has been exceeded. For any amount over $100,000, penalties range from a minimum of a $25,000 fine and the loss of one second-round draft pick to a maximum of a $250,000 fine and the loss of three draft picks.

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

I can't  find the salary cap penalties at the moment but when the football ops cap was introduced, the penalties could reach up to a fine of $250k & the loss of up to 3 draft picks.  I would imagine the players cap has similar penalties.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/06/cfl-introduces-non-player-football-operations-cap/

300k+ over is the loss of your first two picks.

22 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

True, but are those draft picks worth more than Betts is to them? He's a guaranteed Canuck starter who was the league leader in sacks last year. The draft picks are complete unknowns at this point in time.

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

True, but are those draft picks worth more than Betts is to them? He's a guaranteed Canuck starter who was the league leader in sacks last year. The draft picks are complete unknowns at this point in time.

He is a canuck starter for 8 games. Are the draft picks worth more than that? I believe so. Had Betts come back on a multi-year contract, I would agree with your argument. However, he's made it well known that he will be shopping his services to the highest bidder at the end of this year.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He is a canuck starter for 8 games. Are the draft picks worth more than that? I believe so. Had Betts come back on a multi-year contract, I would agree with your argument. However, he's made it well known that he will be shopping his services to the highest bidder at the end of this year.

and really...he had 1 good yr since he has been in the league...and majority of it occured first half the season ...then teams figured him out and more games than not you had to actually look to see if he was even playing...he was a non factor

3 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

Not with you on this one. 

Then why have one if it becomes normalized in breaking it? Looks like its just for show.

I think it should be more of you go over the cap you will pay dearly for doing that.

Right now teams don't even think twice cuz they ain't paying dearly for it.

Just now, Booch said:

and really...he had 1 good yr since he has been in the league...and majority of it occured first half the season ...then teams figured him out and more games than not you had to actually look to see if he was even playing...he was a non factor

I agree. We exposed him last year by running at him with awesome results and then his DC was forced to make Betts start being gap responsible instead of going pure pass rush every play and his numbers fell off dramatically. 

22 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not with you on this one. 

Then why have one if it becomes normalized in breaking it? Looks like its just for show.

I think it should be more of you go over the cap you will pay dearly for doing that.

Right now teams don't even think twice cuz they ain't paying dearly for it.

It's not a hard cap.  It's a system to keep salaries in a range.

If they want a hard cap they should enforce it daily or weekly.

2 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

They'll gain a draft pick for playing the most Canadians.

That's wpgs title. I'm doubtful anyone comes close to WPG this season.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

We won't see Betts until the playoffs. 

Betts doesn't play in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Depending on the draft yr. I'd argue yes the picks are worth more. But that's really getting into the nit picky area of things. Their pushing for a home GC appearance so I get the all out mentality.