CFL - 2024 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

Bunch of garbage.  The alleged statement from the coach doesn’t even make sense.  If he wasn’t around when his kids were born and raised, how would he know you’re not missing much?  He apparently wasn’t there to know what he was or wasn’t missing.  Just ridiculous.  The team’s track record speaks for itself…. Eff off Durant.

15 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Tell me if this story adds up:

1. Durant signs with the Bombers. 

2. Durant has second thoughts and contemplates retiring because he wants to spend more time with his family.

3. Durant talks to a coach who says "yeah, you might not see your kids much...I didn't".

4. Durant retires because the Bombers aren't family oriented.

Even if you believe #3, how does #4 make even the slightest bit of sense?

1-3 all add up. Change number 4 to what was said to him rubbed him the wrong way and since he already had second thoughts he decided to just retire. 

100% believe that a coach could have said that. A partner at my office said that to my colleague last week. 

1 hour ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Didn't he basically gloat about his bonus after he retired or am I making that up?

I seem to recall he took the Bomber signing bonus and purchased an ugly green pickup truck with the signing bonus shortly afterwards and had the temerity to post photos of himself standing beside it mocking the Bombers.

12 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

1-3 all add up. Change number 4 to what was said to him rubbed him the wrong way and since he already had second thoughts he decided to just retire. 

100% believe that a coach could have said that. A partner at my office said that to my colleague last week. 

Okay fair enough a lot of us with young children have experienced this in the workforce but the point remains did he have follow-up conversations with management/other coaches before bailing? Before taking the signing bonus, did he communicate his family needs with management?

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

Would if I could. Family is what is important. Work is just work. 

I dont buy his "excuse/reasoning"

Part and parcel of being a pro athlete...He could have moved his family with him...did they not live with them in Sask? Also he obviously had child before he signed with us, or they were expecting the kiddo...regardless he knew that he knew he would have a child, and if he couldn't have moved them all here...he's be absent for parts of it....so regardless of where he played...it wouldn't have made a difference....just a putz if u ask me, and prob butt hurt when told he would be essentiallyb a back-up....and best decision ever he didnt show...and subsequently got suspended and is still tied to us...hahah...cant retire a Rider unless we allow it

Personally I think it's just Durant enjoying his additional 30 mins of fame and getting shown on TSN during the LDC.   Of course some media moron (likely from Sask) is going to slobber on the QB that lead the Riders to their historic 4th GC win in 100+ years of existence, and ask why he decided to retire, to give him an extra 5 mins of glory.

Like others have said, F-Off Durant.. we became a better team without you.

For me, the issue is that he took the bonus, given to him with the expectation he would honour his contract.  He decided to back out.  It doesn't matter at all why.  An honourable person would return the money.  He didn't.  Tells me everything I need to know about his character.  If he wants to spend more time with his family, great, but while being with them it might also be a good idea to teach his kids what it looks like to be someone who keeps their word. 

4 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

For me, the issue is that he took the bonus, given to him with the expectation he would honour his contract.  He decided to back out.  It doesn't matter at all why.  An honourable person would return the money.  He didn't.  Tells me everything I need to know about his character.  If he wants to spend more time with his family, great, but while being with them it might also be a good idea to teach his kids what it looks like to be someone who keeps their word. 

Exactly.  It’s called integrity and he clearly has none.

Message to Durant......Give us our money back......and nobody is believing the 'mystery coach' line ya crook.....so go to your pals in Regina and ask them to pony up the 70 grand....Probably going to come up empty on that one however cuz nobody believes a bull$hitter......................

1 hour ago, blue85gold said:

100%. I get that he wanted to spend time with the family. That all makes sense.

What doesn't, is his claim the bombers arent family oriented. Of course a coach would say that...because as a pro athlete living in a different city from your family means only 1 thing. Again it just doesn't make sense. He's either just straight up lying or there's more to the story along the lines of the bombers not allowing certain things. But we've got plenty of examples from plenty of players/coaches that clearly show they will allow any player to put their families first. Be it birth/death etc.

“I definitely was interested and had every intention to go to Winnipeg and play (that year).”

but I just had my first child and I was contemplating retiring because I just had a baby and I wanted to be there and going to Winnipeg would have took away from that,”

These two contradictory quotes were half a sentence a part lmao. You can’t be contemplating retirement and have every intent to come here. Such a clown. Either it’d be mos, or more likely buck he talked to. 

Football isn’t family friendly. And that sucks. It’s fine to change your mind after your kid is born, and is go so far as to say he made the right call in retiring and staying home with his kid. Stealing the bonus cash however is greasy af. Lying about it now is also greasy. Such a prick. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

“I definitely was interested and had every intention to go to Winnipeg and play (that year).”

but I just had my first child and I was contemplating retiring because I just had a baby and I wanted to be there and going to Winnipeg would have took away from that,”

These two contradictory quotes were half a sentence a part lmao. You can’t be contemplating retirement and have every intent to come here. Such a clown. Either it’d be mos, or more likely buck he talked to. 

Football isn’t family friendly. And that sucks. It’s fine to change your mind after your kid is born, and is go so far as to say he made the right call in retiring and staying home with his kid. Stealing the bonus cash however is greasy af. Lying about it now is also greasy. Such a prick. 

He may be telling the complete truth as to his reason for not coming but it will never change the fact that he stole 70k.

Durants decision gave our organization and the league a run it hasn't seen in an eternity. His statement seems to be a "throw it and see if it sticks" hail mary.

**** Darian, he could've been a part of the good side of back to back Grey Cups.

As the famous quote goes......."congratulations, you played, yourself".

1 minute ago, Nolby said:

Durants decision gave our organization and the league a run it hasn't seen in an eternity. His statement seems to be a "throw it and see if it sticks" hail mary.

**** Darian, he could've been a part of the good side of back to back Grey Cups.

As the famous quote goes......."congratulations, you played, yourself".

Darian has been openly, almost shamelessly, letting every team in the CFL know he would take a coaching job. Nobody will touch him with a 10 foot pole now because of how greasy he is. Didn't think that through enuff did ya Darian?

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

"I can't really hear what Darian Durant says because I've two grey cups rings plugging my ears" 

-Kyle Walters (probably)

I see you put an S at the end of ears, suggesting Walters is not French

Edited by Nolby