CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, no71 said:

I call bullshit.

8 hours ago, no71 said:

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Durant is making stuff up to cover for being a douchebag.

And even if by chance that one unnamed coach did indeed say that, have follow-up discussions with other coaches/management to verify what kind of culture he’s heading into. Having a discussion with one person than bailing on the team seems sus to me.

I'd like to thank Duraint for his great decision making. Without him backing out of his contract things may have looked very different for the Bombers. Who knows....maybe the Riders would have made a few more GCs? Not only did he leave money for the Bombers to sign one of their most impactful players but he also opened the door for Streveler. Both of those players have absolutely torched the Riders over the past 5 years. 

All's fair in love and war!! Thanks for your timing Duraint! Hope to see you retire a Bomber one day!!

3 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

And even if by chance that one unnamed coach did indeed say that, have follow-up discussions with other coaches/management to verify what kind of culture he’s heading into. Having a discussion with one person than bailing on the team seems sus to me.

I mean...their track record speaks for itself. Also...what was he expecting? How many guys miss out on their family time to play pro ball? I don't get it....did he think after every practice he'd be able to fly home? After every game? Those comments were confusing

There was also this from when this happened

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/darian-durant-retire-bomers-riders-1.4658497

Durant didn't tell the Winnipeg Blue Bombers about his decision, the team said in a statement released shortly after Durant's announcement.

"We were notified through social media this morning that he has decided to retire from professional football," said Bombers general manager Kyle Walters. "While we respect his decision, we are of course are extremely disappointed.

"Until recently, Darian had given us every indication that he was accepting of his role as a backup and prepared to help our offence in any capacity possible."

36 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Durant is making stuff up to cover for being a douchebag.

And the Winnipeg Blue Bombers went on without him to have some of the greatest success in almost 90 years of history! He missed it. He failed. 

Edited by Rod Black

I know we officially all hate Durant for being a Rider and reneging on his contract with the Bombers but what he is saying rings true to me and my experience in the workforce and having young kids. So many of the older generations never say their young kids because they worked all the time.  The club and Osh have been great with new dads on the team in recent years but that doesn't mean that all the coaches feel the same way or wouldn't have said something like that. I've had bosses say the exact same thing to me and it has rubbed me the wrong way too. 

Having kids changes you and if you're facing the prospect of being away from your family when they are young having the chance to be closer to them, I totally understand what he did. 

Just now, blue85gold said:

I know we officially all hate Durant for being a Rider and reneging on his contract with the Bombers but what he is saying rings true to me and my experience in the workforce and having young kids. So many of the older generations never say their young kids because they worked all the time.  The club and Osh have been great with new dads on the team in recent years but that doesn't mean that all the coaches feel the same way or wouldn't have said something like that. I've had bosses say the exact same thing to me and it has rubbed me the wrong way too. 

Having kids changes you and if you're facing the prospect of being away from your family when they are young having the chance to be closer to them, I totally understand what he did. 

But realistically...what did he want? Did the team say....no you can't move your family here? It'd be different if he was working in the same city...nevermind the same country. Every pro athlete misses family time. Making it out that it's some unique thing to the bombers doesn't make sense.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

But realistically...what did he want? Did the team say....no you can't move your family here? It'd be different if he was working in the same city...nevermind the same country. Every pro athlete misses family time. Making it out that it's some unique thing to the bombers doesn't make sense.

Also, I guess he learned that he had a family after he signed the contract? 

13 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Did you take a signing bonus and retire? 

Edited by Rod Black

25 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

It's not adding up for me.  Durant would have mostly been dealing with MOS, Lapo & Buck.  MOS's record stands for itself on this type of thing. Lapo has talked about how having kids changed the way he managed his work/life balance so he could be home more so I don't think it would have come from him.  Buck has turned down job offers to keep him family settled here so I don't see it being him either.  So who else would have had that much influence on a back-up veteran QB?

If Durant talked to the assistant junior waterboy and got his panties in a bunch, well that's on him but it sounds like bullshit to me.

Edited by bigg jay

6 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Would if I could. Family is what is important. Work is just work. 

absolutely. I'm not arguing that he should have been fine with missing family time. I've made professional decisions based on that too. But to make it out like it was something the Bombers specifically wouldn't allow doesn't make sense on many different levels. Mostly based on what we've seen since he quit. Nevermind all the babies that have been born, guys with older kids always have them around. 

also lets not pretend that if you got a signing bonus to join a new employer and then immediately changed your mind, there wouldn't be consequences. Chances are you would have been legally required to pay it back and burned all and any bridges with that company. Duraint shouldn't be running his mouth to the media about that situation imo.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

An ******* of the highest order... **** him and his complaints. As mentioned, because of him ******* off, we got Bighill and opened the door for Strev.... Good riddance to bad rubbish. 

Seems he is trying to say he has never had an unfavourable opinion mentioned to him, ever. Yet, this version comes out 5 years after he bailed. It’s not unusual even common for a “news” release will mention they are leaving for family reasons. But he must be really slow, not realizing he had a family. 

48 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Tell me if this story adds up:

1. Durant signs with the Bombers.

2. Durant has second thoughts and contemplates retiring because he wants to spend more time with his family.

3. Durant talks to a coach who says "yeah, you might not see your kids much...I didn't".

4. Durant retires because the Bombers aren't family oriented.

Even if you believe #3, how does #4 make even the slightest bit of sense?